My son was knocked down by a car during Argus!

Cyclist Mom

F#$kit!!!! hectic!

dankie Here tog vir helmets...i hope your son recovers quickly!

sue the MF's!!!!

Shocked   Baie odd kombinasie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send him my condolences please. Not sure if it is the lad from PMB who I met for the first time at supper on Friday night in Seapoint? I know he had an accident towards the end of his ride. He is a very pleasand youngster.

hi Cyclistmom,

Sorry about your son, hope he's recovering well.

In defence of the fire department and volunteers, they all do a stunnig job fighting the tons of fires going at the moment.

All fireman are also required to have a minimum level 3 first aid. I am assumig that since noone even looked at your son, they were probably not supposed to be using the vehicle and that they were not fire department personell but rather friends of someone in the department.

Having said this i think you do need to lay a charge against them because it gives the fire department a bad name, especially if people are abusing the vehicles. If they were fire department personell, then i wouldnt want one of them rescuing me if they are incompetant- I also volunteer for a rescue organization and we are organised and efficient. So by laying a charge you would be doing the fire service some justice...

go for it!!

Hi Birdie

Sorry to hear about your brother's accident.

At the risk of seeming insensitive, you say you rode past him and knew that he had been hit by the car but went on to finish your race.

Clearly you also made a judgement on his condition otherwise you would have stayed with him.

Why then are you so scathing of the excellent organisers who had all manner of very visible injuries and other situations to deal with?

I think you are being a little unfair. You also had the opportunity to stay with him and escalate his medical care quicker.

davem2009-03-11 05:50:13

THAT IS A DISGRACE, HOPE HE GETS WELL SOON.  DON'T LEAVE IT, TAKE IT FURTHER, SUE THE SUCKERS......

Not really

She wasn't able to carry him to the finish line and it was felt it would be best for her to get to the end and from that point try and get back to him in a vehicle or get hold of someone to help.. However, as I have said in my original posts, he was taken care of by some of the officials (who were really helpful and tried repeatedly to get an ambulance in) and a Dr on site. I also think you have to understand the stress she's been under- having to take care of her brother. (We don't live in Cape Town - my husband and myself weren't there) - so she picked up the slack! I think she's still running on that!!!

Cyclist Mom, all the very best for your boy. I've had the same misfortune he has had and it ain't pleasant.

Take em to the cleaners!!!

DaveM - what do you expect the sister to do? quickly ride home and get a spare car in the middle of Argus mayhem....you ponce! THERE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A CAR ON THE RODE, WHAT PART DON'T YOU GET

Hey Cyclist Mom & Birdie- wishing the dude a speedy recovery! You must have been terribly stressed by the situation. I agree with the other posts, please don't let this end here, take it further. I recognise that the fire fighters have been doing a great job with the fires in the Cape, but road closure is road closure- regardless of who you are -to prevent this type of thing from happening.

I've seen cars on the 94.7 route up here in Joburg every year that I've watched and I get so mad that there are people out there who think they're above having obey rules and get stroppy with officials who approach them. Simply not on!

Hey Cyclist Mom & Birdie- wishing the dude a speedy recovery! You must have been terribly stressed by the situation. I agree with the other posts' date=' please don't let this end here, take it further. I recognise that the fire fighters have been doing a great job with the fires in the Cape, but road closure is road closure- regardless of who you are -to prevent this type of thing from happening.

I've seen cars on the 94.7 route up here in Joburg every year that I've watched and I get so mad that there are people?out there who?think they're above having obey rules and get stroppy with officials who approach them. Simply not on!
[/quote']

At least the officials approach them - this didn't happen here. When my son asked her how she had gotten onto the road - she said that there hadn't been anyone to stop her. She said she didn't know it was a road closure and that she's not a cyclist so how is she supposed to know this. I think everyone who lives in Cape Town knows on Argus sunday - THE ROADS ARE CLOSED!!!!!

Oh and this happened at 10:01am - so Argus was very much still in full swing! Cyclist Mom2009-03-11 06:31:40

Hey Cyclist Mom & Birdie- wishing the dude a speedy recovery! You must have been terribly stressed by the situation. I agree with the other posts' date=' please don't let this end here, take it further. I recognise that the fire fighters have been doing a great job with the fires in the Cape, but road closure is road closure- regardless of who you are -to prevent this type of thing from happening.

I've seen cars on the 94.7 route up here in Joburg every year that I've watched and I get so mad that there are people out there who think they're above having obey rules and get stroppy with officials who approach them. Simply not on!
[/quote']

At least the officials approach them - this didn't happen here. When my son asked her how she had gotten onto the road - she said that there hadn't been anyone to stop her. She said she didn't know it was a road closure and that she's not a cyclist so how is she supposed to know this. I think everyone who lives in Cape Town knows on Argus sunday - THE ROADS ARE CLOSED!!!!!
Oh and this happened at 10:01am - so Argus was very much still in full swing!

I hear you! It's the same up here- I'm often gobsmacked by the number of people stopped at the end of a blocked off road- UNDER A SIGN ANNOUNCING THE ROAD CLOSURE!!- with a "hey, what's going on here?" expression on their face!

Have you taken this up with the relevant groups/people yet? What response are you getting?

Dont buy the "did not know story" we had an incident on sat where a youngster electricuted himself on the overhead power lines at CT station and chatting to the medic that arrived he stated that essential services quick response was attributed to being on high alert for the Argus.

Sorry to hear about the crash.

I have to agree that the "I didnt know" is bull. Was going to say she must be blind but then again she is as she didnt not see any of the 25000 ppl on cycles that day.

Hope Ur son gets better soon

Wow! that is all i can actually say about this story. thats how shocked i am.Shocked

Get well soon bud! and come join the hub when you are better!

This is a total outrage.

If these idiots were not driving that vehicle whilst acting within the course and scope of their employment with the Cape Town City Council (and i do not possibly see how they could have been), the Council is not liable.

This is a total outrage.

If these idiots were not driving that vehicle whilst acting within the course and scope of their employment with the Cape Town City Council (and i do not possibly see how they could have been)' date=' the Council is not liable.
[/quote']

Not sure about that, if they took the vehicle without permission, the City Council is still liable because it still stays a CC vehicle driven by a CC employee.

Even though the vehicle was stolen it stays CC property and they will be liable..  some or other latin pronunciation I cannot remember