Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/rebilda/P1030174_zps20a8f736.jpghttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/rebilda/P1030173_zpsa50c3ae4.jpghttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/rebilda/P1030166_zps75efb61c.jpg

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebilda that is a seriously beautiful bike. I love the clean simple lines and white paint work. The best part is the brass saddle rails and handle bar shim blending with the leather saddle and bar tape.

What frame is it?

Thanks "Loose cog"

That frame was custom made for my Father in Law, back in 1949 by a frame builder in Melbourne, Les O'Mara.

Jack (my F.I.L.) rode the bike competitively for 5 or 6 seasons before on selling it.

Back in the early 90s, it came back (I don't know the exact story as to how he got it back), but it was a bit of a wreck by that stage and many of the good components were gone by then.

Jack asked me one Christmas, while we were visiting, if I would like the bike, to restore it.

Of course, I said "yes!"

I was handed the frame & forks, which had been stripped back & sprayed with primer. There was a box full of rusty bits & pieces.... the original pedals & cranks (minus the chainring) most of the BB, the stem & the seatpost, and the headset which had been butchered by someone with a spanner that didn't quite fit.

After a lot of time, researching & chasing parts. Building up a wheel set with the closest I could find to something authentic, and restoring and re-chroming the bits I had, the end result was something I am really proud of

The bike now resides in our lounge room.

Please do take it to the track every now and again for a ride. The bike deserves it!

It is very difficult to identify the frame as lugs were bought in by the builders and you need to be an expert to really tell the difference.

The rear seat stay bridge looks like my 50's Viking.

post-44986-0-14612200-1436852866_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-19189900-1436852928_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-29076800-1436852978_thumb.jpg

Will one be able to compete in a track race today with a bike like this? Or do you need a "new" (read expensive) track bike? 

IMHO yes you can. Weight is not a great issue on the track, especially for shorter distances. I would not advise riding with old steel bars, pedals with toe clips but will replace with newer alu bars and modern clip-in pedals. I would also look at newer lighter wheel set. I will post a pic of my 80's Viner later.

Nice head badge on that Viking!

I tried in vain to get a layout of the branding, originally on that Track frame.

O'mara Cycles are still there, in Melbourne. It's run by Les' Grandson, Jay. He told me that the original frames were hand painted with the "Corsair" logo on the frame. He was going to email me a photo of one he still has somewhere, but I never received it. I even dropped into the shop and spoke to him about it. I figured when I still didn't receive anything after dropping in, I wasn't likely to ever see it.

In any case, I do like the simple white finish - It is actually powder coated.

I've heard/seen pics of Campy now being made in Taiwan/china, perhaps just the low end stuff, the old man at Campy swore it would never happen and now?

I read an article that said the contrary. All the lower end gruppos are made in Romania. It's there way of keeping an eye on quality as regular checks are made as traveling back and forth from Italy is easier. Could you please post a link of article that you read.

Will one be able to compete in a track race today with a bike like this? Or do you need a "new" (read expensive) track bike? 

No need for a new bike, as long as it fits the criteria then you may ride it in the races. No Brakes, No Gears. Helmet. 

With this particular bike you would be able to race it, no problem, quite a few people race old bikes on the track, perhaps not in mint condition, but it fits the criteria and it is safe, then race it. 

This Peugeot Classique hung in someones garage for 14 years collecting dust. Built with Japanese Tange 2 steel.post-51655-0-58190900-1437335978_thumb.jpg The frame is pretty light. According to the "experts" Tange 2 is about the same weight as Columbus SL. The bike has a nice set of classic French CLB brake levers and calipers on.post-51655-0-86833100-1437335996_thumb.jpg. I replaced the rusty wheels and here is the bike after a cleanup.post-51655-0-60110600-1437335806_thumb.jpg

I read an article that said the contrary. All the lower end gruppos are made in Romania. It's there way of keeping an eye on quality as regular checks are made as traveling back and forth from Italy is easier. Could you please post a link of article that you read.

There are definitely some items being made in Taiwan, says so right on the box. So far I've only seen brake calliper boxes with made in Taiwan, and read somewhere that Tektro might be making some of their callipers. Oh, and wheels are also being made in Taiwan.

Hi. Can anyone help me with this? Looks fairly original, is it rare, worth something?

Thanks

post-57300-0-52224500-1437408530_thumb.jpg

Hi. Can anyone help me with this? Looks fairly original, is it rare, worth something?

Thanks

That is a South African make bike built by Gotty Hansen. There are still quite a few of these Hansom's around. I own one in a brown colour. You are right that one looks pretty original.

That is a South African make bike built by Gotty Hansen. There are still quite a few of these Hansom's around. I own one in a brown colour. You are right that one looks pretty original.

The frame that is in terms of the original setup. The gearing has clearly been changed. What is the parts setup on the bike?

The frame that is in terms of the original setup. The gearing has clearly been changed. What is the parts setup on the bike?

Thanks for replying Eppie. I didn't get that good a look, pulled the guy off next to a very busy road, had a few quick words and exchanged phone numbers.

It has a Campagnolo Mirage 8 or 9 on Wolber rims- looked original as well...