Raleigh price cuts

wesf

If the Raleigh distributor 'fixed' the prices at dealer billing + 9%' date=' why would the 'bike shop owner' complain to a stranger/friend/customer? Why not go to the competition commission, especially with the current investigation going on?
[/quote']

Clap

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have some difficulty believing the 9% markup. Probike have caused people to raise some eyebrows at their dramatic price increases for 2009 and then the sudden decrease to somewhat less expensive prices. But to try force their retailers to only add 9% markup would be suicide, they will just reduce the number of retailers willing to sell their product hence further reduce their sales and hence income.

In the past Raleigh prices had a published recommended resale, but retailers would try their luck at selling for more than the recommended retail.

That said I will try sniff around and see if I can try get some confirmation of this rumour as much as I doubt its validity.
Daxiet2009-05-12 10:46:17

If the Raleigh distributor 'fixed' the prices at dealer billing + 9%' date=' why would the 'bike shop owner' complain to a stranger/friend/customer? Why not go to the competition commission, especially with the current investigation going on?

[/quote']

Oi! That's cheating. using logic and stuff and not calling people names and things is not thehub tradition. I call foul!

[/quote']

Oi! That's cheating. using logic and stuff and not calling people names and things is not thehub tradition. I call foul!

Feeling out of kilter, something amiss?

[/quote']

I second that ...

And with a fixed markup of 9% it means that one can only make 4% when selling for cash ... no sane person will stock these.

I have no experience of "new" Raleigh bikes. Are they any good? Why is it an issue that they are falling on their swords?

Is it that they are pretty good and are stirring up the market a tad? 9% is bs - nobody can survive on 9%!

So who is taking the knock here??? Raleigh and their markups???? I think not. A retailer I spoke to recently said that Raleigh let them know they they where not allowed to put more than 9% as mark-up on their products in order get the prices down. Nice one!!!! especially when some of their products get marked up by up to 500%

Shame

What a load of crap. Yes I do believe Raleigh uped their prices and yes I do believe Raleigh, like plenty others, uped the mark-up offered to shops, but this is the biggest load of crap I've read on The Hub in a while. And we all know we can talk nonsense.

Yeah, this a public forum and all of us have the right to voice our opinions, but think before you type in order to avoid looking like an uninformed ass person.

"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!"   ~ Jack Handy

Everybody mocks Raleigh, why I don't know. Their bikes are very well specced and now, almost unbeatable on prices. Why complain?

There has been so much complaining on this Hub about local pricing/markups and how SA prices are so much more expensive than internet prices (like Chainreaction Cycles).

It is simple, at least if the prices are low, the shop will make the sale and pocket his minimal 9% (as claimed in this post). If the prices are high, Chain Reaction will get the sale and the shop will get a whopping 0%.

Desperate times call for desparate messures. Count how many 2009 bikes are on the road. There are very few of them, meaning the shops are not selling. If margins have to be cut to make sales just to survive, then that's what needs to be done.

By the way, I have bought 3 bikes from local shops in my lifetime. Every single one has given me a discount on his marked price. I'm willing to bet that his final margin on the discounted bike is probably 10% anyway.

Eugene2009-05-13 00:52:04

Oh crow, if your head was not so faaar up your ass you may actually realize that this kind of stuff is happening.

I have a confirmation from Raleigh via PM of this deal that was offered to retailers and some accepted, hell knows why.....

I think they could then just open an online store and sell directly to the public.

Not complaining about the prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Few if any business  can survive on 10%.

I'm sick and tired of these distributors cutting prices. If another company does it i'm giving up cycling for good.

I mean, i work my butt off to spend on cycling and these idiots go and cut their friggin prices. Now i've got money left over and WTF must i do with it now!!!

I demand that Raleigh and all the other distributors put their prices up immediately.

Now i've got money left over and WTF must i do with it now!!!

I hate that aswell. I always have to re-adjust my budget.

Now i've got money left over and WTF must i do with it now!!!

I hate that aswell. I always have to re-adjust my budget.

All we need now is another rate cut, i swear, i'll slit my wrists.

Oh crow' date=' if your head was not so faaar up your ass you may actually realize that this kind of stuff is happening.[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up

Maybee the guy left of a 0 and it should be 90% ???

I also heard about the carbon frames cracking last year

and been replaced by new ones.

I had a raleigh , bought it from a shop in PTA forR8500.00

Exact bike at well known bike shop that is now gone marked

at R13500.00.....WTF !!!

Now riding a FELT and loving it.

Sorry raleigh NEVER AGAIN !!!

Sorry raleigh NEVER AGAIN !!!

Why not, because you saw another bike like yours costing more or because the bike sucked?