You know what absolutely SICKENS me?

Capri Wheeler

smiley5.gif I am not to sure what to make of this ? Should I feel guilty cause my bikes are to expensive or should I only feel that way it I happen to carry' date=' push , throw or do anything else but ride it ?[/quote']

Ai ai ai boet I hear it's even worse if you have a customised paint job on your frame. Then it's real bad .......... LOL

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So why is that more money than sense?

Why is it non-sensical to spend the money if you can afford it?

personal opinion. i try sell people what they need, not what they want. it would be easy to "up-sell", but we have a reputation at the shop of not ripping off people for the sake of it.

some (not so famous) cyclist said something like " it's not about the bike"

but i dont know if we should listen to him because he was probably implying that it is actually about what drugs you take

personal opinion. i try sell people what they need' date=' not what they want. it would be easy to "up-sell", but we have a reputation at the shop of not ripping off people for the sake of it.
[/quote']

And that's a good approach, but for some people it IS about the bike, and building/buying something really fantastic is almost as much fun as riding it.

smiley5.gif I am not to sure what to make of this ? Should I feel guilty cause my bikes are to expensive or should I only feel that way it I happen to carry' date=' push , throw or do anything else but ride it ?[/quote']

?

Ai ai ai boet I hear it's even worse if you have a customised paint job on your frame. Then it's real bad .......... LOL

I know , that is why I always look around and make sure nobody sees me before I get of and push ! And before Holly adds his bit !!! I did not push my bike , Flash took it up for me !!!

Guest colonel

I also thought of this sometime back as I went on a club ride with MrsC and there was a guy there 110kg + on a Prince and I nearly caused a mass pile up from shock when I saw it and him. I couldve ridden away,uphill with 1 leg while in a speedo from this guy (and thats not saying much)

But then I thought about it, DO I warrent my bike? More than likely not but who says you warrent any bike you ride? He liked it, had money to pay for it and bought it and is clearly enjoying it so let them be I guess??

personal opinion. i try sell people what they need' date=' not what they want. it would be easy to "up-sell", but we have a reputation at the shop of not ripping off people for the sake of it.
[/quote']

And that's a good approach, but for some people it IS about the bike, and building/buying something really fantastic is almost as much fun as riding it.

i totally agree!

the problem i often encounter is newbies who come into the shop having gotten advice from longtime riders. there was a physician who came into the shop on saturday, who wants to try introduce his whole family - himself, wife, two kids - to the sport . on the advice of a colleague he is looking at disc-brake- and no-lower-than-xt-equipped bikes. he used the words "i am ona shopping spree". it would be a good sale for us, for sure, but i also consider that if he and the family might not get bitten.

he is going back today to discuss things with the lbs owner. you often find that you won't convince the buyer to downgrader, but they do appreciate your honesty, and you've gained a loyal customer.  

As long a the poor guy is not under the illusion that a bicycle makes him a better cyclist of more of a cyclist than the other guy, hell if he want to spend that money, that is his case.

However, a poser who is all bling and no bang, that is irritating.  When the guy is obviously obese and still somehow starts as a licenced rider on his blingmobile, that is wrong.

With all things money can buy, it is relavitive to your spending potential.  However, results are a bit of concrete reality in our relative delusions of ourselves.  You cannot buy fitness (not unless you go to chucky, and take something illegal that is).

Anyway, the race was in Joburg, poser's paradise, so what did you expect?

What is sickening is when a guy on a eddy merckx MXLeader, with downshifters passes you on a climb, and breaks from the peleton and bridges to the next group unchallenged.

I also thought of this sometime back as I went on a club ride with MrsC and there was a guy there 110kg + on a Prince and I nearly caused a mass pile up from shock when I saw it and him. I couldve ridden away' date='uphill with 1 leg while in a speedo from this guy (and thats not saying much)

But then I thought about it, DO I warrent my bike? More than likely not but who says you warrent any bike you ride? He liked it, had money to pay for it and bought it and is clearly enjoying it so let them be I guess??
[/quote']

you must admit, the bike does stand out at the coffee shop afterwards Wink

I know , that is why I always look around and make sure nobody sees me before I get of and push ! And before Holly adds his bit !!! I did not push my bike , Flash took it up for me !!!

LOLLOLLOL

i think customising is cool! and pushing (having your mate ride) a customised bike up a hill cooler than a non-custiomised one!WinkLOL

Guest colonel
I also thought of this sometime back as I went on a club ride with MrsC and there was a guy there 110kg + on a Prince and I nearly caused a mass pile up from shock when I saw it and him. I couldve ridden away' date='uphill with 1 leg while in a speedo from this guy (and thats not saying much)

[/quote']
you must admit, the bike does stand out at the coffee shop afterwards Wink

Yes it does well I never saw it at the coffee shop I went home to get meds to come off the shock.

Well, this thread started out irritating me no end, but I have learned quite a lot from it. I now know that even if I go out buy that carbon stem and handlebar, that I will still suck. And not only will I suck as a cyclist, but jealous pricks won't like me for sucking, so thank god i can't afford it, cos now tho I will still suck on the bike, everyone will like me for knowing that I suck and acknowledging that I only deserve the bike that I have. Phew, Sheesh!!  Maybe I will use the extra cash for therapy.

Anyway, CW, if u are anything like  the guys in your club who ride past me every Sunday, and are too high and mighty to greet me cos I am going slowly, and don't have a super-bling bike, then I could not really give a flying ****about what does or does not sicken you, but I do find your thread rather ironic.

Well' date=' this thread started out irritating me no end, but I have learned quite a lot from it. I now know that even if I go out buy that carbon stem and handlebar, that I will still suck. And not only will I suck as a cyclist, but jealous pricks won't like me for sucking, so thank god i can't afford it, cos now tho I will still suck on the bike, everyone will like me for knowing that I suck and acknowledging that I only deserve the bike that I have. Phew, Sheesh!!  Maybe I will use the extra cash for therapy.

Anyway, CW, if u are anything like  the guys in your club who ride past me every Sunday, and are too high and mighty to greet me cos I am going slowly, and don't have a super-bling bike, then I could not really give a flying ****about what does or does not sicken you, but I do find your thread rather ironic.
[/quote']

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

flippit you okes are something else

I dont really care what anyone else is riding.

I couldnt care less what anyone thinks of my ride.