Pro Bike Set-up

bored girl

Isn't "elucidate" too big a word for Titus?Big%20smile

Yeah, anything with more syllables than beer and I'm lost.

But RT, your bike does seem a bit big. The top tube is very long, in fact it's almost the same length as mine and I'm a goodly way over 6 foot. The top of seatpost height seems to be congruent (eat that TNT1) with an 18 inch frame however. It's old school geometry. How high an "ape factor" do you have RT? Maybe the extra top tube length is good? Also that DB of yours didn't have much crotch clearance back then anyway. Will see if I can find anything about it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn thats a sweet frame Titus! Thumbs%20Up

I used to ride the Apex, and i always dreamed of the AXIS TT!!

(Didnt Dave Weins used to race on that?)

Well slap me silly and call me Susan!!

Where on earth did you find those pictures?

My google-abilities have just taken a serious knocking!

It appears to be close to mine Titus - but me thinks no cigar!

Will be bringing back some photos of her from home tonight to confirm...

Will mail you tomorrow if you don't mind...

Good grief...

Till later,

Susan.

I dont know bored girl, but riding a set up where you cant touch the ground from the seat dos not sound too safe to me.

Any set up needs to be comfortable and safe, toppelling off at traffic lights isnt conductive to either.

Thug, an "oversize" bike frame is relative, obviously if you are 5ft 6 and riding a 62cm frame its not viable, but generally if you have about a centimetre clearance between the frame and your stand over height you can ride that frame quite comfortably.

Too many bike shops and fitment centres get tied up in the "specifics" of set up (and unfortunately a lot of them see it as a way to generate some extra income) but for most cyclists who dont put food on the table with their bike skills a "general" set up which is comfortable, safe and allows you to look 30 metres up the road without straining your neck will be fine.

Back pain, shoulder pain etc can have many causes and not all are associated to set up, in fact most back pain comes from inexperienced cyclists pushing too heavy a gear over too long a period, nothing at all to do with set up - everything to do with getting stronger and more used to the workload.!

Stick to the basics, get a good basic recreational set up (not a competitive one which is stretched out, neck breaking and eye ball watering!!) and make small incremental adjustments yourself as you go along and get stronger.

Uhm - thanks Widget!

See you replied to Thug?

Unless I missed something - Thug was giving me advice regarding oversized bikes etc...

But what you say makes plenty of sense...

Trying to upload a photo of my ride to let Titus have a look - but I'm being blocked with a "you do not have permission to do this" message...

Joy.. Confused

Sorry RodTi - finger / brain problems.!

Judging by your present seat height and frame slope (size) there dos not appear to be anything wrong in that size frame - certainly you can get a comfortable ride and set up on it.

It could well be Titus?

Well have a look tonight - think a shorter stem would make a big difference?

And thanks Widget for your tips too!

So the frame is a large, but because it's so old - it might actually give comparable comfort to that of a medium??

Yeah, it's hard to say for certain. Check the centre of BB to top of top tube height. That'll give you the comparable size, but it also depends on how much they slope the thing.

Judging by your present seat height and frame slope (size) there dos not appear to be anything wrong in that size frame - certainly you can get a comfortable ride and set up on it.

I concur

That distance - seat tube - is 450mm... Might be a bit less - will look tonight. Think I might have measured it from where the seatpost begins (though that wouldn't have made much sense...)...

As for the angles - think I might have mentioned to you before - 71.5 head tube, 74.0 seat post...

Aw thanks Widget and Thug! Thumbs%20Up

Great piece of mind being developed this side!

You think it would be worthwhile to go and have a proper set-up done?

Doesn't it feel like you're going to wheelie every time you go up technical climbs RodTi? Your handlebars are high in relation to your saddle (although the bike is on a stand) and I notice that you have no spacers left to remove on the stem either. Maybe go for a zero degree stem rise as well... if your back is okay!