Bike sizing?

nero123

Hi guys,

Id love some advice on bike sizing. I am 184 tall with very long legs and a short upper body. I've measured my self and had it doen at westdene, tour de france, linden etc and all measure the same. 61cm. The problem is that currently I'm riding a L (55.5) giant but the virtual top tube length is a 58.5 which with my upper body just feeld to long. I've had a 90mm stem but the bike is just to twitchy with such a short stem so I changed it to a 110.

Would a 56cm (L Scott) compact frame with a top tube lenght of 56 cm be to small for me? The giant is comfortable in terms of seat tube length but to long in terms of top tube?

Any advice.

surf the web, look for the geometry of various bikes.  Focus on bikes with short TT length, such as treks and raleighs. 

Consider looking at Crit bikes with aggressive seat post angles (75%), especially American brands, like Trek, Lightspeed, Kona ext

Avoid "Touring" bikes like Eddy Merckx (and Euro manufacturers).

Most compact bikes have similar geometry, so a giant, raleigh ext will be much of the same.

Hi Nero, looks like me and you need to be twins, I've got the exact same measurements!

I'm 1.84m, with a 89cm inseam!!!

I have finally found a size that works! I have a 56(C-T seat)-56(C-C top) Silverback (XL) frame with a 100mm stem. It gives me a very comfortable riding position. On a frame that size for us, you might just need to lift the handlebar a bit to not having to crouch over too much!

Hope this helps! In my experience, it's no use trying to use a frame that some dude using a formula gives you. My theoritical frame size is a 60cm!!! That's WAY too big for me with my short upperbody!

Speak to Hanco at CycleFit

Cyclefit.co.za

They advice on the right size bike and setup

I agree I was fittted to a Merida with a top tube of 59cm.

It felt way to big andI almost broke my back on that bike.

I have a very long inseam with a short torso and I am currently riding a 56 cervelo RS with a top tube of 56.5cm.

The RS have a taller head tube though so make sure like dee biker mentioned your headtube is tall enough otherwise you could end up with some serious neck pain.

I'm looking at buying a Canyon bike and they have the coolest fitment tool on their site.  You fill in loads of body measurements (like the competitivecycling website) and it shows your body position onscreen.  Very neat!  What was interesting was that it suggests a 54 cm bike for me if I want a 'racing' geometry or a 56 if I want 'relaxed' and I am 185cm!  www.canyon.com

Also have a read on what Sheldon Brown writes about it. He mentions that your upper body length should be more important with modern sloping frames and that the frame size written on the frame means buggerall.  Each manufacturer has different size!

True I'm 1.89 with a 92cm inseam. Test ridden both the 56cm and the 58 ,but with cervelo's compact geometry for the RS and the taller headtube the 56 fits me perfectly.

Also have a read on what Sheldon Brown writes about it. He mentions that your upper body length should be more important with modern sloping frames and that the frame size written on the frame means buggerall.  Each manufacturer has different size!

finally someone was listening to me.

finally someone was listening to me.

dittoClapClapClap

I'm looking at buying a Canyon bike and they have the coolest fitment tool on their site.  You fill in loads of body measurements (like the competitivecycling website) and it shows your body position onscreen.  Very neat!  What was interesting was that it suggests a 54 cm bike for me if I want a 'racing' geometry or a 56 if I want 'relaxed' and I am 185cm!  www.canyon.com

Thanks, that fitment tool really looks nifty. Worth playing around with to get a better understanding of fitting.