Shimano XT or Sram X9

johanbehrens

Hi

To all the MTB in the know, hope there is still some left.

I'm new in the game and have to make a chioce between the XT and the X9's

Help please

I'm talking about the derailers

You can not mix the brands so you will have to get the same brand as the shifters.

Much debate has been had on the subject here on the hub.

For me, SRAM is also the way to go based on my experience with both, specially in mud, I found the SRAM to be crisper and faster, also requires less adjusting once set - so I am a SRAM-fan myself.

But in the end it boils down to personal preference.

You cant cross brand - Sram must go with Sram (but I think you can use a Shimano front mech).

You might not have a choice. Im in the exact same boat. heres as far as I know the differences.

SRAM.

better in mud (1:1 ratio)

more distinct shifts

doesnt have to tune much (prob the same reason as no1)

Shimano.

Gold award in MBUK test (and thats all shimano/SRAM grouppos) and they would have tested mud

Cheaper.

Deraileur stronger (shadow)

I have been using shimano xt for years and I thought of trying something different, but it could come back and bite me in the ass.

I would google it, or go onto forums on MTBR, or even just look at their rating. This thread will be owned by guys backing what they already have.

I think In the end it depends on budget cause theyre probably very close on all the other stuff in the end

You can mix to a point. I have XT cassette, chain & FD on SRAM shifters & RD, but I don't think you can mix shifters & derailleurs.

They both work! I have SRAM on 2 bikes (X9 RD, X9 shifters and XT FD) and I have LX Sti's with XT RD and FD on another. In both cases if looked after they give me no problems.......