Query re Cassette & Light Batteries

RodTi

Yeah but it's tapering all the time, so it gets worse the whole time you're using it, as you get tired you get to see less and less anyway, you don't need your lights exacerbating this.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken! But I hardly do more than an hour or two in the darkness so it has never even been noticeable for me.

I've got a cateye double shot light. I used to have a Topeak H3' date=' but it sucked.

I must confess that I did not study all the pros and cons of all the lights on the market, thats how I bought the useless H3. I needed a good light, so I bought the cateye after reading a cyclingnews.com review on it

The cateye double shot kicks ass! Thumbs%20Up It is bright enough for higher speeds on a road bike and it has nickel-metal hydrate bateries, so I only have to recharge once a week, I guess about 8 to 10 hrs of run time, perhaps more. Down side is that it is expensive, costs around R2k.

You get a tripple shot as well, that thing must really be wild!

(I've checked on cateye's website, they give the runtime as 5.5 hrs, I thought it was longer)
[/quote']

Hi. Where did you get the doubleshot?? I'm currently using a small cateye (not sure of the model) that runs off of 3 x AAA's but is only good for a few rides before it starts fading. If you factor in the price of disposable batteries it make sense to hoes a few R's up front and get rechargeable.

I use a Lupine Edison 10 on the bars and a unit which a mate and I import called a Nightlightning Blast!!! on the helmet.

The Nightlightning is a LEDbased unit that pumps out around 400lumens. It's about as bright as my Edison when it's running on dimmed mode.

Burn time for the Blaast!! is 5hr on a small 14.4V, 4000mA.hr Li-ion battery and on the dimmed setting it's over 14hrs. Switching between the two will get you about 10hrs.

With a higher capacity battery we can get up to around 8-9 hrs on full beam.

the url is here: www.cozasports.co.za

clicky clicky Nightlightning and take it from there.

More details are on the manufactures web site www.nightlightning.co.nz

The Lupine Edison is moerse............everything.

I obtained mine in 2003 from the Bike FActory in Chester under a shop sponsorship deal for the Shimano Sleepless in the Saddle 24hr event. It's still going. I been such a good boy to them that when I crashed the head unit in a massive stack they replaced the whole headlamp for the cost of a new bulb and balast.

This is the uncompromised best 24hr raing light in the world. full stop. The buck stops with the Lupine Edison 10............but sowill your cash flow.

At a cool R8000 new landed in SA it's the ultimate in luminence bling but you gotta see it to understand.

Hence I use the Nightlightning. It's more robust, cheaper and does not give away a lot in performance.

Various versioon can give you enough light from about 5hrs all the way to 90hrs and it's kick a petzl's hind plate into the alpha quadrant at warp 11.

Other viable options are the Niterider Moab,like TitusTi's or the Light and Motion ARC Ultra.

Supernova make some qwesomelights too but they high P99D is GBP750-00 x 15 = R EINA!!! 

There are no other real players in the uber performance lights arena.

GoLefty!!2007-03-22 03:36:15

Has anybody built their own light...? What kind of light and battery do you use, or is this option not worth the effort?

Off the shelfoptions are not necessarily pricey if you value reliability and performance.

The LED unit are way cheaper than the Lupines or other HID's