How much have you spent on repairs after a race

Paul Hunter

After the SabieX and the big rain and mud my bike is broken proper.  The gear shifter does not work anymore, will have to replace gear cables and more brake pads.  I think my bottom bracketr is also shot and thats just after a quick check.

This got me thinking that the bike shops must do some healthy business after such races and how much we all spend repairing our bikes after racing in the mud.

How much have you spent on repairs after racing in the mud?

LOL...could be...have broken the news to the missus already about a new purchase now just need to find something I can afford.

uhmmmm, sram dont give any sh*t in mud.... and in wat working condition was your bike beforehand? if it was in TOP WORKING ORDER they only problem you would have is mud orientated: chainsuch, sram shift quite good in mud

Had a chat with Alex from Northcliff on Saturday morning, he told me that one of his customers had just spent R9k on his bike after Sabie X.

Eish !!

My partners shifters were shot after day 3. I took them apart by removing the 3 little screws and blasted using a foot pump. A bit of Q20 and they were perfect for the time trial. 10 minute job. I could imagine a bike shop recommending a new set of shifters in this case.Angry

As for my bike, just cleaned it and took the BB out which was grinding. A bit of a clean and lube and it is running sweetly. A new set of pads was all that I replaced. Full length cable outers are also the business. I could imagine these needing changing otherwise.

I've now seen 3 bikes that have come back from this years Sabie. All very, very used bikes now. Even the brand new (a couple of weeks back) Merrida 96!!! Cry 

One reason why I like road more than moutain!!

One of my friends is really serious in MTB'ing, and listening to the amount of money he spends on fixing this and that, I am just glad that I prefer the road to the dirt.

Only now and then I need to buy a chain, some lubrication and some cleaning stuff, and then less often new tyres.

One thing I do spend some time and money on though, is tubes and the fixing of tubes with all the broken glass on the road. I am not sure if it is like a hobby to these guys to break beer bottles in the street, but seriously, this is one thing I do not like about the road - all the broken glass.

I do have a mountain bike but only ride dirt roads and sand. Hate mud and rocks, so my MTB is also rather cheap on repairs as well!!

Not too many people here prepared to give the numbers incase the missus is watching themLOLLOLLOLLOL.

I think the most I spent was after Kabouga 2007 which was just mud, mud and more fricking mud. R2,300.00 will post photo tomorrow. Not funny at all.

One of my friends is really serious in MTB'ing' date=' and listening to the amount of money he spends on fixing this and that, I am just glad that I prefer the road to the dirt.

Only now and then I need to buy a chain, some lubrication and some cleaning stuff, and then less often new tyres.

One thing I do spend some time and money on though, is tubes and the fixing of tubes with all the broken glass on the road. I am not sure if it is like a hobby to these guys to break beer bottles in the street, but seriously, this is one thing I do not like about the road - all the broken glass.

I do have a mountain bike but only ride dirt roads and sand. Hate mud and rocks, so my MTB is also rather cheap on repairs as well!!
[/quote']

You my friend are missing the whole point of Mounain Biking. I enjoy getting dirty and having to fix my bike, it is part of the sport, as is falling, finding new places to ride every day and not to mention the great people you meet while mountain biking.

My friend, getting dirty, you can enjoy as much as you like. I used to enjoy playing in the mud when I was a kid!!

For the rest, I see just as many nice new places on the road, and very many great people on their road bikes - they are all cyclists, so we have that something special to share.

This was not a road/MTB thing - this was the amount of time and money spent of fixing bikes, and my preference why road biking to me is cheaper that MTB'ing!!

One of my friends is really serious in MTB'ing' date=' and listening to the amount of money he spends on fixing this and that, I am just glad that I prefer the road to the dirt.

[/quote']

You used sooo many word just to tell everybody you are gay. LOL

Just kidding, but dirt is part of the fun and i can't understand why people ride around the puddles.