Deep section wheels...

T-Bag

EISH!

Are tubeless tyres so good that they are worth R500.00 a puncture?

Are they a good idea for ordinary joe's? I mean people who race, but don't get team cars and road side support with spare wheels etc.

I wouldn't want to use them for training etc.

I was reading up on the pro's and con's of clinchers vs tubbies.(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html). Interesting reading!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

101% - daar is nog stitching op die tubbies, dis net toegeplak met 'n soort tape. Ek het myne al ingegee en die ou het dit oopgemaak en reggemaak, alles "old school"...

Splat -  die voordeel met die tubby is dat hy nie "snake bites" gee nie, as jy hom hard genoeg pomp. Jy kan dus 'n klip/mancover/pothole baie hard slaan en die kanse is baie goed dat jy nie 'n pap wiel sal kry nie. Ek het "slime" of gorillasnot in myne en dit se?l alle gate. Dis net glas wat 'n probleem is. In die 2 jaar wat ek met die tubbies ry het ek nog net 3 of 4 keer 'n pap wiel gekry, maar dit was in belangrike wedrenne. Ek het nie 'n span voertuig nie, so ek was liggies gev.k gewees. Ek gebruik hulle ook net vir wedrenne. En 'n tubby op 'n diep-seksie carbon wiel ry baie lekker!

I have heard that tubbies are far better than clinchers but in the 3 years since I started using Michelin racepro tyres I haven't had a single puncture.

Personally I'll take any disadvantages the clinchers come with for the trade-off of not being stuck on the side of the road when puncturing.

If you want to spend a few thousand rand less get the Fulcrums, They are exactley the same as the Bora's Just a different name and for that different name you pay a few grand less!

i have a pair of spinergy stealth pbo clinchers with alu brake surface & very happy with them. 

1695g for the pair - you wont get many lighter deep-section clinchers.

i see spinergy also have a FCC model - full carbon clincher @ 1500g for the pair!

won't mind a pair of ZIPP404's with tubs,  but that would have to wait.

Spinergy's are great - i rode with them as well - wonderfull wheels!

But i ride on Cosmic Carbone SL now - quite possibly the only wheels u should ride on. I expect a formal written apology from anyone else who mentions the words Zipp or Easton on this thread ever again... Angry LOL

But puncturing with a tubby is costly  

How does one fix a punctured tubby? You surely don't throw it away and buy a new one? Dead

Ive heard in the old days they used to unstitch the seem and pull the tube out and repair them. But these days I think tubbies are made a bit different cause I dont see any stitching ' date=' I also dont know anybody thats tried and been successfull at repairs. So every puncture one gets , sets you back around R500.Ouch
[/quote']

For some reason I seem to think that David and Johann Labuschagne fix their own tubbies? Was talking to David about about it one afternoon Tongue

zip zip zip' date=' easton easton easton[/quote']

U can email that apology to apologies@me.the.greatest LOL

tooHot!!!! - are you coming to GP for the H2H/

I have been thinking about it... when is it?

There is someone i would like to meet in JHB as well Wink

Dunno if i am gonna be fit by then... have to see how my training goes... and what my coach says....

Smile

no, not my PT gril, someone else ...... someone foreign .... but she lives here in Gauteng

(i will say no more)

Will let u know if i am doing it Dr Seuss Smile