Spruit

svm3000

you guys are really sad , next time I will not mention any dangers or incidents that I see , cause you all turn ity into some playground ,

Some one out there this mornng has woken up to no mother , wife , gran

But I hope you all enjoy this Great Monday morning , No more posts from me

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh and when you do the search' date=' please don't forget to use the following variations on my name:

Nensie

Gatvlieg

witch

sangoma

Drew

oh and don't forget "lekker vet"

most of those should return a reference to me

oh and H - they're lyrics to a song

[/quote']

I refuse to become involved in this personal disagreement.WinkSmile

Same here......... or maybe I am just scared of the "black book"!!!!!!!!!

Clearly, Big H, you're not familiar with this aphorism:

'[it is] Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'.

you guys are really sad ' date=' next time I will not mention any dangers or incidents that I see , cause you all turn ity into some playground ,

[/quote']

don't let the actions of a few sad hubbers put you off. what you did was right, and the stupid personal attacks here should not put you off informing the rest of us, as a couple of right-minded people, who share your view, have posted.

We rode passed the same scene on Saturday morning - cops and ADT were on the scene. It looked like a black woman, in the opinion of one of the girls in our group who looked a little more closely.

Does anyone know what happened to the spruit patrol? There are a huge number of squatters on the spruit at the moment. I for one am starting to get uncomfortable riding there again. I guess it will be back to Northern farm soon...

you guys are really sad ' date=' next time I will not mention any dangers or incidents that I see , cause you all turn ity into some playground ,

[/quote']

don't let the actions of a few sad hubbers put you off. what you did was right, and the stupid personal attacks here should not put you off informing the rest of us, as a couple of right-minded people, who share your view, have posted.

well put HR, svm, dont be put off by the others.

Thanks for letting us know

Agreed HR

SVM (Or anyone else) more nfo on the incident will be greatly received. I ride that section often (with my kids) and would like to be kept informed of the dangers.

Would be interested to know more about the incident though - was it a walker / squatter etc

Seems I will be joining the groups heading back to the Farm....

That is sad. Sounds like it's the same area to where all the bike jacking took place. So it looks like the dangerous areas are the richman areas and not the gomgat areas where I stay. The only time it's not safe in my area is Sunday evenings when the souped up Golfs and Opels come out to play.

[/quote']

?

don't let the actions of a few sad hubbers put you off. what you did was right, and the stupid personal attacks here?should not put you off informing the rest of us, as a couple of right-minded people, who share your view, have posted.

I agree but you are generalizing a bit, the topic turned sour because of 1 (ONE) INDIVIDUAL smiley7.gif .......and ultimately people WILL defend themselves.

SMV

Sorry for turning your topic sour, it is much appreciated and I for one am grateful for your first post.Summit Cycles2009-05-25 00:41:06

[/quote']

svm3000, I'm sorry that this thread went this way.

My questions were not intended to be interrogatory. As many people here are already aware, I ride the spruit regularly and often on my own so it's a real concern when murders are being reported and I just wanted a bit more information.

next time I'll take up issue with bigh differently.

My sincere apologies

Nance - I go back to the comment I made on the 'age and cyclling' thread thing :-

Some hubbers should worry more about 'brain cell' deterioration than losing muscle / vo2max ....Wink

We rode passed the same scene on Saturday morning - cops and ADT were on the scene. It looked like a black woman' date=' in the opinion of one of the girls in our group who looked a little more closely.

Does anyone know what happened to the spruit patrol? There are a huge number of squatters on the spruit at the moment. I for one am starting to get uncomfortable riding there again. I guess it will be back to Northern farm soon...
[/quote']

i ride there regularly - on my own. commuting was my solution to try to reconcile limited training time with work-constraints and restricted daylight ... and the mood-lifter, of course :)

a false sense of security that i am safe doing so, because there usually are lots of people around ... but i don't want to end up being a (hijecked) thread on the hub with people asking - 'what was she thinking, she knew it was unsafe'

i enter delta park at the top gate net to the school, and then either of the downhills to the bottom, then on to barry hartzog, and exit on that bridge on the way to the mugg & bean, or cross barry hertsog and exit either at the next tar road, or at the emmarentia dam wall. same way back, but more often just down 7th to barry hertzog, then that singletrack next to BH  (dam's side), cross BH, and then back up deltapark.

which of these parts are considered non-safe, should i e.g. get mechanical problems and can't outcycle any danger??

cat-i

The problem is that nowadays, no place is really safe. I was hijacked on a really familiar "safe" path right near my house while cycling with three of my friends.

By the time we realised there was a problem, it was way too late to do anything.

These guys are opportunists, and you need to be really careful.

cat-i

The problem is that nowadays' date=' no place is really safe. I was hijacked on a really familiar "safe" path right near my house while cycling with three of my friends.

By the time we realised there was a problem, it was way too late to do anything.

These guys are opportunists, and you need to be really careful.

[/quote']

I am afraid nolipoli is correct. I don't believe it is safe to ride offroad, on your own, anywhere in the Pretoria or Johannesburg area. Eight or nine attacks in the Centurion area alone earlier this year says don't ride alone.

Ride in groups of 7 or more.

jagwil, I have to agree with you that there is safety in numbers the only problem is that it's not practical.  The time of the morning that I need to ride to fit some training in is ridiculous and I can't convince many people to join me.  My options are ride alone or don't ride at all.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there with this challenge..

Nancy Drew2009-05-26 12:26:01

I rode the Gardens down to Delta, around Delta and back tonight. Not too much action except a group of vagrants next to 1st Avenue at Pick n Pay. Delta Park itself had a few dog walkers and a couple of cyclists.

Yeah, we passed the body around 9ish on saturday morning, only saw the black feet sticking out from under the branches, did not want to hang around.

The police cordened the area off wtih police tape, the scene was clear on my way back though.

it is a horrible sight dudes....