Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

What is the situation at Klapperkop these days like? Safe to ride, any trouble lately?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Saturdays there are loads of people cycling and running on the trails, so I have not seen anything untoward recently. Mid week rides I still ride only in groups of min 3 people...

• 1 month later...

Evening Gents.

What is the situation in Centurion, I am cycling at 4AM in the mornings in the Clubview/ ruimte rd area up to the R55, then to Zwartkops raceway and then back home.

Am I daft for doing this, and if so, what other alternative routes could you suggest?

Thanks

H

Riding the route regular in the afternoons and sat Mornings. So far no problems - the road is busy so the possibility for an attack is limited. 

Evening Gents.

What is the situation in Centurion, I am cycling at 4AM in the mornings in the Clubview/ ruimte rd area up to the R55, then to Zwartkops raceway and then back home.

Am I daft for doing this, and if so, what other alternative routes could you suggest?

Thanks

H

Why not cycle up to Old JHB road and then up to Monument and back ? Did the R55 once and did not like the look of it .

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

Have not thought about Monument, but will give it a go!

Just recieved on facebook. It seems like yesterday afternoon 

Another robbery at Klapperkop -three males armed with knifes, robbed visitors of their cellphones and ran in the direction of the mtb track next to George Storrar rd. One wearing red, the other black and the third camo tops. Cyclists be ware...it happened just before 17:00. They were chased by another cyclist but they got away.

Just recieved on facebook. It seems like yesterday afternoon 

Another robbery at Klapperkop -three males armed with knifes, robbed visitors of their cellphones and ran in the direction of the mtb track next to George Storrar rd. One wearing red, the other black and the third camo tops. Cyclists be ware...it happened just before 17:00. They were chased by another cyclist but they got away.

It really is a case these days of one thinking: "when is it my turn to get hijacked?"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I thought I'd share another red flag for Klapperkop.

I over heard a couple of guys talking about a serious attack at Klapperkop this past weekend. The incident happened around 3pm on Sunday(if I heard right).

Be safe out there. 

klapperkop , Groenkloof and Voortrekker all had attacks in the recent months and weeks - must be the same people operating here

I heard that there was another attack at voortrekker monument after the attack on the Danish rider.

Any details?

Pisses me off, Klapperkop is one of the best places to practice your climbing - And now I cant ride it before work because I'm afraid I might lose a mtb or a phone.

Anyone have a link to a site for buying a small pepperspray that I can Velcro to my top tube?

Edited by Cav'

What about a organised mass ride from KK to Brooklyn Police station to hand over a petition demanding foot patrols, or police on horse back....?? just a thought?

sounds like a good idea, but doubt if it will actually happen. Im in if we can get something like that going.

What about a organised mass ride from KK to Brooklyn Police station to hand over a petition demanding foot patrols, or police on horse back....?? just a thought?

Jason, maybe a patrol in the area with all 7 of your dogs??

Will bring our staffies for some muscle