Carbon and....dassies?

Johan Bornman

Carbon deadens vibrations.....an dassies brush their teeth with Colgate. Yeah right.

Each time we discuss the perceived properties of carbon fibre frames we have mini war here on The Hub and I expect no less of my fellow Hubbers this time round.

This time however, I've given you lots of ammunition. Fire away. But indulge in the links and photos first.

An American company, Luis and Clark produces violins, violas, cellos and even a double-bass from carbon fibre. According to cello virtuoso Yo-Yo Ma, he cannot differentiate between a carbon fibre cello and a master-built wooden cello that costs the price of a four-bedroom house.

Now, anyone who knows the sound of a cello will a) have to admit it is the most beautiful sound in the world (as Neil says, what a beautiful noise) and b) produces it by vibrating in the audible range. In fact, if you touch a cello whilst it is being stroked, you can feel it vibrate.

And, as my friends here keep reminding me, carbon fibre bicycles dampen vibrations and makes the bike want to jump over the finish line when it is given some gas.

Therein lies the paradox. Does carpet fibre vibrate or not?

I wanted to post some photos but the server is behaving like a Hyperama Raleigh bicycle at present.

So why not listen to it here?

Or just visit www.;uisandclark.com and see for yourself.

Masestro Stradivarius is turning in his grave.

Carbon deadens vibrations.....an dassies brush their teeth with Colgate. Yeah right.

Cease desist I say, for the record it's Colgate MAXfresh followed by a subtle swirling of vanilla mint mouth wash.

Carb-on as you were.

As you say, JB - the debate starts again.

I don't know what (which company/designer/britney spears) to believe, and as I've never ridden a carbon bike (much to my displeasure) I can't pass judgement.

However, could it be that due to the increased lightness (perceived or otherwise) might contribute to the view that the frame absorbs more vibrations? After all - a 10kg monster will hit a pothole alot harder (okay - not THAT much) than a sub 6.5 superlight-weighter due to momentum, gravity etc...

Could it also be due to the fact that most Carbon bikes are monocoque whereas Alu & Ti bikes r welded, hence the load will be transferred more evenly over the whole frame?

I dunno... and until I have ridden 2 bikes of the same weight, with the tires inflated to the same pressure, with the same spec, 1 alu 1 carbon, i will not be able to pass judgement...

Slightly off-topic, but....

There's a programme either on Discovery or BBC Knowledge every night at 19:30 that is called "How its Made".

Last week they showed the process of making a Carbon Fibre cello which was fascinating. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the name of the manufacturers.

.....and dassies brush their teeth with Colgate.  

According to the advert, beavers use Colgate.

And according to ALL the marketing hype from ALL the bike companies around the world, carbon DOES deaden vibration. So you must be wrong. Wink

Besides, we arent riding cello's... LOL

Besides' date=' we arent riding cello's...
[/quote']

What about that company called Vercello. CSC use to ride their bikes.

LOL

Vibrate or resonate? I supose that difference manaufacturing techniques could cause the material to resonate at different frequencies.

Hi JB

I can't resist rising to this one.

These Cello's have been designed and engineered to sound like Cello's.

In the testimonials section most of the artists say that the tone surpasses that of wooden instruments, is that down to the material alone, or the design, or the construction. Or maybe marketing?

I don't see a cut and dried argument either for or against the material, just one that says Louis and Clark make some beautiful, great sounding instruments.

Composites have been used in the construction of stringed instruments for decades. Ovation are probably the most famous, developing a proprietory composite called lyrachord. This is used primarily for the body of their acoustics. Some of their acoustics have used composite soundboards, and some traditional wooden ones over the years.

I have owned 3 Ovations, and have found they stay in tune really well, the necks are very stable and play well, but i have never enjoyed the tone.

It's a personal feeling i get from the instrument.

Same with a bike.