Anriette Schoeman knocked down

Thug

Windbreaker

I am a Durbanville resident.  One of my training routes used to include 'the 5 Hills' on the Philadelphia road between Adderley and Wellington roads.  Trouble is, that stretch of road does not have a proper shoulder.  After a truck came past me too close for my comfort on a weekday training ride I have decided to axe that from my midweek training routes.  The only way this stretch of road could be made safer is by re-tarring it with broad shoulders.  Of course I would be delighted if this were to happen, but unless and until it does, I can survive (and plan to!) without it.

There are other, safer routes which I use, and/or I can save the Philadelphia road for weekends.  There are some roads which make it difficult for motorised traffic to give cyclists adequate space, and we need to think long and hard about where we ride.

As I have said many times before, none of this has to do with right and wrong.  A motorist who clips a well- behaved cyclist on a narrow road is to blame, but there is nothing to be gained by putting ourselves at more risk than the minimum.

monster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't they still riding with the Fuji's? Pearly white ones' date=' but i think her frame geometry's a bit different than the rest (plus the fact that she rides a very small frame)[/quote']

Looks like you are right. Looks like they ride the World Champion edition Fuji. Dunno why it has to come from Germany though... Unless they are buying last year's bikes from the Equipe Nurnberger team.

wolverine' date=' i tend to agree with you. mas to a certain other person's (name starts with a "c") comments... hmmmm, can he explain why it seems the worst drivers in terms of lack of respect for cyclists and runners seem to be w.... middle-aged "people" driving 4x4's????[/quote']

I had more of them swearing at me, while riding almost on the pavement , minding my own business, telling me to f- off the road warra warra warra. Had few/very few problems with taxis/trucks. And its probarly because the taxi drivers used to cycle everywhere, and know what happens when a car go past you!

Aren't they still riding with the Fuji's? Pearly white ones' date=' but i think her frame geometry's a bit different than the rest (plus the fact that she rides a very small frame)[/quote']

Looks like you are right. Looks like they ride the World Champion edition Fuji. Dunno why it has to come from Germany though... Unless they are buying last year's bikes from the Equipe Nurnberger team.

As far as I know she rides/rode a standard 52cm carbon fuji. Might be wrong.

Windbreaker

I am a Durbanville resident.  One of my training routes used to include 'the 5 Hills' on the Philadelphia road between Adderley and Wellington roads.  Trouble is' date=' that stretch of road does not have a proper shoulder.  After a truck came past me too close for my comfort on a weekday training ride I have decided to axe that from my midweek training routes.  The only way this stretch of road could be made safer is by re-tarring it with broad shoulders.  Of course I would be delighted if this were to happen, but unless and until it does, I can survive (and plan to!) without it.

There are other, safer routes which I use, and/or I can save the Philadelphia road for weekends.  There are some roads which make it difficult for motorised traffic to give cyclists adequate space, and we need to think long and hard about where we ride.

As I have said many times before, none of this has to do with right and wrong.  A motorist who clips a well- behaved cyclist on a narrow road is to blame, but there is nothing to be gained by putting ourselves at more risk than the minimum.

monster

[/quote']

Yo, I accept that you made a personal & wise decision to stay off that road but that is different from publicly stating that this is the course of action that we should all be taking. I try to stay off the main rd between Fish Hoek and Muizenberg - also because it is dangerous. But it is dangerous because the road is pot-holed and a small proportion of the motorists are  inconsiderate .

There is an article in the Ride magazine which puts it into perspective - maybe we should be riding two abreast on all roads and not stuck over in the gutter for the simple reason that it is probably safer to do so. And motorists should realise that we have a right to be on the road - even if we hold them up for 30s on their 45 minute journey. Our safety is more important than their convenience.  It really is as simple as that, in principle anyway. On the other hand we also need to be considerate too.

We all have a long way to go.

Windbreaker2007-02-15 06:48:30

wow, cervelo, i'm impressed... you just gave non-whities their dues and acknowledged that they aren't all bad... well done!

So the article is looking for the emotional response from the reader, cause then her bike aint rare or at least only as rare as a citi golf, and I reckon I could go to several bike shops right now and pick one up. So what else are people mis-informing us on? Just curious.

wow' date=' cervelo, i'm impressed... you just gave non-whities their dues and acknowledged that they aren't all bad... well done![/quote'] you get some really good non white characters of whom I know a few, just a pity some others spoils it. And that pic of muddee , thats making me boil..

So the article is looking for the emotional response from the reader, cause then her bike aint rare or at least only as rare as a citi golf, and I reckon I could go to several bike shops right now and pick one up. So what else are people mis-informing us on? Just curious.

They are not available to the public here is SA. A limited number were brought in for sponsored riders, plus a few for contacts/friends of importers.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/probikes/arndt_fuji/6624-the-bike.jpg
splat2007-02-15 07:58:03

Might be, i'm not very sure...the last time i saw her was at last year's Knysna...and she dropped half of us so quickly i didn't even have time to take a peek at her bikeEmbarrassed.

But a 52 frame??? Isn't that a bit big for her? I ride a 48 and i'm a bit taller than she is. She's 1.58m - that's what my length was when i was 13! But as i said - i don't know

Yes, it's a stock standard Fuji, 49cm. Proline took mine back when I left the team, so they should have one handy in her size.  Last time she was perfectly fine after her run-in with the taxi.  My husband spoke to her manager, Alex Cooper this morning and it doesn't sound serious at all.  At least she is ok!  Thumbs%20Up  Think it was an over-enthusiastic reporter trying to make the story a little more interesting

She's 1.58m - that's what my length was when i was 13!

That is the "Vat so" for the week. good one Nellie. ClapClapClap

Thanx for the update Chrissie!

Glad to hear she's not hurt too badlyThumbs%20Up. And 49 sounds more like it - 52 was a bit hard to believe considering her length.