advise needed

chucky

im a new mtber and want to know how hard to pump my tyres in different conditions ie sand ,rocky etc,also what pressure do i pump my back shock ,i am 76 kgs

Ek is ook ? 77kg en ek ry my bande 2.5 tot 3 bar in alle toestande. Het nog nie baie sand gery nie, maar ek neem aan jy kan dan jou bande tot ?1.8 - 2 bar maak.

Depends on your tyres especially if they are tubeless or tubed. I would go 2 bar for tubeless.

As for your shock although setting the sag at around 15% of travel is normally recommended I reckon you should bottom out once a ride.

Chucky, first pump our tyres the recommended pressure on the side wall and ride it. Then feel if it's too hard and have too little traction. Adjust untill you are happy that youwill not get any pinch flats. Ipresume you still ride tubes.

For the shock this is what you do. The rear should have a little o-ring around the piston shaft. Push that ting agains the barrel of the shock. Now sit on the bike without rocking up and down. Get off and see how much the ring moved. It hould move about 25-33%. Do the same with the front. The front normally don't have o-rings on so you can just take a cable tie and tie it around the stanction loosely. Just enough to keep it in one place but not too tight to scratch it. It should also only move about 25-33%. These are just general notes. If you like it harder pump it harder or vica versa. My rear shock is a bot softer as I can make it stiffer with a flick of a switch so I know I've got it when I need it.

at 75 kgs.  mmmmmm

YOur front shock should be between 100 to 120 psi (if it is a tora)

Your rear shock will probably be in a similar range.  Some rear shocks have a "Elestic band/washer/seal" on the piston.  PUsh that up abainst the shock.  Sit on the bike.  get comfy.  Climb off.  If the shock has pushed it (the washer) more than one third of the available piston length, pump harder, if less you can chose to release some pressure. 

Remember to start riding with max recoil on the front shock and minimum recol on the back shoke.  Once you are comfy with this then start playing with the recoil.  Failure to do this will result in your bike being a bucking bronco on single track.

TYre pressure.  If you are tubeless pump up to the minumum recommended pressure on the side wall.  (Normally around 3 to 2.5 bar).  IN sand and loose rocks consider droping the pressure, on hard pack and tar, up it to the max.

so.... me being 60kgs' date=' having my tyres at around 4bar is good, or bad? [/quote']

TNT, you will have to go on a major eating binge to be able to ride a bike with 4 bar comfortably.  Bounce away.

i weigh 64 and i ride my tires at 2 bars i am on tubeless so that helps

my shock i do pump to a harder 140 psi though i find the 120psi reccomended is just too soft on some technical descents

im a new mtber and want to know how hard to pump my tyres in different conditions ie sand ' date='rocky etc,also what pressure do i pump my back shock ,i am 76 kgs[/quote']

if youre a roadie, well then no question 6bars Big%20smile, if youve done a few rides and settled in then you'll realise with tubes 2.3 - 2.8 bars, tubless 1.8 - 2.1 bars

Tyre pressure is dependant on the cross sectional area. ie. the fatter your tyres, the less pressure you need.

For 2.25 profile tubed MTB tyres, I usually put 2.4 - 2.5 bar. But then I am 90kgs.

Depending on tubeless or not -

Tubeless @ 90 kg's I ride 2.0 back and 1.8 front- Never had any problems in any conditions

Road Bike - 7.5 back and 6.5 front - Works for me.