Sweat & Gears? Benoni; MtB...

Merlin

There's some good stuff near Heidelberg, the John Deer race on 1st April uses the area. Finish Line cycles have rides Wed, Sat & Sun and sometimes go out towards Sentrarand (train yard). Usualy fast, not technical rides.

There's also some very technical riding out at Greenhills Golf Driving range, but development has taken away a lot of the 'easy riding' land but the hard, technical d/hill section is still there.

There's some good technical stuff at Gilloolys, but you'll get mugged!!! There is also some good riding near Brakpan, but I've never been out that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Well' date=' Sweat and Gears the shop still operates, just the rides out in the great african darkness "closed down" [/quote']

Hi TNT1, thanks for the mention.Clap

We are looking at starting up a new mountain bike out rides in Heidelberg, but we also have a few guys going out on mtb normal outrides. Give us a shout at the shop and chat to Arthur. 0114251152

Cheers

Lee

Merlin, you can find a number of rides posted here (i.e. the Spruit ride this Sunday). Also, look at Groenkloof and Fountains, Logwood has some beautiful singletrack in a safe environment, Dark and Dirty ride crazy technical singletrack every Thursday night, etc.

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to setup a ride at Fountains with some mates soon.

Logwood terrain is really not my kind of thing. :)

Too flat and boring...I like the foresty technical stuff, and some trials around town.

Cheers, N.

Merlin, we aren't exactly blessed with forests in Johannesburg! Um, have you been to Logwood as a bike park, or before the bike park?!

We used to be; that's the thing...

The Honeydew Quarry was brilliant...this side of Heidelberg (various areas)...Benoni...Pretoria...F'ing development has killed them all in the last few years.

I'm trying to organize Sabie in December, but getting all your mates together what with old age, marriage, etc. is somewhat of a Biaaatch. Hehe.

I used to ride Logwood in the 24Hrs...but haven't for about 2 years now.

I got an invite to Northern Farms a while back, and that was a bit better, but still not quite my thing. :)

Yes, I'm picky. *lol*

Now I do a lot of trick-riding around town...jumping cars is fun. *grin*

Flame away... ;)

N.

I'm trying to setup a ride at Fountains with some mates soon.

Just take note of the fact that there were some muggings there as well. Guys were held up by armed men. As far as I know, no such problems at Groenkloof. More trees and forest-like scenery at fountains, tho.

I've heard that too, which is why I'm trying ot organize a big group...that said, it is a worry.

Where is there not crime these days? :(

I was one of the first in the country to suffer a bikejacking...a knife to an 11-year olds neck does nothing good.

N.

Merlin, go to www.cultcycling.co.za. If technical riding is what you're looking for and you're ok with paying a bit of money for the privilege, Logwood is awesome. Buy a multi pass for R200, will give you just less than 7 weekend visits, i.e. R30 per visit.

Here is a description of one of their Blue routes:

Fast and furious forest riding at it?s best! As soon as you enter you are in the trees surrounding the <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />North Shore of the dam. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A left hand bend switches straight back to become a right and then winds through a series of horseshoe bends that lead under the 5 meter bridge that crosses from Dark Side to North Shore (both Experts only areas, but great to watch).

You are then led across a bridge of your own that will take you out of the forest and into some grassland before winding under a copse of Seringa trees and then a fast winding downhill back into the forest?in fact into some really dark forest with very large and old trees.

What goes down must go back up again, and inevitably the trail leads back into the highveld grassland. From this point on you will begin to encounter mounds and turns, and sometimes both together. After the huge ?Dustbowl Mound? you will be into a younger forest area that will take you onto the dam wall before passing the first exit to Zombie Birdhouse.

The route you have travelled to this point is called Zombie Short, and can said to be really a Blue 2. From this point on you are taking on Zombie Long and encountering the Blue 4 in all its glory.

After passing the exit for Zombie Short you will cross a sleeper bridge with a drop off exit and pass up onto the dam wall, only to immediately face a hairpin right hander that descends the dam wall on the other side and immediately into dense trees and a dark twisty section of trail.

This climbs the dam again through a twisty cut out section and descends the other side in a nasty off-camber diagonal drop. More twists take you back up onto the dam wall, another hairpin takes you down the other side again with a drop off onto a thick root (best to just clear it completely as there isn?t any way to ride on it safely) and into a huge circular berm that sends you up a cut-away onto the dam again.

Approach this climb with as much speed as your legs can generate, but remember the drop on the other side to the exit is STEEP.

As much as I enjoy Logwood it has become just to expensive . And to be honest how many times do you want to do the Sugar bowl smiley4.gif . The next "Logwood" will be at Fountains (rumour) and it should also be a awesome bike park . To really enjoy fountains you got to do one of the races there as a lot of trails get opened for the race . Northfarms got very nice single tracks , drops and all other goodies if you know where to find them . Phambili is another new play ground (Only R5) where you can entertain youself for hours . And then we got the Voortrekker Monument . There are so many single tracks around that place it is amazing . But I think of all the climbing involved it is not very popular with the fun rider YET .

Well' date=' Sweat and Gears the shop still operates, just the rides out in the great african darkness "closed down" [/quote']

Hi TNT1, thanks for the mention.Clap

We are looking at starting up a new mountain bike out rides in Heidelberg, but we also have a few guys going out on mtb normal outrides. Give us a shout at the shop and chat to Arthur. 0114251152

Cheers

Lee

Hey Lee !!!

Welcome to the hub Wink

Still remember those awesome races you used to organize there, and all the hard work you put into cutting the paths through the forestClapClap

Hope the business is going well,

Cheers

Jack

Has anybody tried that place behind cresta shopping center' date=' something PIG or other??[/quote']

Butterflypig I think. I never rode there but they closed down a while ago... another development story, coz we really need more cluster homes in this country you know