Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Hi,

A shot in the dark, but I'm looking for a front or rear rack for an old steel frame that I'd like to do some light touring with. The frame has eyelets on the front and rear for compatibility with some rack mounts, and I'm sure there must be some old, unused racks floating around, but haven't had any luck yet sourcing one yet.

Cheers!

How about this one, it's certainly retro ........

post-44986-0-68690000-1444816799_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

A shot in the dark, but I'm looking for a front or rear rack for an old steel frame that I'd like to do some light touring with. The frame has eyelets on the front and rear for compatibility with some rack mounts, and I'm sure there must be some old, unused racks floating around, but haven't had any luck yet sourcing one yet.

Cheers!

attachicon.gifDSCF0536.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0535.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0533.JPG

Go passed sprocket and jack in parkwood... I know Grant had some PDW racks at a stage... 

It doesn't have to be an old one, but the only new one I can find locally is the Thule Pack 'n Pedal, which has a very 'plastic' look -  I guess the preference is towards a more traditional look - the Bruce Gordon as a high-end example: http://www.bgcycles.com/new-page-14/. Otherwise JANDD and Topeak seem to make some affordable racks, might try to order one of those if I don't have any luck finding something locally.

Grant at Cycletouring has some nice racks - front and rear....http://www.cycletouring.co.za/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_11

And Buycycle have the Topeak ones....http://www.buycycle.co.za/en/accessories/on-the-bike/carriers.html

Thanks for all the links and suggestions.

I managed to salvage two rear racks from the scrap metal bin at Whippet Cycles.

A few new bolts and bungee straps and it should be good to go.

@Loose cog - not as much rust as your suggestion, but it'll do for now :)

post-74567-0-96933000-1444831232_thumb.jpg

I see you having a problem mounting your water bottle. Dont you have the holes in the frame?

I see you having a problem mounting your water bottle. Dont you have the holes in the frame?

U get these 

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/zefal/gizmo-universal-bottle-cage-attachment-ec038010

Not sure who will stock them locally though

The frame only has space to mount a single bottle cage on the down tube. Thanks, I've been looking for some of those universal attachments, haven't seen any locally. The electric tape technique has been working well, but doesn't look great.

Edited by danfuterman

Cable ties work a treat and don't look nearly as clunky!!!!

OK, so I'm a bit left brain challenged, that's why I need your help!

White, black or yellow cable housing for the Tommo???????

My taste runs to white, but maybe that's too bland.

Appreciate suggestions.

navy blue?

superb frame. 

Edited by HeartCoppi

The frame only has space to mount a single bottle cage on the down tube. Thanks, I've been looking for some of those universal attachments, haven't seen any locally. The electric tape technique has been working well, but doesn't look great.

Best option is to do the job properly with rivnuts, and then it'll be as good as if the frame had them originally

You're teasing us. Pics of the full bike please. :)

Hi Guys & Girls

I am looking to buy a Cinelli head badge like this but don't want to import if I don't have to. Willing to pay big time. Anyone have anything or know someone who does?

post-44986-0-47465100-1444909759_thumb.png

With a new set of Schwalbe 700X28's on, and loaded up for a quick camping trip to Magaliesburg this weekend.

Nice setup ;)