Leg pain

I have been cycling for 2,5 years. I average 150km a week and raise this to 220km when a race approaches. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I had a Fuji Team Pro and completed several races with no problems. I ?upgraded? to a Cervelo R3 and have done 2 races on it. It took a long time to setup as I have a problem high up on my inner hamstrings as they ache if I don?t get the set up just right Training rides have been going well but the two races have been disastrous. In the Amashova last year I started cramping badly at 70km on the inside of my front thighs where they go into the knee joint. My left thigh was worse and I could not stand the last 35km.

I put this down to lack of training. Since then my training has been going well and I was looking forward to a good ride at the Argus on Sunday. Alas, both quads got very sore again after about 60km, in the same place although they did not cramp.Ouch

A lot of people say that my posture does not look right on the R3 in that I am too upright. Could this be the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Check your saddle,I had a similar problem which i battled with for months 'till i discovered the shape of my saddle was wrong. It was catching my inner thigh and obviously cutting of blood supply or pinching a nerve. I now ride a very narrow saddle with a flat hard sit bone area!

Gauging from how much you train I would firstly say that you fall within the group of people who don't train enough - distance and intensity. When you go to races you race harder than you've ever trained - the result will almost always be cramping or suffering towards the latter part of the race.

Cramping like you experience can also come from incorrect setup ie cleats or feet at wrong angles leading to discomfort around knee-area leading to overuse of certain muscles especially inner thigh that then have no alternative but to start cramping.

I see so many cyclists with ankles angling to the outside and knees and legs pumping out(to the top of their stroke and then coming straight down next to the frame again - this is the worst action(weaker as oppose to straight up and down) and will lead to sore thighs and knees from time to time.

Have a proper set-up done, not by your LBS but go to a biokineticist that cycles as well. They must measure your legs, they must measure your reach, see if you can touch the ground, is your one leg shorter than the other, does your feet hang to the side when relaxed, do you have flat feet(then you need inserts), how much do your shoulders " come around to the front" when reaching forward(ie when you reach forward your shoulders don't stay in a straight line)

A LBS can't do that. If you can spend thousands on a bike you can at least invest in your health . Have this done every 3 - 5 years. Will cost less than a R 1000 and will save you the agony of sore backs and many other minor problems.

Apart from that, a proper setup will put you in the most powerful position on a bike that you can get. Most people, I will say 95% of cyclists that hasn't had a proper proffessional bike set-up done before, will immediately, without training, be at least 4-5% stronger on the bike, especially on climbs.

Good luck,

Naas.

Gauging from how much you train I would firstly say that you fall within the group of people who don't train enough - distance and intensity. When you go to races you race harder than you've ever trained - the result will almost always be cramping or suffering towards the latter part of the race.

Cramping like you experience can also come from incorrect setup ie cleats or feet at wrong angles leading to discomfort around knee-area leading to overuse of certain muscles especially inner thigh that then have no alternative but to start cramping.

I see so many cyclists with ankles angling to the outside and knees and legs pumping out(to the top of their stroke and then coming straight down next to the frame again - this is the worst action(weaker as oppose to straight up and down) and will lead to sore thighs and knees from time to time.

Have a proper set-up done' date=' not by your LBS but go to a biokineticist that cycles as well. They must measure your legs, they must measure your reach, see if you can touch the ground, is your one leg shorter than the other, does your feet hang to the side when relaxed, do you have flat feet(then you need inserts), how much do your shoulders " come around to the front" when reaching forward(ie when you reach forward your shoulders don't stay in a straight line)

A LBS can't do that. If you can spend thousands on a bike you can at least invest in your health . Have this done every 3 - 5 years. Will cost less than a R 1000 and will save you the agony of sore backs and many other minor problems.

Apart from that, a proper setup will put you in the most powerful position on a bike that you can get. Most people, I will say 95% of cyclists that hasn't had a proper proffessional bike set-up done before, will immediately, without training, be at least 4-5% stronger on the bike, especially on climbs.

Good luck,

Naas.

[/quote']Naas can you recommend someone in the Western Cape?

was thinking the same thing windbreaker. Heard of a lady in Stellenbosch - but not sure.

Does the Fitness Institute (new newlands - dont know what its called) do bike fits ?

Yes I can - I had it done about 6 months ago - after two years of knee pain and lots of irritation of not being able to attck on climbs. Now its all coming back again  - knee still not 100% but immediate improvement as far as relief was amazing.

The guy to see is Jeroen Swart - he's a docter, has done setups for Team Telecom, yes Ulrich and the likes. He's also the current MTB champion for his agegroup and operates from Sports Science - Newlands.

Discovery High Performance Cycling Division and the

Sports Medicine and orthopaedic practice both offer similar services.

These services are as follows:

1) Ergofit fitting:

The client?s measurements and history are taken and a

computer generated report is issued. This can be taken to a bicycle retailer

who will then alter the bicycle as required.

2) Ergofit + fitting:

The client?s measurements are taken as per Ergofit. The

clients is then positioned on the bike according to the Ergofit report and a 7

point check is performed to assess whether all parameters are optimal.

Additional forefoot, rearfoot and leg length assessment and correction are

carried out.

3) Comprehensive

assessment with Dr Jeroen Swart:

Please note that assessments with Dr Swart are a bike

fitting only when conducted through the HPC.

The Sports medicine practice includes injury assessment and therefore includes

a medical consultation.

There is a significant waiting period for consultations with

Dr Swart through the HPC.

For bike fittings

through the HPC:

Contact cyclinginfo@ssisa.com

for Ergofit and Ergofit + fittings

Email Jeroen.swart@uct.ac.za

for consultations with Dr Swart

For bike fittings

through the Sports Medicine Practice:

Please call 021 659 5644 or email DNS@intekom.co.za

For more information on Ergofit, please visit www.sciencetosport.com

He's really booked-up in advance - don't delay.

Although some can do without the personal consulation, I recommend to do it anyhow.

All measurements are send to you via e-mail afterwards for future reference.

Cheers

Naas.

Many thanks chaps. I will start with a LBS.  If no luck will move on to a biokineticist.

Interesting about the saddle Roders. I felt that my fisik was too wide and bought a Sella. It felt much better but could not get the height right and developed knee pains. I went back to the Fisik and the knee problems went away. I think I will try the sella again. thanks.

Good luck' date='

Naas.
[/quote']

Hi Naas. What sort of distances and intensities do you recommend?

It's too involved to explain here.

Go buy The Cyclist Training Bible by Joe Friel - study and practice what he preaches and within 3 months you will have  easily improved by 15%. If you follow through with the book - base in winter and steady progressive training thereafter, you can easily do a sub 3 Argus - provided you've done some seeded races to start in a decent bunch.

But to get you going - start doing intervals twice a week, ride rolling courses, rest alternative days, do at least one big climb per week - seated. Increase distance per week by no more than 10%. Rest every 4th week - can be active but intensity below 60%.

Please go buy the book ...and don't listen to other advice that contradicts the book. Will only confuse you and you'll lose focus.

Good Luck,

Naas.

Thanks Naas. I have signed up with SA Training Bible and ordered the book! I am feeling pretty flat after that dreadful Argus and need something to re-vitalise me!!

You hit the needle on the head when you say "..don't listen to other advice.." I have been trying to follow a program but the group I ride in have their own so called programs which basically means starting slowly and going hell for leather up the gradients to prove how strong we are!!

Report back. Had my bike set up by Jason from Leighs cycles in Durban. He dropped my saddle and moved it back substantially. He also lowered my handle bars and adjusted my cleats.

After a hard 80km on Sat no more quad pain and no more burning feet. However my hamstrings were very sore and I guess I will have to persevere!!

Very Good Wobbles - remember your body need to adjust now to new setup - expect discomfort for up top 10 days - good luck

It's too involved to explain here.

Go buy The Cyclist Training Bible by Joe Friel - study and practice what he preaches and within 3 months you will have  easily improved by 15%. If you follow through with the book - base in winter and steady progressive training thereafter' date=' you can easily do a sub 3 Argus - provided you've done some seeded races to start in a decent bunch.

But to get you going - start doing intervals twice a week, ride rolling courses, rest alternative days, do at least one big climb per week - seated. Increase distance per week by no more than 10%. Rest every 4th week - can be active but intensity below 60%.

Please go buy the book ...and don't listen to other advice that contradicts the book. Will only confuse you and you'll lose focus.

Good Luck,

Naas.

[/quote']

define rest ?

as in no bike ?