Subaru Service Stinks

Paul Ruinaard

Paul' date=' you made two mistakes.

1) You bought a new car.

2) You got suckered into a motorplan.

A Subaru wants a service every 12500 kms. A service comprises a can of Castrol - R99-00 and a new oil filter Z91B - R65-00.

Every now and then it wants a new air filter - R260-00.

For R30 you can buy a helluva lot of oil and filters. Hell, you can even buy all the tools to do it yourself. This is a 19mm spanner, an oil filter remover and a philips screwdriver.

I reckon you can maintain the car for the first 100 000 kms for less than R3000.

Welcome to the Hub BTW. It's nice to see newcomers who identify themselves.

[/quote']

The first 100 000 km is where the car is still fine (or at least supposed to be). Unfortunately these days the manufacturers screw up and the motorplan is the only way you can be covered. A good example is the Polo TDI 96KW. Those blew turbo's like crazy. Some people would be on their 3rd turbo by 60000km. And VW tells you that it's unnecessary to let the turbo spool down after driving. Same thing with the first BMW 320d's - also blew turbo's like crazy. It's not everyone's idea of fun to fork out Over R20k for a new turbo.

Yeah, my old man went through 2 turbos on his first 320d...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prolem is that turbo's blow on these vehicles not due to the fact that they are crappy, but happens because of owners being clueless on how to drive a vehicle with a turbo!

btw: Service i get at Subaru is excellent!!!SeasonalCyclist2008-10-24 06:36:33

Enlighten me. How do you drive a car with a turbo.

Well, you put it in gear, then you WIND the engine up, but like hecticly, then you drop the clutch and see who gets the the next traffic light first!

Yeah' date=' my old man went through 2 turbos on his first 320d...
[/quote']

Buddy of mine is a sales rep, he managed 5 before they traded it

Have the same problem here ,  these afghans have no clue how to drive a turbo.  Push the motor to 4500 revs and then switch it off.  I change at least 5 turbos a weakOuchOuchOuchOuchOuch

Well firstly you dont just start and bugger off, also when befor turning off the vehicle it has to idle before actually turning off ignition!

Well' date=' you put it in gear, then you WIND the engine up, but like hecticly, then you drop the clutch and see who gets the the next traffic light first!

[/quote']

Thats how I got it aswell. LOL

Well' date=' you put it in gear, then you WIND the engine up, but like hecticly, then you drop the clutch and see who gets the the next traffic light first!

[/quote']

Not on East, in general  Hog ! Wink

[/quote']

101 on how to get a replacement turbo!Clap

[/quote']

101 on how to get a replacement turbo!Clap

Well, you pay extra for it, so you may as well get some use from the turbo (and motorplan) LOL

I have two friends with Subaru Foresters. They have had unbelievably good service. I think its great that Subaru (and Barloworld) are putting so much into cycling and I'll certainly buy their cars.

Add me too. I am not your friend yet, but I'll change my Forester for nothing. Good service is part of the experience at Linden, Kenridge and Culemborg.SmileSmileSmile

Hey Paul

Good to hear they came back to you, the Midrand guys give fantastic service, luckily Bryanston is out of the way for us.
Summit Cycles2008-10-24 06:55:24

The 60000km service interval that VW recommends for the air filter doesn't help turbo life eitherOuch

A few years back I bought a BMW after a mate complained that Audi's motorplan didn't cover his failed aircon.

My motorplan covered everything except tyres. These guys would replace stuff at even the hint of a problem. I brought it in cos a brake light wasn't working and they replaced the entire rear light unit. Unfortunately the car wasn't too bike friendly' date=' and also people think that because you're driving a BM that you're also a tosser. (and frankly, most BM drivers are).

So I now have a Corsa bakkie - VERY bike friendly. Bought from Reeds, who sponsor lots of cycling in Cape Town. Good guys. [/quote']

I have always had Audis and never had any reason to complain about the motorplan, I can complain about the roof lining that falls down when you go over a bump, or the air bag cover which has fell off and got lost about 50,000kms back and the fact Audi SA cant / wont / couldnt be bothered to import the little plastic cover, or the rattle that has been evident for 20,000 odd kms and nobody can find, or the radio / cd which just stops working every now and then and you have to remove all the fuses and put them back, then it works again for the next 6 months, or th, or the,.............................................. but as for the motorplan, Naaa, thats been fine.