Barlo not doing us any favours

Red Zone

Rabobank have initiated a fine system that includes fines for being spotted without your helmet!  That happened because Kai Reus went cycling on his own' date=' was picked up next to the road and has no recollection of how he got there.  he missed a year's riding and so it was a big financial loss for him and Rabobank.

ON THE OTHER HAND; they lost thomas Dekker to Silence Lotto because of the stifling system at Rabobank (of which the fines is a symptom).  Silence Lotto are way more relaxed and can't be bothered to wear helmet.

So what do people in Holland think about this helmet wearing frenzy?  They don't care!!!!  Basically you wear it if you want and guess what?  Nearly 90% of the guys wear it on training rides because it makes sense to them.   No swearing required.

OK, I know it's the law in SA, but really, are there no bigger issues in SA?  Maybe Clarkson is right after all.  Things are not really that bad if this is what people get worked up about.
[/quote']

rapha condor don't use helmets for any of their photoshoots.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

holly and that makes it right?

Willehond you're either pregnant or not, you can't be half pregnant. You're breaking the law or you're not. Agreed some laws are for mopre serious offences but nonetheless, the law is the law.

I agree with foe that these guys are role models. What's the big deal about not wearing a helmut? You want to feel the wind through your hair, stick your head out the window like dog (no reference to the willehond intended)

If I was their helmet sponsor I would be very upset if they do this.

If I was their helmet sponsor I would be very upset if they do this.

you get upset to easily, especially when your tyre logo's dont match

i simply stated a fact. i made no judgement on the matter. chill, dude.

As I said before- its everyones own choice. a really good point on the sponsor side - surely Giro, Bell and the rest would like their product to be advertised?

Either way - you may save your own life by wearing a helmet, for everything else... it doesn't concern you.

As I said before- its everyones own choice. a really good point on the sponsor side - surely Giro' date=' Bell and the rest would like their product to be advertised?

[/quote']

the ads i referred to are for the rapha line of gear, not the team. 

not stressed holly, it's just that I see this happening more and more. If we don't say anything (and this point has been brought up time and again) does it make it right. Minding our own business and ignoring others, does that make it right? We see a group of tonsils riding 3, 4 abreast and some say mind your own business but then we bitch cause we get no respect. How do we get our own house in order at all levels if we "mind our own business"?

helmet or no helmet - i'm more concerned at the general road behaviour of visiting pro teams. wearing B'world, Rapha Condor kit doesn't make you immune to the laws of the road. the general motorist out there does not distinguish between visiting pro teams or local training bunches, he just sees "cyclists" riding like they own the road and causing a tailback. 

Willehond you're either pregnant or not' date=' you can't be half pregnant. You're breaking the law or you're not. Agreed some laws are for mopre serious offences but nonetheless, the law is the law.
I agree with foe that these guys are role models. What's the big deal about not wearing a helmut? You want to feel the wind through your hair, stick your head out the window like dog (no reference to the willehond intended)
[/quote']<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

When I?m on my bike I feel like a dog with his head out the window.  Happy!!!!

I know it?s the law, but nobody is enforcing it, so now every helmet wearing self-appointed traffic cop on a bicycle, feels he has to reprimand those who do not wear a helmet!  If the police were doing their job and fining people you would not have to shout at them.

The problem here is about the sense of entitlement South African road users feel when they step onto tarmac.  I also turn into some weird angry being when I get into a car in SA.  My wife thinks I turn into some kind of nutter, but you feel you have to get agro to survive (car or bike).

Why do people here in Holland not get upset when they have to sit in a traffic jam for two hours every day, why don?t they hoot and swear at each other, why don?t they get upset with cyclists who ride in front of them, in the dark with no lights on, two abreast, with no helmets on and chatting away on their celphones???  I don?t know, but they just don?t.  People have anger issues in SA.  It?s not about right and wrong, it?s just an attitude of entitlement and anger.  Serious therapy required!

?.and lastly, I absolutely, point blank refuse to wear a German on my head (no matter how small), so please, the thing on my head is a helmet, not a Helmut!

Willehond2009-03-05 09:49:01

It sucks if we try our best to promote safe cycling and the pro's break it down.  If RH would to fall without a helmet - must we cry??

willehond,

helmut? head? your treatise on belgian vs austrian culture makes all the more sense now. and to get back to the local situation, my mom has just called to tell me my boet's house has been broken into. he's down covering the giro so he doesn't know yet. i just hope they haven't stolen his bike stuff. at least his bianchi's in c'town. going there now...

Willehond, it's the up until recent legality of the Mary Jane (dagga) in the Netherlands... promoted a culture of relaxation and ease IMHO.

Pity they did away with the little cafe's recently.

Holy' date=' that sucks!  Man, how unlucky can your family get?  It's like a plague[/quote']

i know! we musta been really bad in our previous lives, like maybe genghis khan's relatives?had to drive around last night with a car packed with bike frames and wheels. the total value of the cargo was more than double the value of the car!