My son was knocked down by a car during Argus!

Cyclist Mom

smiley7.gif I just thought every cyclist should know that a closed race is not necessarily so!!!!

After having completed almost the entire Argus on sunday, my son had 6 - 8 km to go when he came around a bend to be met head on by an unauthorised vehicle traveling contra flow to the cyclists. He tried to avoid a collision by slamming on his brakes, but it was unfortuntely unavoidable and he hit the windscreen at +-35km/hr- putting an end to what would have been a really good finish (at this point he had been on the road for 3hrs10mins). I think the worst thing about it is that it was a Fire services combi - which, when questioned by my son as to what they were doing on the "closed" road, answered that they were dropping off co-workers at Hout Bay!!!!!!!! So if she hadn't have hit him - she certainly would have hit someone else along the way!!!!! My opinion (and it is just that), is that they decided to use a City Of Cape Town vehicle to gain access to the race so that they could see it from a wind free - up front perspective!!!!! We have found out that the Fire Dept has nothing to do with the Argus - the police services sort out the road closure (haa ha!!) My son was taken to a water point, where he spend 5 hours, before a really helpful official dropped him at my daughter's flat. My daughter & her boyfriend took him to Cape Town Mediclinc, where it was feared that he had broken his neck and that he might become paralised at any moment!!!!! Fortunately, the Dr's had over reacted (rather that than the alternative) - and it turns out he has 2 cracks. He spent the night there under observation. He got off really lucky all things considered - his bike, I'm afraid wasn't as lucky!!! 20090310_224149_Accident.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope your son can get a new bike from Slaapstad and some $$$. Not to forget never paying for an Argus race again.

Speedy recovery

You need to open a civil lawsuit against the City of Cape town.

You really really need to do this. These idiots need to lose their jobs.

So sorry for your son. Hope he's ok.

Seriously, you NEED to sue these f%$#ers...Angry

Please make sure that you bring this incident to the attention of the Cycle Tour Trust. They must know about it in order to prevent a re-occurance in the future.

I would certainly take the matter further and if not a civil suit I would lay a charge against the driver.

I am sure the race organizers would be interested in this info. They secured road closure.

Was there not one trained medic on that Kombi that could have helped your son.Are firemen not taught basic first aid?

How could they let him stand up after a crash like that.

I hope he recovers soon.

I have no idea if there was a trained medic - the driver asked him if he was ok and he said she gave him the once over. He was taken to a water point where a Dr was present. He checked him and said he outwardly looked ok - but he would be happier if my son was taken to the hospital - just to be sure. He checked on him through out the time he was there - but I'm afraid there wouldn't have been much he could have done if the need had arisen. Traumas like this need to be delt with at a hospital.

1st off i hope your son recovers fully & send him all the hubbers' regards to get well soon

2nd off - JAAAA NEE, i actually am left rather speechless & this is supposed to be if im not mistaken the worlds largest attendance cycle tour. When are these monkeys gonna get it right. And then motorists wonder why cyclists give them the BIG UP YOURS FINGER. It all comes down to selfish motorists that have the attitude of " me 1st, me 1st, me 1st ".

What do Metro do as i saw yesterday on my way to work - Litterally sit & believe you me eat their own snot while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with a lazer cam ( ironic as the cars arent even moving 1st gear idle speed )- Shows you what kind of law enforcement we can expect out of the fools that run our country

okay im out cause im busy working myself up here

hope that he recovers quickly and that you are able to sort out some sort of claim, from either the firedepartment or the City of Cape Town council.

do send your son our brithday wishes for sunday.