Pro Bike Set-up

bored girl

thought it was quite funny LOL

its amazing how those comments from this morning stopped

i think guys realised that by telling me how to "heal " my carpet burn quicker they are giving secrets away..........LOL

no harm done.Wink

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- if it is oversized' date=' is it even worth going for a set-up?

[/quote']

You need to go for a proper setup even if you think that the bike is too big.

It can make a huge difference in your riding.

I just would not recomend arran brown.

Heard and had some real bad experiences.

really interesting this

since you live in the Free State and ive spoken to about 15 people and they all recommend him Confused

plus rodti lives in the western cape...........might be a long drive......
bored girl2007-02-20 06:47:00

really interesting this

since you live in the Free State and ive spoken to about 15 people and thay all recommend him Confused

Use to live in JHB. and had and heard about bad experiences

Why not Arran, I had my whole club done by him and still waiting for a comeback from any of the members, Is it what you heard or have YOU personally been done in by Arran?

really interesting this

since you live in the Free State and ive spoken to about 15 people and thay all recommend him Confused

Use to live in JHB. and had and heard about bad experiences

do tell..........

I just had bad experience myself. and had some people of my club in jhb not very comfortable on the bike and they came to me for help to correct the measurements on their bikes.

But ive heard of people telling me that he is very good and some complaining about him.

RodTi,

I would still recommend having a proper setup done notwithstanding your frame might be too large. A setup will involve ensuring your cleats are in the right position, your seat height is correct, the angle of your seat is correct, the width of your handlebars etc etc. If you purchase a smaller frame, you would still need a set-up done to optimise your riding position, which also ensures that you don't place unecessary pressure on knees, back etc.

By having a larger frame than is required does mean some sacrifice in terms of manoeuvrability on the trail.

Thanks Thug - will definitely look in to it...

One last question - is that it though? Assuming that I have a setup, and I'm comfortable - does riding an oversized bike only affect manoeuvrability on the trail? I love trail riding - and it would be sweet to be more agile - but that will also come with more skill....

If I'm not aware of what I'm missing - and a setup gets me comfortable - well then I guess being a bit slower on the trail sections is a price I'm willing to pay...

As mentioned earlier - I love my bike.

Wouldn't be able to sell or replace it...

RodTi - Why don't you see if you can borrow a medium from someone and take it for a spin first to see if it might be better for you??

amateur2007-02-20 07:06:56

Amateur - have thought about that - but don't know if it would help much?!

As mentioned by someone earlier - it must surely take a while to get "dialled in" to a new bike... I rode round the block on a friend's medium bike a while ago - and I kept feeling like I was going to fly over the handlebars everytime I touched the brakes - just felt too far forward...

But ascribed that to the particular bike and never thought much of it until now.

Of course, I could simply be so used to my setup, that anything smaller feels foreign and wrong.

Which would mean I'd have to ride a medium for a good while, to get used to it, before being able to make a decision....

But then I started thinking - if it will take me long to get used to different sizes - then surely this speaks volumes for what I'm comfortable with now?

You get where I'm coming from?

Just trying to figure out why I should take another few months (or whatever) to get used to something (i.e a medium) that's supposed to be better for me in any event?

Surely if medium is the way to go (and I'm not disputing that the evidence overwhelmingly supports this view), why would it presumably take me so long to get used to it?....

My question/point make any sense?

I know exactly what you are saying.

I find it also depends on how experienced you are as a rider. Friends of mine can feel an emmediate difference if their sadle is moved just a cm or two and I'm like "WTF??? It feels the same to me", so I can then understand why you would'nt notice a difference so fast.

Maybe instead of taking it around the block a few times, take it on a long ride, with some minor tech stuff built in (if it's MTB), you should then be able to judge the handling etc a little bit more, oh and wear padding, just in case you do indeed fly over the handle bars WinkLOL

Thanks Thug - will definitely look in to it...

One last question - is that it though? Assuming that I have a setup' date=' and I'm comfortable - does riding an oversized bike only affect manoeuvrability on the trail?

[/quote']

The main differences would be in manoeuvrability, comfortability, control.

Perhaps Titus or Minty could elucidate further between having the correct sized frame and a frame which is too large.