Grey imports

puzzler

I love Mavic wheels, but they don't have back-up plan! I had to run from shops to shops for SL spokes. The agent kept saying the parts are on way to SA, but they can't say when they will arrive. Bull sh*t!  I gave it up for Easton wheels which have good agent Ominco. I admire them!    

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce

Have the Mavic importers really : 

- specifically trained staff ? (if so where are they) ?

- significantly invesed in stock and spare parts to ensure the availability of the product ?

- provided meaningful support for warranty replacements ?

If they haven't, your arguments about why they should charge high prices are simply wrong.

Wow i am overwhelmed by the response. One thing seems clear though there is huge confusion regarding serial numbers.

A serial number is a unique number that  is assigned for identification which varies from its successor or predecessor.

Serial numbers are valuable in quality control and  part reorder.

Serial numbers are also used as a deterrent against theft and counterfeit products, as serial numbers can be recorded, and stolen or otherwise irregular goods can be identified.

It makes sense that products with out serial numbers are not official so are kinda void of the manufacturers warranty.

Unauthorized dealers either knowingly deceive the consumer by telling them that the product is covered by the manufacturers warranty or do the repairs themselves.

Makes you think doesn't it.

But the Choice is yours !
puzzler2008-10-17 02:54:23

LOLLOLLOL Not when you order Mavic parts.

If you are a Mavic representative, I challenge you to refund me for the R400's worth of parts you made me wait weeks for. Angry

Wow i am overwhelmed by the response. One thing seems clear though there is huge confusion regarding serial numbers.

A serial number is a unique number that  is assigned for identification which varies from its successor or predecessor.

Serial numbers are also used as a deterrent against theft and counterfeit products' date=' as serial numbers can be recorded, and stolen or otherwise irregular goods can be identified.

It makes sense that products with out serial numbers are not official so are kinda void of the manufacturers warranty.

Unauthorized dealers either knowingly deceive the consumer by telling them that the product is covered by the manufacturers warranty or do the repairs themselves.

[/quote']

You are just so trolling for trouble smart @ss.

Maybe if you know so much, you can confirm if Mavics serial numbers are stickers as posted earlier. This would save me checking when I get home.

Oh, and FYI I've just removed Mavic off my shopping list, just like I have with Shimano, the reason being I don't appreciate the importers business practices.

markStockton2008-10-17 03:01:45

Bruce

I too agree with most of your points BUT someone is getting screwed. Why is it that LBS's in most instances get higher wholesale prices quoted to them by the large local distributors for groupsets than customers can get online???

Why too did a friend have to wait over 2 months for a new XTR components from the local suppliers. How can Shimano not have stock of XTR components?? Why was there such a large lead time, when surely the official agent could have flown in what was required?

Whilst reading this thread I have just received a box directly from Selle Royal (Fi'zik) with two custom saddles. From placing of order on their website to delivery (about 15mins ago) was a total of 10days. Total cost - about R350 more than bog standard ones from the agent (including shipping). Brilliant service!!!! Thats why customers are avoiding the agents!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the serial numbers only put on complete wheels?

Meaning if a wheel was put together by someone not working in the Mavic sweatshop, but still using all the relevant Mavic parts, it would be just as good (or even better, depending on the builder) as the Mavic 'original', only it would not have a serial number?

Serial numbers are also used as a deterrent against theft and counterfeit products' date=' as serial numbers can be recorded, and stolen or otherwise irregular goods can be identified.

[/quote']

You are just so trolling for trouble smart @ss.

Maybe if you know so much, you can confirm if Mavics serial numbers are stickers as posted earlier. This would save me checking when I get home.

Yeah, and if mine has got those stickers/barcode/serial numbers on them, what then? Does it mean that mine is "not grey" and as a result there will be backup service from the "Supplier" and I can get spares for my rims. If there is none of the above, is there then no backup?

Bruce

I too agree with most of your points BUT someone is getting screwed. Why is it that LBS's in most instances get higher wholesale prices quoted to them by the large local distributors for groupsets than customers can get online???

Why too did a friend have to wait over 2 months for a new XTR components from the local suppliers. How can Shimano not have stock of XTR components?? Why was there such a large lead time' date=' when surely the official agent could have flown in what was required?

Whilst reading this thread I have just received a box directly from Selle Royal (Fi'zik) with two custom saddles. From placing of order on their website to delivery (about 15mins ago) was a total of 10days. Total cost - about R350 more than bog standard ones from the agent (including shipping). Brilliant service!!!! Thats why customers are avoiding the agents!!!

[/quote']

You guys who import/shop over seas have to remember that the agents over here have Minimum Orders they have to fill before the supplier will even ship to SA. I believe that Shimano SA etc cant just order 3 XTR group sets when you want one.

Plus if orders are too small, by international standards, they will charge more to ship this smaller order or just sell the stock to UK/USA over SA.

Dont flame me for being a newby on this forum.

Edit: spelling
Ghostface2008-10-17 03:21:07

Bruce

Why too did a friend have to wait over 2 months for a new XTR components from the local suppliers. How can Shimano not have stock of XTR components?? Why was there such a large lead time' date=' when surely the official agent could have flown in what was required?

[/quote']

You guys who import/shop over seas have to remember that the agents over here have Minimum Orders they have to fill before the supplier will even ship to SA. I believe that Shimano SA etc cant just order 3 XTR group sets when you want one.

Plus if orders are too small, by international standards, they will charge more to ship this smaller order or just sell the stock to UK/USA over SA.

Dont flame me for being a newby no this forum.

Welcome and enjoy!

Personally I expect the agents to have minimum stock levels and order BEFORE they run out of stock otherwise they will be bypassed.  Why else are they there?  They claim it's expensive to carry stock and then moan they can't order small quantities!!  What a joke.

Unauthorized dealers either knowingly deceive the consumer ...

What about authorised dealers who make out that serial numbers provide protection against theft or that the manufacturers warranty will be speedily honoured  ...  or that there will be a stock of spares, or they have sepcially trained staff, or that what they sell is really better than what the grey market sells ?

I would support the authorised dealers, and even be prepared to pay a reasonable amount more, if they produced the goods but my experience is if its backup or efficiency you are after, you may as well go grey.

Plus if orders are too small' date=' by international standards, they will charge more to ship this smaller order or just sell the stock to UK/USA over SA.

[/quote']

Would you care to explain how Solomons Trading, CWC and some others manage to overcome this issue? With the amount Coolheat charge the LBS, they can definitely afford to keep a good stock holding. 

Bruce

[/quote']

My point exactly - there are minimum order sizes for bulk shipments (sea), but in most cases not for airfreight!! As as a distributor, you should bring in these products (even at a loss) to ensure that these parts are available. BUT because the agents have control of the market, they will merely add the order to following shipment and tell their clients to wait until stock arrives - try telling that to someone who needs a new bb or crankset.......Confused

I like to keep my nose out of these 'debates' but what has started as a defamatory post by PUSSLER has now ended in more people willing to support CWC.

Well done pussler!