Bike retailer cartel

Jules

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a link to the original thread that was posted on the Hub? I would like to see the minutes that was published?

Does anyone have a link to the original thread that was posted on the Hub? I would like to see the minutes that was published?

search by title for "fixing" and topics over the last six months. if you view with newest post first, you'll find it on about page 61.

Hey

I just came back from Vancouver, I was out there shopping, specifically for bike parts.

I found most of their items to be in line with the prices we paying here especially on the old stuff (  08).

I just find the new stuff there 09, etc, significantly better in price 20- 50% depending on the brand.  So this is an issue, but there are a number of factors to consider from the stores and importers on this side.

If not, shipping, and internet sales are your friend...

Look at UK price of the new Epic round 4500 pound, translates to bout R65000 thousand rand, it hard to show the R92 000 here ringing true.

As for CRC' date=' they sell more shimano in one day the Cool heat sells in a month. No doubt their unit costs are much lower then the local guys. When you move volumes like they do you dont need to make the same margin either. Its a vicious cycle and they win either way.

[/quote']

one is only but left to ask why ? and dont say demand is not there, because so many people are buying shimano products online from CRC here in SA

Thats exactly why. People from all over the world by from CRC which is why they move massive volumes compared to our local distro.

I wonder if they are going to cover this article on the next Supercycling? - Or maybe they have too much to cover what with the Argus etc?

I wonder if they are going to cover this article on the next Supercycling? - Or maybe they have too much to cover what with the Argus etc?

It will be interesting to see but I guess it will not happen!

If they have a next supercycling - cyclelab program ... like it that these ppl are being investigated.

So this cartel is one of the reason the prices increased over SA? I know the exchange rate and the economic crisis also helps to increase prices, but this cartel set the RRP of bikes and other related items by a bigger margin?

I really think these okes didn't realise that what they were proposing is illegal. Otherwise' date=' there would be no way that 'evidence' would be so freely available. Think Tiger Brands and the bread scandal - these big business types knew exactly what they were doing hence the subterfuge.

Unfortunately for them, though, ignorance of the law is not a defence. [/quote']

Yes, you're right ignorance is not a defence. But I am sure each and every owner who joined in that meeting knew exactly what's being discussed and proposed. And just because someone on the meeting said :This is not price fixing, makes their proposals all better?

After the Tiger Brands price fixing scandal, even primary school kids know what price fixing is.

I only read the 'minutes' now and it saddens me to see a specific name of a shop owner that I did not expect to stand for cr@p like thatCry.

I cannot see the minutes in the link....Can the content be copied and pasted in this thread? Please?

I heard it the news on 94.7 radio

I feel that the market should self regulate- if collusion is taking place - its no longer a free market.

If it's not a free market, it's a clear failure of self-regulation!  If they open up the supply chains (allow competitive importing streams, no monopolies) I think it will lead to more competition.

People are scared of the local agents, that's what's wrong!

I hope "they" will not put pressure on the the Hub admin to shut down like the ANC is doing to the Scorpions.

It was claimed 'the minutes' we saw weren't accurate. but I think that's neither here nor there, as it was quite obvious to see what was going on.

The most important thing for me was the last line. It appeared that they didn't know what they were doing, and hadn't thought of the consequences of the meeting. And this is after one of the big two said that it wasn't illegal and 'price fixing'.

I'd like to think the lesson has already been learnt, but i wouldn't be surprised if some harsh penalties are enforced.