We aren't making it any easier for ourselves

Aedon

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can anyone get hold of slick or Hog ??

Maybe they can get this posted on the Car website - show that at least we are trying to be pro -active

Done. Will post the link shortly.

Wait till I've listed my entire (sorry) car ownership history in my sig...

I train on country roads in the afternoon\ early evening and one of my biggest bugbears are motorists who overtake oncoming traffic into your face pushing you of the road.

Three weeks ago I started wearing a dayglo police type jacket when I train, not one single incident since, even traffic coming from behind seem to give me a wider berth.

I now realize just how invisible to motorists we are.

Great post there Tarmac, have just read the whole thread now. I was planning to ride Atlantic seaboard this afternoon, but decided to give it a miss due to the fog and the fact that I don't have my tail light with me. Positive thread this, let's hope that we can improve our image with motorists. It will take time to undo the damage being done by those irresponsible and inconsiderate cyclists, but it will hopefully happen!

I train on country roads in the afternoon\ early evening and one of my biggest bugbears are motorists who overtake oncoming traffic into your face pushing you of the road.

Three weeks ago I started wearing a dayglo police type jacket when I train' date=' not one single incident since, even traffic coming from behind seem to give me a wider berth.

[/quote']

Something I have been telling Hubbers to do for a long time, but it seems that it is not cool to wear it. I would rather be an un-cool alive cyclist, than a cool dead one!!! Well done on making yourself more visible!!

I was out at 5.30am this morning RUNNING not cycling and came across a small bunch of riders at an intersection, there were no cars but the lights were red and they were waiting.

I kinda found that refreshing.

This is the kind of responsible attitude we can all live with, motorists, cyclists, runners everybody, - unfortunately you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink.!

hello. all of sudden we have such a positive vibe. everybody is abiding by the rules. congrats.

THIS WILL HELP SQUAT!

think of the thousands and thousands of people out there.

now think how many people are reading this!

we need action. we need big stuff to happen. educate the masses.

hello. all of sudden we have such a positive vibe. everybody is abiding by the rules. congrats.

THIS WILL HELP SQUAT!

think of the thousands and thousands of people out there.

now think how many people are reading this!

we need action. we need big stuff to happen. educate the masses.

I disagree. I stopped at a red robot recently. Two other cyclists came from behind and started to go through the red light. One of them looked at me and stopped, the other went through. Hopefully the one who went through will stop the next time. Think of the small stuff first and the rest will get better.

This morning in the fog and the dark through Paarden Eiland I caught two guys without any lights or reflectors. When I suggested they get lights I was told to "F%*k off and mind your own business' date=' d#!s."  Angry

Surely we also need to take responsibility for ourselves.
[/quote']

I had the same situation yesterday.

Was in my car minding my own business came to the last set of lights leaving Fish Hoek. Parked at the red lights and 3 cyclists (2males, 1female) come passed and go straight through the red light. My blood boils, the lights eventually turn green and I catch up to them on the corner going into Kalk Bay. I wait until it is safe and pull up next to the guy leading and say, Buddy that was a red light you guys jumped, it's cyclist like you 3 that give the rest of us bad names.

He looked at me as If I was from another planet and said...... LADY DO ME A FAVOR AND JUST ****OFF!!!

Cyclists are getting knocked down daily in Cape Town (Another one in Muizenberg this morning) but we still have cyclists on our roads daily that are not obeying the rules of the road.

I wanted to take a photo of him and his friends but the roads around that area are so narrow and I had a couple of cars behind me. I wish I had a way of identifying this idiot as I would have taken it to the papers.

I GIVE UP TRYING TO PROMOTE SAFE CYCLING.

If these 3 cyclists are hubber's, and you have the guts please pm me.  

This morning in the fog and the dark through Paarden Eiland I caught two guys without any lights or reflectors. When I suggested they get lights I was told to "F%*k off and mind your own business' date=' d#!s."  Angry

Surely we also need to take responsibility for ourselves.
[/quote']

I had the same situation yesterday.

Was in my car minding my own business came to the last set of lights leaving Fish Hoek. Parked at the red lights and 3 cyclists (2males, 1female) come passed and go straight through the red light. My blood boils, the lights eventually turn green and I catch up to them on the corner going into Kalk Bay. I wait until it is safe and pull up next to the guy leading and say, Buddy that was a red light you guys jumped, it's cyclist like you 3 that give the rest of us bad names.

He looked at me as If I was from another planet and said...... LADY DO ME A FAVOR AND JUST ****OFF!!!

Cyclists are getting knocked down daily in Cape Town (Another one in Muizenberg this morning) but we still have cyclists on our roads daily that are not obeying the rules of the road.

I wanted to take a photo of him and his friends but the roads around that area are so narrow and I had a couple of cars behind me. I wish I had a way of identifying this idiot as I would have taken it to the papers.

I GIVE UP TRYING TO PROMOTE SAFE CYCLING.

If these 3 cyclists are hubber's, and you have the guts please pm me.  

Hallo ouma

Jy raak darem lekker oopgewonde ne...........  If it were me I would have stopped and told him to say that to my face.  Some pain would be handed out.  More to him than to me.

Yes we try to stay safe and abide by the law.  And then schmucks like this ruin it all in 5 min.  @SSHOLE

* hijack*

am going to miss the World funride Champs again............................  so was looking forward to meeting a few hubbers.....

Will see that I do do it next year.  PROMISE

* hijack off*

Hey Skye, unfortunately those guys will never change - until one of them does get killed, on or off the bike, then they get even more angry...

Only thing to do is adjust our own riding, and when we're ON our bikes, if we see anyone, to confront them. Maybe we do that on our rides Saturday mornings?

Maybe we do that on our rides Saturday mornings?

Maybe if you graced us with your Saturday morning presents, we could work on that idea of yours WinkLOLWinkThumbs%20Up

Wait, I can't find my coatLOL

See ya Saturday

Hey Skye' date=' unfortunately those guys will never change - until one of them does get killed, on or off the bike, then they get even more angry...

Only thing to do is adjust our own riding, and when we're ON our bikes, if we see anyone, to confront them. Maybe we do that on our rides Saturday mornings?

[/quote']

The problem is that the misconception has already been placed that ALL

cyclists are @ssholes.   We are not I know.  But with dipsh*ts like

this, no matter what we do or say, the damage has been done.

It has been said before and I will say it again..   we must first clean our own house, before we start blaming motorists.

Just read Ewep's thread on marshalling, people who get up early and

come and escourt us, so we can have a marshalled cycle race and then we

behave like @ssholes and scream, shout and swear at the people who are

there to protect us.

Now who is the @sshole..... the motorist or the cyclist

Three weeks ago I started wearing a dayglo police type jacket when I train' date=' not one single incident since, even traffic coming from behind seem to give me a wider berth.

[/quote']

Just this afternoon it happened to us. Not only did he pass with his horse and trailer but also went into the wide shoulder where we were riding. He swerved back just before I went for the bushes and his dyed blonde fat ugly trailer trash girlfriend hung out of the window giving us the middle finger........ and guess what his registration number in wild Angola was.....CY!!!!!!!!!!!