Winter leg weight training

I agree Windbreaker, it is "easier" on a hill to do a L4 ride that on a flat peace, but maybe it's because you are forced to pedal harder on a hill than on a flat piece, on a flat piece you can pedal lighter when you get tired and see a moerse drop in power but while on the hill you can't really pedal that much slower/lighter since you cadence is already to low?? does that make any sense??? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Also, I thought n doing exercises with slow cadence -60 and faster cadence 120+ would benefit your pedal efficiency and there for increase power output, just something I read the other day in a Mtb?ing Book.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically Increase resistance he he' date=' not easy simulating hills on a IDT.

One of the tricks with an IDT is to try and do the same as what you would doing the real thing, even going as far as using the recovery periods to simulate riding down hill (loooow resistance big gear light pedaling or spinning with a corresponding drop in HR / EFFORT.

You can also try the following:

?          Add an extra block (couple of inches high) of something under the front wheel to simulate an uphill gradient (apparently this helps to activate the correct hill climbing muscles).

?          Don?t just grind heavy gears, mix it up by alternating a few minutes at different cadences (whilst keeping within your training zone) i.e.  With a resistance setting slightly higher than normal do 1minute each @ 75 rpm, 85rpm, 95 rpm, 100rpm, 95 rpm, 85 rpm 75 rpm ? recover 5 ? 7 minutes with easy resistance and repeat x 2 [ do only 1 if it is the 1st time, progressing to 2 and 3 or more as you get used to it'].

?          Do some low cadence (75 ? 80 rpm) pedaling with a slightly higher gear setting (at a normal resistance) keeping the effort /  HR < 80% max, start off with 1 rep building up to 8 reps of 10 min with 5 -10min recovery between.

?          Set a higher resistance to simulate +/- 5-8% gradient and do some short 1-2 minute HARD race like efforts (like you are chasing a breakaway / attack), followed by 1 minute at a slightly lower effort, then repeat until you cannot maintain the speed obtained in the first effort.

Have IDT, HAVE FUN...

Just as a rider to that;

1. The elevation trick (riser) block has been shown to have no effect

2. Cadence is largely irrelevant as it is the intensity that matters - lets not forget that we are not trying to increase strength here and so low cadence has no bearing

3. Generally the limiter to climbing is FTP (60 min power) and this is best trained with efforts of >15 mins at 95-105% FTP or around 85-90% MHR - so an ideal IDT session for improving climbing would be 2 x 20 mins with 10 min rest in between.

4. Keep it simple and be sure to get the intensity right - not much else matters.

Bikemax, I definitely believe that FTP is key BUT I have been wondering about the cadence thing for a while now. As you probably know, I tend to do most of my intervals (L4 & L5) on hills because

a) It is difficult to find a flat piece of road that will let me do 20 minutes @ L4 uninterupted

b) because it's easier.

I can't achieve the same output on the flats as I can on the hills and I've come to the conclusion that it's because I am not training at higher cadence.

It seems to me that the effect is different on the body i.e. ftp @ 75-85rpm feels a whole lot different to ftp @ 95-105rpm. Maybe I'm just still soft.

The reason you find it easier to put out a higher power on a climb is that you are riding against a forced resistance. When we used the lab bikes I would always find guys could perform better when using the fixed power output ergo mode as opposed to having to use the gears to "make" the power.

Cadence only really has an impact on power output in so far as the faster the cadence, the higher the HR - so from an aerobic point of view it may feel harder to pedal at 110rpm than at 80rpm (not because of the power output but because of the 02 demands of the faster cadence)

Most studies have shown that slef selected cadence is the best way to go for max power output in endurance cycling.

I have just recently started doing a gym program again. I find it helps a lot... the key is that I don't replace my regular cycling... also I make sure that when I'm on the bike I ride a higher cadence then usual so that my legs aren't stressed to much... that also results in my cardio system getting a slightly better workout... I tend to find it helps with short explosive bursts on the bike...

The other thing is I tend to be careful not to overdo it... So if I've had a couple long rides and a tough gym session back to back and I am feeling flat I will take a day off and let my body recover.

At the moment I am doing 2 leg + core workouts per week, 2 upper body + core workouts per week, and 5 - 6 rides a week which are usually about 80-130kms per ride... I find this combination of training works very well during winter... I generally don't tend to do gym work for much more then about 8-10 weeks...

Also remember cycling is a non weight bearing sport so to strengthen your ligaments and joints etc you need to either run, hike or get into the gym. That way your body will become less prone to injuries during the racing season.

Also' date=' I thought n doing exercises with slow cadence -60 and faster cadence 120+ would benefit your pedal efficiency and there for increase power output, just something I read the other day in a Mtb?ing Book.

[/quote']

I'm scared to do anythig below 60 rpm - apparently bad for the knees??

Also' date=' I thought n doing exercises with slow cadence -60 and faster cadence 120+ would benefit your pedal efficiency and there for increase power output, just something I read the other day in a Mtb?ing Book.

[/quote']

Yeah imo and from personal exp it does hurt your knees more than what could be considered normal, try not to go less than 70 rpm.

[/quote']

Pedalling efficiency...  cmon guys you'll be buying Q rings next Wink

Work = force x distance and neither changing the phase, or the speed of the pedalling will help you get faster.

Limiter = CV capacity - I don't care what you do to the pedal stroke, you still need to feed the working muscles with O2 to allow them to do the work you are asking of them.

Oh no ... how did you find out about that? LOL

Oh no ... how did you find out about that? LOL

So that is how you got back to the bunch at Malmesbury ....

[/quote']

Yip yip, it does hurt my knees when done seated( so I don't any more ) but out of the saddle I can easily do 45-60rpm and have no problems with my knees. But then again I'll only do a low Cadance exerciese like that once a week.

It's obvious you lot weren't brought up in cold northern climes.

EXACTLY!  I'm used to very mild and dry Eastern Cape winters!  I'm already miserable about winterCry

At Epic I found myself pedalling at <70 cadence HR >80% in granny gear up the nasty climbs ... never trained that low and it messed up my legs big time ... if you get off to walk it messes up your legs even more ... you can ride faster cadence as you are stuck behind other riders and HR is too high anyway ... and yes ... it buggers up your knees! How do you train for that?

• 4 weeks later...

Remember this...

There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

If you?re scared of riding because you?ll get cold, simply put on an extra layer.

Q. What?s wrong with roadies these days?

A. I?ll tell you ? they?re a bunch of sissies! Cry

Thats why the Swiss created Assos, they have a garment for just about any weather condition.

Back to the leg stregthening.. I've found doing some work in the gym made a def.  improvement to my riding.

I try to hit the gym twice a week - for cycling IMO emphasis should be on repetition, not weight. Slightly increasing weight after a few sessions.

After the leg exercises I like to jump on the bike, to spin the legs out,

to stimulate the muscles and retain suppleness.