Query re Cassette & Light Batteries

RodTi

Guest Big H

How many hubbers CAN go on for 24 Hours????!!!! My lights work if we want to go out for road training in the cool hours of the night or in the last few hours before daylight. Get the Sigma with the lighter NiHm battery. Shorter charging time and does not have a memory like Ni-Cad the bottle type. Extra batteries are prohibitively expensive though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah' date=' that sucks, what do you use?[/quote']

Using the NiteRider Moab, a bit on the expensive side but very, very effective. As Big H said those other lights are great for riding at night, it's just that they don't quite measure up in terms of light output and burn times but they are cheaper.

I've got a cateye double shot light. I used to have a Topeak H3, but it sucked.

I must confess that I did not study all the pros and cons of all the lights on the market, thats how I bought the useless H3. I needed a good light, so I bought the cateye after reading a cyclingnews.com review on it

The cateye double shot kicks ass! Thumbs%20Up It is bright enough for higher speeds on a road bike and it has nickel-metal hydrate bateries, so I only have to recharge once a week, I guess about 8 to 10 hrs of run time, perhaps more. Down side is that it is expensive, costs around R2k.

You get a tripple shot as well, that thing must really be wild!

(I've checked on cateye's website, they give the runtime as 5.5 hrs, I thought it was longer)
Christie2007-03-20 07:20:49

Titus - again, if you don't mind me asking - what's the ball-park figure for a NiteRider Moab?

Marius, as for lights for 24 hour racing goes, only a few companies make lights that have capable burn times, most others you're gonna need a couple of batteries. They are in no particular order: Niterider, Lupine, Light & Motion. These are the big players in the sport, there are probably a few others that are off the radar, I know GoLefty!!! has some cool headlights as well, still need to try them out though.

RodTi, the Moabs are expensive, you're looking at around 5k, but then for that you get a super bright HID that burns for a bit over 8 hours on maximum burn, and maximum burn is pretty potent. Niterider do make a few cheaper options as well, this is just the one at the top of the pile.

Let me add my 2c as well . For 24hours and more you can also look at the nitehawks and then the Peltz headlights which are absolutely briliant . One nitehawk on handlebar and one on helmet you are ready to go anywhere . Cat-I got some mother of a headlamp thats looks like a lighthouse at night but is the size of a dime !! It is one of the Peltz models . The Sigma's are by far the brightest lights but mine has been lying in the garage for the last year now .

Dunno about brightest, hey. The Lupine Edison is the brightest, hands down, it's like sunrise when that bloody thing powers up! And you get like 6 hours of daylight with it, unreal! You do pay a tidy sum for it though.

Got to agree with DR.

I utilise 2 x Nitehawks that use 4 x AA's in each. A set of fully charged batteries last 12 hours and the cost of the Nitehawk is approx R 550.

choices choices, but I can only get the Sigma or blackburn brands for cheaper...and why is no1 saying anything about the Blackburn lights, they surly win the looks department???

No one care what your light looks like but you care whether you can see or not. That is the only deciding factor!

Clap This is more like the old hub,  lots of info here. After demolishing my lights at the 24 hour last,  i need to get new ones.

I'm actually also looking for a lighting system for om winter training with it getting dark an all. I have a choice of two Brands' date=' yess, just TWO Brands so it should be easy. The one is Sigma and the other is BlackBurn, can some1 tell me which is the better option?? please!!![/quote']

CRC had Nite Rider Mi-Newt for about R1300 odd - saw it in a british magazine and it won their test, the battery is so small, fits on the top tube and is about the same diameter as the top tube........uses LED lighting system (its on my xmas stocking list)