Why don't we have a proper MTB mag?

Pappa Bear

Okay, I've stayed out of this one till now, but I think that Tread Mag is definitely on the right path. I'm still not done with the first issue, and I got it about 2 weeks after the launch. It's a very good read, and I LOVE the matt finish print. It's such an elegant touch.

In terms of competing with MBUK, I don't think that's what the magazine is about, or should be for that matter. I think Tread is delivering good local content, something that everyone has been bitching about in the past. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Tread, and how the quality and content will increase. Keep up the good work guys!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I wil try and give some feeedback / input....... keep in mind that diffrent people would like diffrent stuff.....

Bought the mag and it was OK (way better than the rest)..... The articles good - but I do not want to "read" the mag over and over...  It would be nice if there is more pictures small big medium etc.  If I take a UK mag I look at the pictures 1000 times over and over, I drool over the bikes and components.

Ask bicycle shops to advertise with PLENTY of pictures as in the UK mags (small little pics with a price etc.)

When going throught the mag it very much felt like a "novel" no punn intended it seems a bit "structured".  What really work well - for me - was a route that they (UK mag) described lots of pictures and only 2 sentences per picture........

In short - work on your visual inpact so that the mag will be opened once again if it has been read.

my 5c....

Surely the content should be what sells the magazine' date=' not the gift inside the bag. Do you honestly need/want branded, bullet-shaped valve caps? Most people I know remove valve caps of any kind at the first opportunity they get...

[/quote']

I think free gifts work, I cant speak for the cycling industry, but, one of my customers approached a trade engineering magazine and asked if they could include a keyring with their name and business details on it as a free gift, there was an additional cost but he also got a bit of a free article on his company in the mag, which was nice.

Anyway, told me he recieved a lot of leads from his free gift and still gets calls now a few months later - so he was very happy with the excercise.

........and this is a very focused trade magazine, its not freely available so I dont think the distribution is very high.

Customers do like freebies, theres no doubt about it.

Surely the content should be what sells the magazine' date=' not the gift inside the bag. Do you honestly need/want branded, bullet-shaped valve caps? Most people I know remove valve caps of any kind at the first opportunity they get...[/quote']

I can not use it myself as they fit Schraeder valves. And contents should be selling point. But what if you can get both. If you subscribe you get a gift that is about the same value as your subscription. In this case its a pair of baggies.

Bear in mind, MBUK serves a different segment of the MTB population as well, unfortunately that market is not as large here. However, the more 'lifestyle' orientated market around MTB is huge here, that seems to be more what Tread is aiming at. So the comparison is pretty moot.

Conent should come before gimmicks like gifts, speaking for myself I hardly have a use for the freebies and buy on content before anything else, especially at R80 upwards for the imported titles!

Personaly I've been noticing more pages of ads in the UK mags lately and a bit of a 'lad mag' approach, although I still enjoy the Brit wit style of writing.

Quality wise the Tread content is pretty much there, obviously the goal is to always improve.

Also consider that Tread has had the some total of one issue thus far, most other titles have been around for close to a decade or more and have the backing of larger media houses who generally understand niche markets.

What I want to know is, when is issue two going to be mailed? Great mag, different to the overseas mags, but still a good format.

Also consider that Tread has had the some total of one issue thus far' date=' most other titles have been around for close to a decade or more and have the backing of larger media houses who generally understand niche markets.

[/quote']

Comparing Tread to a long-standing magazine like MBUK is like me trying to win a Downhill race against Minnaar. Actually, I think I have less of a chance to make an impact against Minnaar.

Bear in mind' date=' MBUK serves a different segment of the MTB population as well, unfortunately that market is not as large here. However, the more 'lifestyle' orientated market around MTB is huge here, that seems to be more what Tread is aiming at. So the comparison is pretty moot.[/quote']

Yes it does come down to personal choice. For me all the local mags does not cater for what I want to read. Other people on the other hand like to read about how to get fitter faster or 5 pages about the Crater Cruise. Untill I get what I want, I will continue to buy an UK mag every 2nd month because that is how long it takes to get through all the reviews.

....o yeah almost forgot..... will it be possible to give test bikes a rating, 1-5, or something similar in the next issue?

I fully agree with Mampara Tongue.

If I read once more how to get fit in 5 easy steps I will puke Dead..... and race reviews is NOT that exicting....

Once again I am only part of the market (which has not been cattered for before).  So yeap I will keep on spending on UK mags untill we get something similar in SA......Cry

MTB is not only about racing, there should be plennty of adventure and freedom as well..... and not only I am faster than you Angry

Okay' date=' I've stayed out of this one till now, but I think that Tread Mag is definitely on the right path. I'm still not done with the first issue, and I got it about 2 weeks after the launch. It's a very good read, and I LOVE the matt finish print. It's such an elegant touch.

In terms of competing with MBUK, I don't think that's what the magazine is about, or should be for that matter. I think Tread is delivering good local content, something that everyone has been bitching about in the past. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Tread, and how the quality and content will increase. Keep up the good work guys!

[/quote']

That's right, Hog. The MTB market in SA differs from that in the UK. In a nutshell, TREAD's editorial pillars are: where to ride, what to ride and who rides. It's a South African mag with content that relevant to South African mountain bikers. Of course we're eager to please everyone, but that's not possible. We're very open to constructive criticism and suggestions and will continue to fine-tune with each issue. Thanks for the support.

Hi' date='

I wil try and give some feeedback / input....... keep in mind that diffrent people would like diffrent stuff.....

Bought the mag and it was OK (way better than the rest)..... The articles good - but I do not want to "read" the mag over and over...  It would be nice if there is more pictures small big medium etc.  If I take a UK mag I look at the pictures 1000 times over and over, I drool over the bikes and components.

Ask bicycle shops to advertise with PLENTY of pictures as in the UK mags (small little pics with a price etc.)

When going throught the mag it very much felt like a "novel" no punn intended it seems a bit "structured".  What really work well - for me - was a route that they (UK mag) described lots of pictures and only 2 sentences per picture........

In short - work on your visual inpact so that the mag will be opened once again if it has been read.

my 5c....
[/quote']

Thanks Pappa Bear (didn't think I'd ever have to say/write that!)

You want more pictures, while others want more indepth features. It's a constant challenge to strike the right balance.

Issue 2 has a lot more gear reviews and we'll continue with that. Just need more local importers to buy into the value of that. Same with bike tests. Although beginners may buy TREAD, it's aimed predominantly at the intermediate to experienced MTB market since no other local mags cater for that segment. And quality is essential. Anyone can fill magazine space with big pictures and captions. We'd like to think our readers are a little more discerning...

Surely the content should be what sells the magazine' date=' not the gift inside the bag. Do you honestly need/want branded, bullet-shaped valve caps? Most people I know remove valve caps of any kind at the first opportunity they get...

[/quote']

I think free gifts work, I cant speak for the cycling industry, but, one of my customers approached a trade engineering magazine and asked if they could include a keyring with their name and business details on it as a free gift, there was an additional cost but he also got a bit of a free article on his company in the mag, which was nice.

Anyway, told me he recieved a lot of leads from his free gift and still gets calls now a few months later - so he was very happy with the excercise.

........and this is a very focused trade magazine, its not freely available so I dont think the distribution is very high.

Customers do like freebies, theres no doubt about it.

Porky, you're right, gifts do work. Look how McDonalds forced all its rivals into offering toys with kiddies meals. But in publishing, it's generally a sales gimmick to try and make one publication more attractive than its rivals (women's lifestyle mags are experts in this field).

We'd rather offer our subscribers added value for their investment since we don't really have a direct competitor on the newsstand.

What I want to know is' date=' when is issue two going to be mailed? Great mag, different to the overseas mags, but still a good format.

[/quote']

deanbean, Issue 1, Autumn, was an April/May/June edition. Issue 2, Winter, is a July/August/September issue. Should be mailed last couple of days of June. Thanks for the compliment and support.

Most SA mags are ok to read. Tread is good. The paper has a bad smell but thats all LOL

What i dont like is when gear gets reviewed that isnt avalibe in the shops . They always tell you who the importers are. Tell me where i can buy it.Wink

Need lots more infor on trails in SA. even some nice maps to them and of them. To me that is one area we falll well short. Some of the UK mags have pull outs for dome trails. Maybe even put a DL on you site for gps maps.

Sean will you have some content to cater for the people wanting to get from beginer into the intermediate level?