The Lemmers and CSA

fandacious

Amazing how many new HUBBERS comment on this topic! If you have a back bone, be man enough to post negative/positive comments about the LEMS in your own capacity, not as an ALIAS ....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah apart from the Lems all I can remember about CSA officials is that they are far more important than the riders...

Intern! I hope you're generalising there!! You know I have NO reason to be at cycling events other than the love of the sport - I have no living personal connection to the sport any more' date=' I just happened to have been born into it and I do what I can to help.

For example, SA track champs - my flight was paid for but I stayed quite a way from the track and had to hire a car - at my own expense - for six days so that I could get from the airport, attend meetings, officiate at the champs and get back to the airport to get back to the job I took two and a half days unpaid leave from so that I could work at the champs.

Most of my weekends are taken up with cycling. We do get paid a small fee for road races but that is not why I do it. I am not complaining, it's my choice, but I really do do it for the love of the sport and I do believe that most of the time my efforts are appreciated - I stay out of the politics and I do my job to the best of my ability and with a whole lot of passion and commitment, but I do get kinda offended at being pigeon-holed with "the officials" - sadly this tends to be the case most of the time though...
[/quote']

Most certainly am generalising. Not all CSA offys are like that, which is why I support the Lems - because they do not fall into the general category of CSA official....no offence intended to those who DO give a damn and DO think of the riders. I am referring to people like the 'ladies' at number collection, who tell you that 'checking on a computer [to see if a team member is licensed] is not their job', they'd rather not give you the number although it is a 30-second intervention. And COUNTLESS other examples...which I think most licensed riders will bear me out on...

Officials...they are now using them in lab experiments. There are some things the rats just wont do.

mmmph. heh.....eheh....mmmmpppph....BWHAHAHA

That is so funny

20090417_005312_20081111_031921.gif

Porky, thanks! I have no idea who any of you are and I am surprised at the way some Hubbers treat new commers. Skye, I realise that you also know Groot Lem personally because my comments were most certainly not personal. I merely tried to ask that unfair comments should not be made on a public forum as not all people are aware of the details...One other thing that I have noticed is the use of the word "officials". Officials officiate at races and get paid peanuts. The people that are sometimes referred to on this forum are actually very well paid employees of CSA, including the coffee shop gang.

I can be classified as one of the Coffee shop gang as that is where I have meetings with the Lemmers when required. And no I don't get paid one cent for my work in cycling - I even pay my own coffee. And I have a full time job on top of it. Stop flaming people and get involved and show your worth by doing something for the cyclist out there.

With WiFi' date=' plenty people do a lot of work out of a coffee shop. The office mentality is outdated for most jobs these days.[/quote']

For sales people maybe?

Senior managers in my company work from their offices 95% of the time, WITH their teams, demonstating  the necessary leadership behaviours to ensure sustainable business results.  BTW, I work for a global company, not one with a turnover of < R10mm. 

A number of vocations actually.

Great, but different companys in different industrys work differently so the comparison is irrelavent. BTW I've worked with a number of global companys as well, although I don't see where this bears any relavence to the topic, yeah?

Seeing Lem in a coffee is really going of tangent here and seems to be taken way out of proportion. It's just so so, ambigous.

I'm affected with the licence issue as well and the are definately questions that need answering, naturally I'd expect CSA to respond.

I don't however wish to part of a lynch mob.

Chrispy, I am involved and cycling costs me much more than a cup of coffee. I don't get paid a cent. Read my massage, I was not flaming, I was actually smothering. Gracie2009-04-17 01:57:24

I understand that there was a problem with licences' date=' but I wonder why don't we enter for licences in between October and November, so that we can have card in time for new year. If they apply late, pay extra fine to avoid problems.  [/quote']

I know of someone who paid in December, and last week, 3 days before she had to ride the worldcup, she still didn't have her card...

In 2008 I never received my card. So far only an email with my licence number for 2009...

So the new system prevents money disappearing? But looks like our cards are disappearing...  Who 'stole' money in the past? Money disappearing...

Again the old issue... as mountainbikers we pay but the money goes towards road cycling.

So what are we paying for... a very expensive piece of plastic card, if you're lucky to receive it....
Brighter-Lights2009-04-17 02:07:32

I'm affected with the licence issue as well and the are definately questions that need answering' date=' naturally I'd expect CSA to respond.

[/quote']

Has anyone ever noticed that the majority of issues seems to be based in Gauteng? Obviously the system is flawed, but it seems to me that there's a generous helping of political backstabbing or gross incompetence

I do agree with the most recent posts. Let's not get personal. Preference has been given to some clubs,provinces and diciplines. This NEVER happened in the past. We are so ignorant to just accept this. Why can't we just stand together and sort this out?

With WiFi' date=' plenty people do a lot of work out of a coffee shop. The office mentality is outdated for most jobs these days.[/quote']

For sales people maybe?

Senior managers in my company work from their offices 95% of the time, WITH their teams, demonstating  the necessary leadership behaviours to ensure sustainable business results.  BTW, I work for a global company, not one with a turnover of < R10mm. 

A number of vocations actually.

Great, but different companys in different industrys work differently so the comparison is irrelavent. BTW I've worked with a number of global companys as well, although I don't see where this bears any relavence to the topic, yeah?

Seeing Lem in a coffee is really going of tangent here and seems to be taken way out of proportion. It's just so so, ambigous.

I'm affected with the licence issue as well and the are definately questions that need answering, naturally I'd expect CSA to respond.

I think a comparison in this case might be relevant, since Mr Till was hired due to his previous experience in the corporate world.  This issue was used as a bit of marketing, late last year I think, attempting to demonstrate the change for the better in CSA.

Perhaps CSA realised that running the CSA along good big business practices, where customer satifaction/service delivery are normally top of mind, is a good idea.

BTW, I know both Lems well, and I have no gripe with either, but I also know that CSA needs to change fast(er), and running it along good (big) business makes sense.

One-on-one communications is key in my business, much better than using e-mails, hence the reason why people are in their offices.  

One-on-one communications is key in my business' date=' much better than using e-mails, hence the reason why people are in their offices.  
[/quote']

Quite correct. I contract to many of the very big construction companies, if you want to meet with senior management, you go to his office, he is there, not in a sunny coffee shop.

..............and another point, I recieved an e-mail from one of the big construction companies before christmas to say - No manager may recieve any gifts and if you want to take them out for a meal / function it must be after hours or cleared first.

In companies today, long gone are the heavy boozy corporate lunch appointments or running out of the office to drink coffee at the local shop and returning three hours later, todays managers in major corporate positions work in their office.

Anyway, its all irrevelant to the post, CSA is a small operation and I imagine Mr Lemmer pretty much has "Carte Blanche" as to his work enviroment or attendance at the office, certainly it appears they dont mind his rather 70s looking style and appearance, something else which would never be condoned in corporate business today.

.............but its usually a good idea to see what successfull companies ARE doing and copy them.

I've met with senior members of companys in a coffee shop, two of my clients who are CEOs have regular meetings in a coffee shop. It depends on the meeting as well. There ARE succesful companies at both ends of the spectrum. Yet this isn't a discussion on the intricacies of varying work enviroments and cultures. 

Personly I don't care which practice or working culture CSA subscribes to, as long as they tackle the issues at hand.

Which right now is debatable, especially the licence system, although overall in the long term it should be a good thing.

I believe they are implementing some good changes and I wish them well at a thankless task amongst some mind boggling politics, which in itself brings about many delays.

In defence of CyclingSA. I want to say this, 2 weeks ago a South African license was urgently  needed in Belgium, for a SA rider who's Belgium license had not been processed.

With the help of Harmony CC and CSA, the license was issued, scanned and emailed , and posted to Belgium within an hour...

Full marks to CSA, again thank you...

I am just a CycloSport licensed and recreational mountainbiker from Heidelberg, Gauteng and am truly amazed to read all the postings about this....obviously I know nothing about the inside politics or the past....I just want to say it really sad to read all this! If my license money helps to pay to get a pro cyclist to an overseas event, then let it be....it's more than I get from paying for my motor vehicle license, thanks to all the potholes, etc......

Bye,

and I will buy some fresh popcorn, but it stays sad...

I dont have to hide behind a name my name is Jill and I work at most race registrations in CG and I am not an official, I do this because I love the sport, I have never been rude to anyone at registrations, however maybe some one would like to work with me and have verbal abuse thrown at you, numbers thrown in you face and various other things tht hapen at registration. All we ask is that one produce your liscence, I have a computern at each event and have even been giving liscence numbers that apper on the system but no card issued yet so tht these persons have a number to put onto there race applications, So pleae guys dont say the ladies at registration use their names...... We know there is a problem where the cards have not all come through the system but it is getting better and better each time