Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

Can't believe its come to this but would anyone be interested in a Groenkloof/Klapperkop whatsapp group so we can organize rides and not go solo until this is sorted?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually do hill training on Sunday at Kalpperkop.

Feels still safe on the road as there are a lot of runners/cyclist there at that time

But then you get the people that go hiking there....

Saw a man and a woman hiking there yesterday around 6:30 am on the west side of the radio tower. I mean are you a special type of stupid to go walking there??

Tried getting their attention, they just waved back and continued..

Edited by RABUBI

Can't believe its come to this but would anyone be interested in a Groenkloof/Klapperkop whatsapp group so we can organize rides and not go solo until this is sorted?

Hi O.  There is a KK whatapp group but it is a bit quiet at the moment, nobody really coordinating rides.  Are you looking for weekdays/weekends and mornings/afternoons?

Hi O.  There is a KK whatapp group but it is a bit quiet at the moment, nobody really coordinating rides.  Are you looking for weekdays/weekends and mornings/afternoons?

Weekdays. Usually ride Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday arriving at GK at 6;30am leaving from Hatfield. But I'm a student so I'm easy. Exam time = more free time to ride  :ph34r:

As Karin stated there is a whatsapp group for Klapperkop safety, the idea of the group was more to cleanup Klapperkop and not specifically for setting up group rides. Klapperkop however at the moment should be fine to ride, there are guards at the entrances and guard patrols. I rode over Klappies this morning just after 5 and I must say there were lots of cyclists and joggers thus felt quite safe. I think generally just don`t go off-road while its still dark.

As Karin stated there is a whatsapp group for Klapperkop safety, the idea of the group was more to cleanup Klapperkop and not specifically for setting up group rides. Klapperkop however at the moment should be fine to ride, there are guards at the entrances and guard patrols. I rode over Klappies this morning just after 5 and I must say there were lots of cyclists and joggers thus felt quite safe. I think generally just don`t go off-road while its still dark.

Agree with RSA, I am there in the mornings around 05:30 to just after 6.  Usually do the single track down and next to the golf course back up.  Lots of cyclists around, although I see most MTBikers on my way out so not too sure how many people go onto the tracks. 

Edited by Karinvdw

On Pta East Facebook page:

The Bester family of 3 were robbed this morning @ 11h00 from their personal belongings in the Groenkloof Nature Reserve while cycling near the Fountains circle. We have posted guards to patrol the area and they will be on site for the weekend. The family is ok but shaken up from the bad ordeal.

Agree with RSA, I am there in the mornings around 05:30 to just after 6.  Usually do the single track down and next to the golf course back up.  Lots of cyclists around, although I see most MTBikers on my way out so not too sure how many people go onto the tracks. 

We stay clear of the singletrack, can't see much in the long grass as you approach the bottom so a but sketchy there

Did a loop of groenies and fountains on saturday...

Shocked to see the state of fountains...glass and rubbish on the trail, overgrown, fallen trees. Needless to say I wont be riding there again. Groenies is still lekkers, but fountains feel unsafe from when you enter the gates.

Fountains is dodgy especially closer to the northern parts. We stick to Groenkloof so hope that the recent 3 events are just isolated

Was at Groenkloof Saturday as gates opened. Went with 2 friends so felt safe. Also saw nothing suspicious except a Kudu Bull in the single track and an ostrich mother telling a buddy to move along.

I saw a guy walking on the inside next to the perimeter clearly putting his attention at looking for holes in fence as he should, I just would like the park to supply staff with uniform. It makes you feel better and I am sure it will benefit the moral of workers.

The ride was amazing.

I was at Klapperkop this morning. Last week I saw the place littered with cyclists. Today it was spooky I only saw a few joggers. Maybe my timing or maybe some people are still managing a babelas.

this is total BS - we should go there in force and sort out this crap. 3 times on 8 days they getting greedy and obviously comfortable with the area. Surely we can outwit these dumb fxxxkrs

On Pta East Facebook page:

The Bester family of 3 were robbed this morning @ 11h00 from their personal belongings in the Groenkloof Nature Reserve while cycling near the Fountains circle. We have posted guards to patrol the area and they will be on site for the weekend. The family is ok but shaken up from the bad ordeal.

Would this be the Bester family from Bester Cycles?

And I see there was a bikejacking on the Botha avenue split to Eeufees yesterday at 15:00 or so. Saw the twitter feed on facebook yesterday posted by cyclelab.