High Pressure Sprays

Zula

Hey all,

So i have heard from numerous riders, that cleaning my MTB with a high pressure spray is dangerous because grit and grime can get into all the little nooks and crannies and can cause premature wear.

So I want to find out if this is true, because I struggle to get my bike 100% clean without the pressure washer, and just the prdianry bucket of water.

Can you use a pressure washer safely??

Can you use a pressure washer safely??

yes, if you keep it away from seals (not the furry buggers) and openings.

its fine if you got the nozzle that makes a fast fine mist just keep a good distance and use a good degreaser,

no one seems to mind pressure washers at the bike wash after Sani and Epic stages...

I learnt the hard way, they get itno your gear cable housing and cause prem wear, stay away from the high pressure ones, but you will  be fine with your normal gardena jet nozzle.

no one seems to mind pressure washers at the bike wash after Sani and Epic stages...

After sani-Day 3, I used a pressure hose, and pushed all the mud and sh*t into my frame...not a good idea.

I learn't my lesson!!!!!

how else would they get the mud off? Been using a PW for 15years. Just keep regular services on the bearings. no diff to riding through a river or having to hang your bike over the causway under water at the sani to get the mud off to continue...

Bucket of water, clean green spray and brushes.

Definitely no high pressure hose!

Most definatly no high pressure sprays

Drive home after ride. Keep bike attached to rack on back of car. Crack open cold beer. Gather hosepipe, clean green, brushes and get to it.

Wipe off excess water and allow to dry in sun. Lubricate thoroughly and wipe off excess.

Done

I think the general consensus is that Im lazy and that power sprays are probably not the best idea in town :) Ok ill give the clean green, bucket and brushes thing a go this weekend. Its just that the power spray is so quick and convenient :(

I vote pressure spray, yes it can force dirt and water into places, but if used properly I have seen no evidence to stop using it. Don't spary into seals, try not spray directly from the side, especially around the hubs. I normally spray at a downward or upward angle.

I regularly remove my crank, cassette, headset (every so often check the hubs/repack them with grease), etc to ensure no junk has built up over time. I generally find all clear, mostly the headset seems to attract dirt (doubtful that this dirt is encouraged by the HP sprayer).

So used cautiously I say HP it! Once done lube chain and cables (in as far as possible). My cables are more than a year old and having weekly HP baths, they're still going strong.

Get Prepsol, mix 50/50 with water in a spray can and spray on your muddy bike. 15 min later hose off , no pressure, and let the bike dry in the sun, easy like that. this has worked for me for years and I'm lazy when it comes to bike cleaning.

My new bike has an XT crank which I am told, and I can see, has the hollowtech technology. Basically it appears to be sealed on either end of the BB, by 2 cap like thing which are screwed onto either end ot the BB. Do you think this reduces the chance of getting dirt/grime etc into the BB/Crank area, or am I at the same risk level as a bike without?

My new bike has an XT crank which I am told' date=' and I can see, has the hollowtech technology. Basically it appears to be sealed on either end of the BB, by 2 cap like thing which are screwed onto either end ot the BB. Do you think this reduces the chance of getting dirt/grime etc into the BB/Crank area, or am I at the same risk level as a bike without?[/quote']

No, you are as much at risk of crap getting in as any other BB. Everytime I take my BB out to clean it is filthy.