Would you recommend Q rings

fandacious

What is the hubbers take on Q rings?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What is the hubbers take on Q rings?

• Yes - I ride them and they rule
    • Yes - I've heard good things
    • No - I ride them and they dont help
    • No - I've heard bad things

Physics ??

Cmon Ivanb - you are in over your head here.

The premise of your product is that standard elipsoidal chainrings do not transfer all the power of the rider to the wheel (apart from losses through drivetrain) and that somehow Q rings mysteriously free up this lost power and translate it into increased output and therefore increased speed.

The problem is that there are no studies that demonstrate that strandard rings do not work efficiently.

''If there are no studies that say they are not effient are ther eany that sya they are? Then why the hype for studies that Q rings do.''

The other issue that you have not addressed is the amazing ability of Q rings to increase the output of a rider via a change in the phase of his/her pedal action despite the fact that their cardiovascular ability remains the same.

'' We have told many times why they do 'I say this in simple not scientific terms' it is because of the more effecient and easier pedaling action, lactates are reduced.''

You can market this all you like but saying - "try it and you will see" even though you cannot explain why, just does not cut it IMO.

I understand your point of veiw but if you are in the training business why not look at all possibilites to assist your athletes?

I know you are in favour of Power tarining but then if you are saying laws of physics cannot be changed why use train to increase Power as most cyclists are doing when you ask them about Power??

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger oval in the power stroke 56 teeth equivalent ther fore more gear ratio' date='  producers more power more speed, smaller gear in dead spot[/Quote']

IvanB, I understand clearly what the effects of the oval rings on the drivechain. The physics of this are clear but whether there are any measurable benefits from this is what is in question.

You man from Spain(?) states that the report on the studies are not yet available for publication because of factors relating to doping and whatever else. When they are published, peer reviewed and found to support the manufacturers claims I'll buy a set immediately.

Till then it's just marketing hype.

Ok then you will have to wait. Studies will not be long now. There are new ones being done and we are setting a few up here in SA.

i personally think these are way way overrated... if they were really that good the riders in the tour would use them

This is an old coment see previously for many reasons why they not being used. They main is the power of the 2 big guys financially and not allowing another brand in combination with their products.

Colnago Have them on their bikes, Sram allow them, and Cannondale has some on their TT bikes.

and you say the big blade equates to a 56 tooth ' date=' but for instance juniors are restricted to a 52tooth blade, do you provide 52 teeth blades? [/quote']

We have 52 for juniors. They are no problem. All legal.

I understand your point of veiw but if you are in the training business why not look at all possibilites to assist your athletes?

I do look at all the possibilities - but I make sure that they have a sound backing in science as opposed to some rehashed idea that supposedly makes you faster for no extra effort...

I know you are in favour of Power tarining but then if you are saying laws of physics cannot be changed why use train to increase Power as most cyclists are doing when you ask them about Power??

Not really sure I understand you here.. but a power meter is simply a tool that measures ouptut. There is no contention that it may or may not do what it says - it just measures. It does not claim to make you a better cyclist or any other exciting stuff, and it certainly does not challenge the laws of physics- it just helps you measure what you are doing, and train more effectively.

There is a very big difference between a power meter, and a device such as Q rings that promises extra performance for no extra effort.

One needs all the marketing hype that you are currently trying to give it - the other doesn't.

BikeMax2007-08-05 14:57:48

No extra effort??... It will be huge effort to convince you to let them a try.

I tried to compare these two bikes: a single speed and a multi-sprocket.

Please could you tell us why you can deliver more power with the second one while the physics remain impassible?... I try this because it is the same concept for the Q-Rings but of course affecting less.

Please tell me if this take on are things wrong:

The effect of Q-rings is as if you switch to lower gears each time in the pedal stroke you are in the dead spot and back to a higher gear when out of the dead spot. Of course this is done smoothly and without switching gears.

Then it gives to 'extra gears' at the correct time. I would say everyone prefer a 10 speed above a singlespeed. Even though you use the same amount of energy to get to point A to point B so will to it in a faster time or with less kilojoules expended.

Does this make sense or did I drink waaaaaaay to much wine the weekend?

The effect of Q-rings is as if you switch to lower gears each time in the pedal stroke you are in the dead spot and back to a higher gear when out of the dead spot. Of course this is done smoothly and without switching gears.

Then it gives to 'extra gears' at the correct time. I would say everyone prefer a 10 speed above a singlespeed. Even though you use the same amount of energy to get to point A to point B so will to it in a faster time or with less kilojoules expended.

The concept is not far off but there are a couple of considerations

a) The Shimano version does exactly that too. The Q-Ring just moves the ring about 15 degrees further round. Is that going to make such a difference to a concept that Shimano dropped because it had no noticeable effect.

b) W.r.t. the 1 speed vs 10 speed argument. This is more like 9.999 vs 10 spd and that is the whole question - does it make enough difference that it is even noticeable??

The concept is not far off but there are a couple of considerations

a) The Shimano version does exactly that too. The Q-Ring just moves the ring about 15 degrees further round. Is that going to make such a difference to a concept that Shimano dropped because it had no noticeable effect.

b) W.r.t. the 1 speed vs 10 speed argument. This is more like 9.999 vs 10 spd and that is the whole question - does it make enough difference that it is even noticeable??

Well thats the big questions that we cant get answered. I have them on my bike and dont care where the difference is because i go faster with them or think that I do. I dont want to ask to many questions, in my opinion the placebo effect is a valuable one. So if it is proved that there is no effect then i will lose that as well!

When i go faster it is nothing short of a miracle so yes, worth it!!!!! But it was a bday pressie so it was an bargain!

ok so is it R1500 for both blades or full crank?

after reading the reviews it sounds like they work, only thing left is to actually try them