Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Don't know how I am going to sleep tonight. Santa is coming earlier than I was anticipating!

You've shown me yours, I'll show you mine!!!

But you'll have to wait a while!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how I am going to sleep tonight. Santa is coming earlier than I was anticipating!

I think u have too offload that Kas Vitus now to make room for this project.

Had a busy couple of weeks.

Thought I'd share some of it with you. Here are 2 of my completed projects, another 2 almost done, wait for a week or so.

My COLNAGO TITANIO (actually a Bititan, but the early ones, 93 to about 95, were called just TITANIO). A mixture between Chorus and CDA.

post-25781-0-07426500-1476100764_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-78577700-1476100776_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-07263300-1476100796_thumb.jpg

A Bianchi. No idea of the model, I think it's a mid 80s Mondiale. I bought the frame restored, so it's very difficult to say, but it's beautiful none the less. A mixture of Record and 1987 Cobalto brakes. I think she's lovely and my daughter agrees!

post-25781-0-03947800-1476101071_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-95304900-1476101087_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-98769500-1476101116_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-76247300-1476101278_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeyYou

Had a busy couple of weeks.

Thought I'd share some of it with you. Here are 2 of my completed projects, another 2 almost done, wait for a week or so.

My COLNAGO TITANIO (actually a Bititan, but the early ones, 93 to about 95, were called just TITANIO). A mixture between Chorus and CDA.

Man . . . that is so beautiful . .  :thumbup:

(I hate you)  :devil:

A Bianchi. No idea of the model, I think it's a mid 80s Mondiale. I bought the frame restored, so it's very difficult to say, but it's beautiful none the less. A mixture of Record and 1987 Cobalto brakes. I think she's lovely and my daughter agrees!

That Bianchi looks too small for you. Pass it my way.

Fantastic Hey You! :thumbup:

Glad to see you finished the Titanio! And the Bianchi is a beaut too!

Edited by DJR

• 2 weeks later...

So there she is, 1976 Raleigh SBDU. Just finished fitting the Campagnolo Record wheels with tubbies and Zeus crankset. Campagnolo Grand Sport pedals. Very light and rides like a dream.attachicon.gifRaleigh.jpg

For those of you that follow this thread religiously, you might remember Eppie (riding Ara at the mo) posting a coupe of threads on this bike.

Well. I acquired it, swopped for an SA frame and goodies, so Eppie could build and ride Ara. Eppie found out some nice info re this frame, but no real history.

Well, things have changed!!!!!

I was stripping the bike yesterday morning, to begin a restoration project, not sure yet, but nevertheless. Stripped off everything, for polishing and cleaning etc. Held the frame upside down and a piece of 'old' paper fell out of the seat tube!

Edited by HeyYou

Anyway, if you decipher it, it says Tony Impey on the top. 

So I contacted Tony and this is what he replied:

Hi Vic,

That was my bike sold it to a guy in the Cape in the eighties.

My Club Johannesburg Cycling Racing Team which was Sponsored by TI Raleigh at the time donated a Raleigh 753  to me.

For being the Club Omnium Champion .

Won 3 SA individual Pursuit Titles on it.

“    SA  20km and record holder 1976 on it.

“    SA  Games  40km Gold Medal on it.

“    SA  Games  4000m IND Pursuit Title on it

Great Memories.

Please send a pic.

Regards

Tony

So now the bike has some real history and thanks to Tony for replying, so real SA history in my hands.

Great find Vic. Eric is going to regret selling it.

Note to self: ALWAYS check tubes for old bits of paper, spiders, rust, dagga and money! Who knows when it will be your lucky day? :whistling:

Edited by DJR

somehow messed this up, herewith the piece of 'old' paper!!!!!!

Hi Vic, that was a great discovery. I tried to find out the history of the frame from Arthur Parsons who I bought it from but I don't think he even knew that it belonged to Tony Impey. No regrets I am glad the bike went to you who will appreciate the history attached. Here is my replacement TI ;) post-51655-0-96637600-1477167813_thumb.jpg