Roadies:Stop moaning and start behaving!

AiKona

Guest Big H

No, that is not what I am saying and doing whatr you say is ridiculous. You must take whatever measures to protect yourself safely, but you must still remember you WILL be breaking the law rules, whatever. In any case what you do must not become a careless habit becuase it is exciting and lekker to jump red traffic lites.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said Big H:
I agree we should obey the rules but there are sometimes extenuating circumstances.

The safety issue is the ONLY time that jumping a light can be condoned - i apply the rule of "will i do this in my car?"... if the answer is a categoric "yes" then i'll do it on my bike. jumping the light simply because there is no-one around is not one of those instances. and yes, i do stop at the red lights on my way to meet the others for my morning rides even though i'm alone (UNLESS i can see someone lurking around) and we ALL stop at all red lights during our ride. if someone doesn't make it, we stop and wait, then and there.

No' date=' that is not what I am saying and doing whatr you say is ridiculous. You must take whatever measures to protect yourself safely, but you must still remember you WILL be breaking the law rules, whatever. In any case what you do must not become a careless habit becuase it is exciting and lekker to jump red traffic lites.[/quote']

So you can be a little pregnant?LOL

Thats a differant scenario Titus, there were no potential muggers lurking around here, they jumped the light, rode across the road and most probably would have had no hesitation in using a few abusive hand signs had someone approached them - why - because they dont care about the image they represent to the motoring public and they have the herd mentality which increases the sense of false bravado,- but in all liklyhood, they would be the first to holler loud and clear if one of them had "bought the farm" under a coal truck.

But, as I said, thats fine, its a free world and you can behave like an idiot if you like, but when that image increases my risk on the road, its now my business too.

widget2007-03-20 07:46:18

Yeah, agreed Widget but my other point here is that the minute you walk out your dor your risks of getting something happen to you are elevated to monstrous levels. Go ride on the mountain.

Extenuating circumstances!!!!!!..... A woman CANNOT be halfway

pregnant!!!! A law CANNOT be halfway broken. No excuse Titus and you

know it!!!!!

You must take whatever measures to protect yourself safely' date=' but you must still remember you WILL be breaking the law rules[/quote']

A little confused BigH?

I believe that there are circumstances when a group is entitled to occupy the full width of a lane.

In most cases a group of cyclists cause an obstruction less than would be the case of a slow moving truck occupying the same space. It is probably safer than if they were strung out in a 100m long line

"obstructing" motorists who intend to make left turns at some

intersections.

Why should that not be applicable in SOME circumstances? For instance I believe that a group of cyclists occupying the left lane as shown in the picture (as long as they were not going through the red robot) is the safest option.

LEGALLY THESE CYCLISTS ARE ENTITLED TO OCCUPY THE WHOLE LEFT LANE AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT RIDING 2 (or more) ABREAST. i.e. it could have been a line of cyclists 100m long. That is obviously not the desired action so it must be a compromise.

Windbreaker2007-03-20 07:52:02

It amazes me that some folk consider this a joking matter and make some inane comments which seem to me to be condoning the actions of the cyclists.

Now' date=' if one of these cycling hogs had been run down, there would be a big posting saying ANOTHER CYCLIST KILLED" and everybody would be adding their sympathies and condolances and "tut tutting" about how dangerous the roads are and  how cyclists are targeted.

Obviously some folk here on the site couldnt care a damn about holding up traffic, riding in the middle of the road, rude hand signs etc, well, Okay thats fine, but you cant sit on both sides of the fence and choose what suits you and when, you need to draw a line in the sand and say "I will  ride like an idiot and accept others will join me, but when I get flattened by an 18 wheeler I dont expect any sympathy, or I will obey the rules and try and be more aware of issues like this which gives me a bad name and increses my risk on the road. 

Take your pick
[/quote']

Widget, I don't think that it is as clear cut as the stance that you take and before I go shooting your point of view down can you clarify the circumstances which should dictate the manner in which we use our bicycles on the road. For instance if there is no yellow line, should cyclists be prohibited from using the road? If it is not possible for a vehicle to safely pass a cyclist does the cyclist have the right to occupy the whole road until such time as it is safe for vehicles to pass? When is "acceptable" for cyclists to ride 2 or more abreast? etc. etc.

If only the same amount of passion can go into actually doing something constructive. Like helping me to dig a few holes or asking a few mates for a donation.Wink

It is so sad to read how all cyclists 'stand' together. What I see in the photo makes me cringe' date=' but what makes me sad, is the fact that people are attacking people for showing what self-centered cyclists are not doing right and clearly breaking the law. Instead of shooting down the messenger, why not go to the intersection where this photo was taken and confront these law breakers in a civil manner. I am prepared to do so, anybody else?[/quote']

Clap amen, you have a witness.

nly i live in cape town but keep the faith. Next oke i see dashing a red light gets a snot klap on the helmet.

Oh no, there he's done it now - Windbreaker has gone for the "C" word.

Totally unnecessary in the middle of a lot of self-righteous ranting to come out with something so sensible.

Compromise - nice one Windbreaker, the voice of reason.

smiley32.gif

A little confused BigH?

No he isn't - you either can't read' date=' or apply deductive reasoning.

I believe that there are circumstances when a group is entitled to occupy the full width of a lane.

If you refer to cyclists stationary at a red light yes, if not, then the road traffic act is available from www.gov.za.  Download it, read it and show me where you found that drivel. 

In most cases a group of cyclists cause an obstruction less than would be the case of a slow moving truck occupying the same space.

The truck driver has no other option than to keep in the leftmost lane.  If he is slow' date=' but still within the confines of the law so be it.  If there are two lanes, and he sticks to the right hand lane for reasons other than to turn right, he deserves to be hooted at, and I would most certainly not expect to be threatened in any way by the driver for doing so.

Cyclists swarming over the same lane, have the option to keep left and not be an obstacle.  In doing so they too are within the confines of the law, and that is where they need to be.

The only exception to not keeping left, is if they want to turn right.  If from a single lane, they are entitled to move across the lane and turn.  If from a double lane, they may move to the right-hand lane, but are still expected to keep to the left thereof.

It is probably safer than if they were strung out in a 100m long line "obstructing" motorists who intend to make left turns at some intersections.

Safer yes, perhaps a slight irritation, but as they are within the law, it is their right.  It in any case only becomes an issue if you have hundreds of cyclists, and most clubrides are not that big.

Why should that not be applicable in SOME circumstances? For instance I believe that a group of cyclists occupying the left lane as shown in the picture (as long as they were not going through the red robot) is the safest option.

While stationary at a red light' date=' I would agree.  Under no other circumstances.

LEGALLY THESE CYCLISTS ARE ENTITLED TO OCCUPY THE WHOLE LEFT LANE AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT RIDING 2 (or more) ABREAST. i.e. it could have been a line of cyclists 100m long. That is obviously not the desired action so it must be a compromise.

Again not true (see my point on the road traffic act).  Cyclists are required to keep as far to the left as safe, and must always keep in single file.  If the road is therefore clear of any obviously visible obstacles, such as potholes, broken glass etc, the rider has to keep right on the shoulder (within a meter from it), and may only deviate from this to avoid obstacles.  When passing, this needs to be done in the fastest time possible, with the passing rider then returning to the shoulder as soon as it is safe to do so.

As for the guys skipping lights;

Find a safer route.  If you can't, then stop at the lights - simple isn't it?  f you then still feel threatened fine - though I would be hard pressed to believe that a ride as big as the one pictured needs feel threatened at all, ever.
R2S22007-03-20 08:28:19

Guest Big H

Originally posted by Windbreaker

A little confused BigH?

No he isn't - you either can't read, or apply deductive reasoning.

ClapClapClapClap!!!!!!! Yesssss!!!!!

There are ACCEPTABLE STANDARDS that every cyclist knows.

These may be differant to RULES - for various reasons, sure its legal to take up the entire lane, but its not motoring friendly, its not safe ,its not condusive to public relations and its not going to be much of a saving grace when the police tell your wife and kids, "unfortunately your husband collected a 40 tonner, but the good news is, he was legally in the middle of the road".!

Its quite simple -

1)Dont ride more than two abreast.

2)Keep left, irrespective of traffic congestion OR lack of it - make it a habit to ride on the left of the road - the yellow line is immaterial, 90% of my training is on roads without a yellow line. If its there - hey use it.!

3)Keep your hands on the bars - no abusive sign language.

4)Put a foot down at every stop street.

5)Dont jump red lights.

6)Make yourself visible at any time.

7)Use a light at dusk or early morning - actually use it all day.

8)Be pleasant and friendly to other road users.

More than that we cant really do and I doubt any motorist would expect more.

Its very simple, its very basic and its very clear cut.