Best place to shop in JHB?

bored girl

Sounds quite bad, sorry to hear that happened in his shop.

Don't know the details but having my own business, can't see myslef getting into "fights" with customers.

Needless to say, give them a try, make up your own mind on what you think of them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bored Girl, if you are in Rosebank / Sandton area, try

Morningside Cycles

SlipStream

Mikes Bikes

Dunkeld Cyles

Illovo Cycles

Or even Tony Impey in Bedfordview,

Johnsons Cycles in Edenvale,

or Cajees Park Meadows.

I know no-one in that shop cycles, and their service is bad, but its worth a try. Try to deal with Kevin, he is really helpful, and will call you back and try get things done for you.

Good luck!!

Guys Please give Bored-girl advise not bad mouth a business where you do not have the facts.Bored-girl there is many a shop that can give you service and a product at a good price in JHB one such shop is Westdene cycles.

If you want to pay less and not bother about service you can bargain at Cajees and drive their prices down to suit your pocket. 

Well if you stayed out east i'd say TDF (Boksburg) is the place to go, but its quite a schlep from Sandton. I have only been to Slipstream a few times and they're not bad. There's also Fritz Pienaar in Witkoppen and Cyclelab in the area as well.

thanx mampara

considering my newbee status i am not looking for the most expensive bike as yet.........plus im not in it LOL

so my budget was/is about R4000 if on the less than that price it would be great

there were 2 bikes i liked that fellunder that category - the gt avalanche 2.0 and the merida matts 100 v

as the guy at mike's bikes told me (he was very impressed by the fact his shop has been mentioned on this site by the way) was that the same frame is used throughout their range even on the more expensive bikes, and if i decide to upgrade i will just have to spend money on the components

plus after a chat with him we agreed that the existing components are better than the gt and thats at the same price range

any thought would be appreciated although it seems only expensive makes get discussed on this site Embarrassed again im sorry i didnt study something it orientated.....

so i was kind of leaning towards the merida, especially since i saw it at the cycle expo......add the sun adding lovely shine to it and what more can i say........

plus i have some aquaintances (however you spell it) that ride merida, carbon though, and do very well i might say...........

I'm not from Gauteng, so I don't know the area that well (not well at all), but I do know that Westrand Cycles in Krugersdorp (they also have a branch somewhere in Honeydew) is very good...ask for Warren.

i work just down the rd from fritz pienaar's so i was looking for gloves one day and took a drive there

thanx to the dude that helped me - he saved me R100 as i was going for girly fox gloves but something in the colour just didnt do it for me. he found an alternative in stylish black AND saved me money Tongue

just i didnt enjoy the push towards the treks specially made for ladies......

bored girl, in order of preference: Linden Cycles (Linden), Tour de Frans (Boksburg) and Fritz Pienaar Cyvles (Paulshof).

go with an LBS type shop (ie not "big uncaring chain") where you can build a relationship - it pays in the long run... courtesy of Joneen at Linden Cycles I've got a Ravo tandem on loan until end Jan so that i can train properly and do hyper-to-hyper (there is no way psychologically that i'll be ready to tackle a big bunch and i'm not interested in time-trialling 100kmm so tandem is my only option). You'd never get that from a shop where they don't get to know you (or where the shop doesn't end up being home-away-from home... )

if you're on the West Rand I'll also recommend West Rand Cycles. I haven't compared their prices to someone else as their service is very good and I don't really care about prices. and as jellytot say, speak to warren.

Probably a bit biased as i ride one, but i think Merida are very underated. Great bikes and value for money.  

I use Finish Line Cyvles near Egypt, but they're a cool bunch.  No discount, but the cofee's good and Clint smiles a lot when you give him money. 

Or attack their clients .

dirt-rider stick to the topic!!! dont try discuss something which you no nothing about. Try getting all the facts before voicing your opinion.

Most of us went through the start-up phase where the name and frame actually sells the bike. Look careful at the components on the bike, especially the group set and wheels.

Go to your LBS that will give you the best advice for what you need and not the stock on hand.

My experience take me back to: Linden Cycles, Westrand, Slipstream (in that order)

Just looking at the response to your thread I suggest that one you've decided on a bike - ask again - within a few hours you'le probably get good advice from experienced Hubbers.

i went on a browsing trip on sat

i think cajees problem might be the size of that shop

its bloody huge Smile

i missed slipstream as they closed by the time i got there but i'd love to go check it out

do they sell sidi shoes? i was told it's a shop somewhere in bryanston......

as to the size og jhb........

well thats why i was asking

i live sandton/rosebank area so am i going to be paying prices according to my the area? or is it normal pricing?

i wouldnt mind going to boksburg if its gonna save me a few hundred of something big but i am not gonna make the trip just to check it out.....

Illovo cycles is in your vicinity.. I bought my bikes elsewhere but everything else I need I do at Illovo cycles. Like services etc.

Good advice and and good Service Levels are worth paying a little more for, especially when you are a newbie like I am.

I can recommend Linden Cycles as well, Joneen gives good advice.

Good luck.