Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

OK, the Alpina looks older. I was basing my comments on the brake levers which would appear to be an "upgrade" to the bike in the mid to late 80's.

I would recommend you search the net to establish and date the older parts of the gruppo to get a more accurate date of the frame. 

Here is a useful resource: http://velobase.com/ViewBrand.aspx?BrandID=b0cbe80a-c06e-4864-a3ab-dac2d4abd9e6&From=T

I also think it's early to mid 80s, I don't think they built Alpinas until the early 80s and this looks like an early one, perhaps built up with older  components!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agree

alero / tourney /brakes look like diacomp / wheels look like bolt on 27,s

early 80"s id say also

SLEWK - are the rubber hoods actually torn ? they look OK for the age

if they are dirty and a little hard and cracking massage them with Q20 oil it will revive the rubber

and those Peugeot levers possibly never had rubber hoods to start with (I stand under correction)

agree

alero / tourney /brakes look like diacomp / wheels look like bolt on 27,s

early 80"s id say also

SLEWK - are the rubber hoods actually torn ? they look OK for the age

if they are dirty and a little hard and cracking massage them with Q20 oil it will revive the rubber

and those Peugeot levers possibly never had rubber hoods to start with (I stand under correction)

bikebloke - the Alpina hoods are fine but only one of the peugeot hoods tore off so will need replacements

i found these on SJS:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-levers/black-diacompe-204-202-non-aero-drop-lever-hoods/

Edited by slewk

This made its way into my garage...:

907451f43ab8ae3f99d2cda13695fbd1.jpg

It's needing some work, but all of the important bits are there. First job is to sort this hack job with something a little safer:

5f2c7a6538c462aeaa85526b786a22ae.jpg

The rear brake set-up is quite interesting, there are 2 brakes, 1 for the stoker!

I have a spare EROICA BRITANNIA musette bag, somehow ended up with 2 of them.

Anyone want it, for free????

lucky you :thumbup:  to get 2

I have a couple of molteni ones and a Brooklyn one

great fun to have for a retro ride (to carry the beer)

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this bicycle, I'm interested in the year mostly as I'm struggling to find much on the internet. It's an old South African made Rudge Sports bicycle manufactured in springs. Front and rear mud guards, [R] light post on the front and a lycett leather saddle, with original Rudge hand symbol crank. I originally wanted to respray it but I think it's actually a really pretty bicycle and just want to get rid of as much rust as possible and then lacquer it.

Any thoughts?

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this bicycle, I'm interested in the year mostly as I'm struggling to find much on the internet. It's an old South African made Rudge Sports bicycle manufactured in springs. Front and rear mud guards, [R] light post on the front and a lycett leather saddle, with original Rudge hand symbol crank. I originally wanted to respray it but I think it's actually a really pretty bicycle and just want to get rid of as much rust as possible and then lacquer it.

Any thoughts?

Hi.

As far as I know Rudge was manufactured at one stage under license by Raleigh in their factory in Springs, same as Humber and Hercules and others (Raleigh had factories in Vereniging and I think Newcastle as well).

Probably mid-sixties - very difficult to accurately date these as Raleigh churned out literally hundreds of thousands of these, which were mainly targeted at the blue collar and miners.

I'll say keep it as original as possible.

Just receive my fully restored Lejeune back from Francois du Toit.

Complete with period correct components (1980 Dura Ace 9-speed group set, Shimano 600 brakes, Cinelli handle bar, Brookes Professional saddle).

Saying I'm happy is an understatement. :)

post-34916-0-08619700-1500965663_thumb.jpg

Edited by JannievanZyl

Just receive my fully restored Lejeune back from Francois du Toit.

Complete with period correct components (1980 Dura Ace 9-speed group set, Shimano 600 brakes, Cinelli handle bar, Brookes Professional saddle).

Saying I'm happy is an understatement. :)

Before:

post-34916-0-18656100-1500967014_thumb.jpg