Bike retailer cartel

Jules

Bottom line: If we are going to win any war against crime' date=' then all crime must be investigated and action taken.

Even if it is your domestic stealing a pair of jeans or your neighbour letting off fireworks or a taxi stopping on a yellow line ....... and so the list goes on!!
[/quote']

I agree 100% but don't judge and condemn until the investigation is over and a finding is made.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagwil, i'm all for hearing both sides of the story. And I believe there is already a fair amount of information in the public domain. Would you argue that we reserve judgment on mad bob until he is found guilty? Was the arms deal squeaky clean because government "investigations" declared it so. From what I can tell, this competition commission investigation happened precisely because hubbers did not reserve judgment. They aired their grievances here for the authorities to see and act upon them.

Bottom line: If we are going to win any war against crime' date=' then all crime must be investigated and action taken.

?

Even if it is your domestic stealing a pair of jeans or your neighbour letting off fireworks or a taxi stopping on a yellow line ....... and so the list goes on!!
[/quote']

?

?

I agree 100% but don't judge and condemn until the investigation is over and a finding is made.

sage words.holy roller2009-03-07 10:06:45

I cought the beginning of SC last night and this was brought up on there aswell. It looks like this issue is taking its toll on AM. Is it my imagination or is he very skinny (more then usual) and going quite grey.

I cought the beginning of SC last night and this was brought up on there aswell. It looks like this issue is taking its toll on AM. Is it my imagination or is he very skinny (more then usual) and going quite grey.

Very strange you mention that. My Mrs last night who can't stand SC or AM said that exact same thing about him looking all grey.

Very Wierd.

@ Holly> nothing more then what was said in the club newsletter and that he knows they should not have had the meeting the way they did.

@TNT> I don't like my messages to sit tight on top of the signatures. You sometimes miss the last line of the post. In IE you can add hard returns but in Chrome it does not see hard returns and you have to put a carracter.

AM said that "they" (wholesales and retailers) had a meeting to discuss, issues in the industry and talk about discount and prices ect.

He then said that there is no cartel and no mission to fix prices. He also said to pick any 10 items and compare prices vit different shops... it wil differ

But he then confessed that they later learned that such meetings may not take place and that it illegal. But surely if you work in that industry you must know that...??

I want to believe him but somehow I don't --Cyclelab just feels like a ripoff to me (price wise).

Lets say that prices are fixed, that doesn't mean that different stores would not charge different prices. They just fix the cost price.. thats what I would have done....

But good that he adressed the issue on air

I got a mail from C-Lab regarding the issue.

I can't find it - tho. It was very spin doctor'ish

He then said that there is no cartel and no mission to fix prices. He also said to pick any 10 items and compare prices vit different shops... it wil differ

Of course it will differ as long as they compete over a "set" base price! ie. go no lower than Rx

Nothing new was said HR sir

thanks, mate.

since meeting andrew last year and chatting to him at the bike park a while back, i wouldn't say he's lost weight. he's a skinny guy.

This just in...

Competition Commission enquiry - Cycle Lab response

In the recent enquiry made by the Competition Commission' date=' it has been alleged that the cycling industry met to discuss possible price-fixing schemes on cycling equipment and collusion to ?drive up? margins. Cycle Lab, as one of the attendees of this meeting and as a leading retailer in the industry, would like to respond as follows:

Late last year over 40 of the country?s cycling wholesalers and retailers were invited to gather in Johannesburg at an open conference to discuss the state of the industry. The aim of the forum was to generate solutions to overcome the effects of the economic recession, with the objective of helping all SA retailers develop a sustainable business.

This meeting was not an attempt to fix industry pricing, as alleged by the Competition Commission, but rather assessing the cycling industry and establishing ways to align the South African market with current international trends. All parties present debated possible solutions.

It has come to our attention that the minutes captured at this open forum were inaccurate and, based on this document, the Competition Commission felt compelled to launch an enquiry into the matter. However, all members present will attest to the actual intent of the meeting and, to ensure the matter is resolved, have undertaken to sign legal affidavits to this effect.

As an attendee of the meeting, Cycle Lab believes that the conference was aimed at providing positive outcomes for the entire industry ? wholesalers, retailers and consumers ? and that, once the Commission has completed its enquiry, they will find that this meeting was held with the best intentions for all involved.  As one the country?s leading cycle retailers, we would like to re-affirm our commitment to our consumers.

Andrew McLean,
 Cycle Lab Director

[/quote']

"A STATE OF THE INDUSTRY MEETINGShockedShocked The aim of the forum was to generate solutions to overcome the effects of the economic recession"

I think i'm gonna puke my lungs outAngryAngry.

come on Andrew!!!!! you insult us cyclists thinking we have half a brain with that kind of response. You guys got together to collectively increase margins at the expense of the consumer. Since when do all the competitors in a particular industry get together to discuss the industry (ONLY ONCE IN MY CAREER DID THIS HAPPEN IN THE STEEL INDUSTRY AND YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW WHAT THEIR FINE WAS FROM THE COMMISSION)

If you want to survive this economic down turn you need to change the way you do business. I been shouting this for months on the HUB but alasCry no-one listened.

Now you will reap the Wrath of the commissioner, without getting any sympathy from me other than asking you to take a long hard look at the finger in my avator, and it's not my thumb you looking at either

If so it did not stop him riding like a demon on Sun.