My son was knocked down by a car during Argus!

Cyclist Mom

Thanks chaps.

The worst thing is' date=' it's his first year out of school and since he didn't have a clue as to what to study, we allowed him to have a "gap" year of cycling. This is going to set him back somewhat as he'll have to take it easy for a few weeks now.[/quote']

I also took a gap year for cycling, and had an accident in the argus. I will never do that race again. I feel its poorly organised and it's not worth the pain, effort and expense. He'll pull through. He'll come out stronger. and in the grander scheme of things, this incident is just going to be a line in his book. He has so much time ahead of him. Im sure he is getting much love and attention from his family, which always helps big time. It sounds like "Mom" is going to make sure he gets the royalty treatment

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am horrified by this! i am also VERY glad to hear the youngster will be ok. Cyclist Mom and Birdie, my thoughts are with you and the youngster - hope he heals up fully faster than expected.

as to the comment re the sister (Birdie) riding on to the finish - it makes sense to me that she went on - get to the finish, get car, get to hospital (if an ambulance has already materialised) or get to brother asap . pretty logical. when i went down inthe 'shova in 2006 my emergency contact people were riding and i've never even thought it remotely odd or uncaring of them that they had to finish the race first...

You guys are all awesome - thanks so much for all your input. My son flew back to Natal today and although tired - seems well. I would really appreciate it if the Argus organisers were as caring - I still haven't heard back from them.

I have heard from the wonderful officials who saw to him at the water point - they emailed to find out how he is doing in their personal capacity.Cyclist Mom2009-03-11 11:29:32

You guys are all awesome - thanks so much for all your input. My son flew back to Natal today and although tired - seems well. I would really appreciate it if the Argus organisers were as caring - I still haven't heard back from them.

I have heard from the wonderful officials who saw to him at the water point - they emailed to find out how he is doing in their personal capacity.

It is called denying liability, if they contact you, they know something went wrong and they are responsible.

So it is much easier to ignore you and hope you will accept this...

See a lawyer and here if you have recourse to sue them  and then DO IT.

You will have a lot of support from the hub community

Good luck

Cyclist mom, look up the number for the PPA. Ask to speak to Steve Hayward. He is the reigning PPA chairman (or whatever). He is also linked to the Argus Cycle Tour by virtue of the relationship between PPA & the Tour. But more importantly he is also a relatively senior manager within the Cape Town City Metro. So he has all of the connections required to escalate this properly.

Good luck

When my son asked her how she had gotten onto the road - she said that there hadn't been anyone to stop her. She said she didn't know it was a road closure and that she's not a cyclist so how is she supposed to know this.

uhmmm... so she drove right into this oncoming flood of cyclists?

and didn't think it strange that the cyclists are all over the road?

and didn't swear at one of them for not riding single file?

eish, hope someone will investigate this!!

speedy recovery, dude, get well soon, there's lots more kilometers of safe cycling waiting for you.

Don't the organisers have some kind of clause in the entry form that indemnifies them from injuries that may be sustained to cyclists or their property?Confused

I am in no way supporting the PPA here, it is just a question.

I feel that the PPA should be sued as they are the organising body, the metro because they are in charge of enforcing the road closure and the fire department for reckless endangerment of life and lack of professional support to an injured person (cyclist).

Every person in Cape Town knows that these roads are closed on Argus day, and are a no-go zone for vehicles except authorised emergency and backup vehicles and race officials.

What makes this whole case even worse is the fact that the fire dept vehicle was traveling in the opposite direction to the flow of cyclists, so the impacts would have been worse than hitting a stationary object!!! The driver of the vehicle should also be be sued in her personal capacity as she probably used the "status" of the official fire dept vehicle to gain access to the route and thereby knowingly endangered the lives of cyclists.

Cyclistmom I hope your son recovers quickly and that he is back to normal soon.
Speed Devil2009-03-11 14:47:49

That must have been the longest stretch of road for you to ride Birdie, knowing that your brother had been injured. You did the right thing by getting to the finish and arranging a car (would not have helped at all to stop at the scene and simply sit with him). And on top of all that, you too had already endured some serious conditions and were fatigued ... I know from experience, that we don't always think clearly in that state, so hat off to you girl. DaveM - don't know where you come from bud, but rather stay on the couch!

Cant really blame the marshal's for allowing the vehicle on, its an official emergency vehicle, blame should be laid with the idiot driver who should have been driving with a white stick if they did not see 1000's of other cyclists.

Thanks guys! Appreciate it! My boyfriend was cycling with me and made me realise it wouldnt help for me to stop - it would be best to finish and go from there. Sometimes helps to have someone else make you think clearly and decide what the best thing to do is! In the end it was def the best option! To be honest i couldnt quite understand how he could have bn hit by a car during Argus. Had a very confused 6km's!!! The last thing you'd think wld happen!!!!!

Thanks again for all the msg's! All messages have bn passed on to him :)

He's looking good - but more bleak abt the fact that he didnt get to finish the race after the last 104km's of torture!

Hi Cyclistmom and all other cyclists

Do you know that you can claim compensation from the Road Accident Fund if you are injured by the reckless or negligent driving of motor vehicles on SA roads.

You can claim for medical expenses past and future, loss of earnings (past and future) and General damages (pain and suffering)

Find a good personal injury lawyer, they usually work on contingency (they ask no money upfront but take up to 25% of your claim.

This dude really really deserves the medal. He would have finished had some twot not taken him out on a fully closed route! He must be so frustrated!! It was flipping hard out there. I kept thinking it was like fighting a battle and every km down was a win. For him to make 104km and not make those last few kms is not nice.

Get better dude. Catch you next year!

This is shocking and flys in the face of everything that cycleists have been fighting for.

Now I'm not a roadie, (I lurk in muddy places) so I'm not to sure how these road races work, but I did the argus with a friend on Sunday, our start was delayed by an hour and from Boys drive (Muizenburg) onwards till the race was stoped (we were approaching Chappies) we had a constant flow of trafic, both with us and against us...? Now it was only a 2 lane road, and they are really not very big lanes to begin with. Add to that the wind factor and riders were wobbeling and being blown all over the place. I had words and hand gestures with a few cars my self.

I was under the impression that a race with full road closure means "A CLOSED COURSE"? from the time the race starts till the time the race finishes, there should be no cars on the course...?

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Perhaps I should just stick to my single track and rivers... Smile

I hope your son is making a good and full recovery Maam.

Ryda.

If I am not mistaken, this happened at the bottom of Chappies, as you enter Hout Bay, about 89 k's into the race re my Polar. This part of the race is fast and the road narrows as you enter Hout Bay. You lean into the curves to max your speed. I was astounded to see a combi appearing so suddenly in front of me, stopped on the side of the road as I came out of the curve. I assumed that it was a rescue vehicle helping a rider who had lost control and smacked into the side of the road. I went by too fast with my eyes front to see if anyone was injured or the details of the vehcile. The main thing about where it happened was that it took place on a blind corner, and given the speed at which we were riding and the narrowness of the road at that point, it was virtually inevitable that someone would collide with the idiots. I agree that they were likely abusing their position to drive to a vantage point, and it is just a plain effing lie that they were not aware it was a road closure- who are they after all- day visitors from Mars?

I am just sorry that it was your son that this happened to, and I hope that you do take on the municipality, in line with the advice given by the hubbers, and that you are successful. This will force them to take the appropriate steps in future to avoid this.  

Cant really blame the marshal's for allowing the vehicle on' date=' its an official emergency vehicle, blame should be laid with the idiot driver who should have been driving?with a white stick if they did not see 1000's of?other cyclists. [/quote']                                                                      It's all good and well letting an emergency vehicle onto the race route, but then it should enter from the rear and not go against the flow of cyclists as it would be extemely dangerous when coming around blind bends like in this case.

Just another reason to switch over to MTB !!!

But then again.... a quad might klap you in the bush.