We aren't making it any easier for ourselves

Aedon

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one flashing light on in that same mist this morning and realised I need another one. Drivers seem to notice two lights flashing out of sequence easier...

That said I agree with the OP, we don't make it easier on ourselves and if you want to be a idiot, ride 3 abreast, not be safety concious, then get hit... a light costs what? R50 or R60? wear it, people see you...

Thanks everyone for the great comments... Thanks for sending it in, and no I dont mind, put it anywhere you like... just please send any prizes I win my way!! heheheeLOL

PS Johnny Reggae...were you coming down Tokai last night? I saw you roll into the car park on a Muni?

It's also uncool to wear a helmet Dead

let's not go there. The thread is nice and possitive so far.

It's also uncool to wear a helmet Dead

let's not go there. The thread is nice and possitive so far. 

I was thinking of the thread from a week or two ago about the father and son cycling without a helmet. They also swore at the person who inquired.

To Tarmac-GTR:          EXCELLENT. WELL SAID.

To all the other hubbers ,particularly those who got a bit over excited on the cartoday site:

READ THIS.   INWARDLY DIGEST.  and APPLY IT EVERY TIME YOU CYCLE.

To Mampara:  Careful what you say about us BMW drivers. We are not all prone to road rage and a lot of us are also cyclists. Wink

As someone said earlier in this thread this is THE MOST POSITIVE THREAD I HAVE SEEN on the Hub in a long time. WELL DONE GUYS.  Clap

PS Johnny Reggae...were you coming down Tokai last night? I saw you roll into the car park on a Muni?

Yup, that was me. Had a great ride down Mamba, Boomslang, Vasbyt, Downhill 4, and My Roots. Took a head-over-heels bail down Mamba though Smile

Have read your original post a couple of times now. Really well said !!

I noticed your bleeding arm...those Muni's look like that beat the crap out of you. I was wearing the Epic Jersey on the left at the 2nd white bakkie

Tarmac-GSTR2009-02-18 03:19:21

Tarmac Gtr - Bravo, well said ! Word to live by (Literally),

Can I just add the following bits of advice I  applied to my riding after I was hit by a car two years ago (yes I was riding alone on road I shouldn't have been, at a time I shouldn't have been)

1. If at all possible Never ride alone (It's easy to find people to ride with - just ask)

2. If you ride with a club, ride for a club that offers a support/back-up vehicle, if they dont - Change clubs

3. Pick your roads and time - Dont ride at Rush hour, avoid narrow roads as much as possible

4. Whenever a motorists give you a wide berth or drives with care near you, thank them with a wave or a nod, chances are you will see each-other again sometime except next time they could be setting an example for the motorist behind them or acting as a barrier between you and the next car

Lets all start with the man in the mirror.

Everybody obey all traffic rules. Treat Stop signs and Robots as stationary sprint practice' date=' try beat all the cars accross the line, and practise your track stand ( Nothing like wasted time to learn a new skill)

Ride single file, if you must talk, shout, if you cant shout, get walkie talkies. They come in handy at races too!

If a car hoots, 99% of the time they are trying to warn you that they are approaching. Cars dont have a nice hooter and a K@K hooter... The difference is your perception and attitude. 

If you always take the "nice hooter option, give a wave to say, sorry or thank you whichever you need to. Even if you think "What a ****"...just wave... it will be better in the long run.

Make yourself visible. Get lights, use them, and stay away from black clothing.

Choose your Routes and riding times well, and let your loved ones know where you're going. If you cant fit in a ride without taking a risk, get a stationary trainer. You never know, you may save your own life by not pushing the envelope.

ICE everything you have on you. Even dialing your wife first before you leave. That way the last dialed number on your phone is the one you want to be in the know. Tell her you love her while you're at it.

If you want things to change you have to start by making a change. Lets start with all of us on the hub. Educate your friends on bikes, Bike shops please do the same as well as club captains etc...

Knowledge is power and small changes add up to one big change.
[/quote']

Very well put Tarmac. I agree fully man, fully.

I have made this decision to improve my own riding and rule issues and my attitude. It after all, about our attitude.

I like the idea of using stops as an acceleration exercise. Never though about it like that before.

Tarmac, this is a superb piece. ClapClapClapClap

I'm defintely sending to our club secretary to publish in the weekly newsletter.

Thanks to all the other contributors who have made this such a positive and thought-provoking thread.

I noticed your bleeding arm...those Muni's look like that beat the crap out of you. I was wearing the Epic Jersey on the left at the 2nd white bakkie

Occasionally I manage to beat myself on something, usually a rock or branch, but the occasions are getting fewer Smile It's not as bad as it looks..... although the 2 youngsters that saw me bail probably thought that it was pretty hardcore... Nearly suffocated myself with the cloud of dust I managed to create during the bail.

Next time I come riding past, give me a shout.... I'm usually not focusing to much by the time I get back to the parking lot as I'm quite knackered at that stage. Must say a *HUGE* thanks to Alex, mountain biker in the parking lot, who offered me an ice cold Windhoek. That really hit the spot after the ride Big%20smile

can anyone get hold of slick or Hog ??

Maybe they can get this posted on the Car website - show that at least we are trying to be pro -active

Tarmac' date=' this is a superb piece. ClapClapClapClap

I'm defintely sending to our club secretary to publish in the weekly newsletter.

Thanks to all the other contributors who have made this such a positive and thought-provoking thread.

[/quote']

Awesome, the more attitudes we can change the more lives get saved.

Also been thinking of putting some Cycling stickers on my car rear window... no not "POWERED BY SPECIALIZED" just a little "S" motif or something small so that if I do come accross some small minded cyclists I can hoot and when I come by they can see I'm a Cyclist too and I'm just looking out for them!

Last week I read a Think Bike brochure in my local coffee shop. What a brilliant piece of work!

Tarmac' date=' Bravo! Your post should be the beginning of Think Bicycle.

Perhaps the Think Bike guys on the site can help develope the concept.

[/quote']

Odd... Think Bike already have a cycling specific initiative. Hell, their stickers even have bicycles on them these days.