Steyn tests positive

splat

Apologies if this has been posted already 

(posted in wrong forum Embarrassed)

Article By: Staff Reporter - http://sport.iafrica.com/news/1857200.htm

Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:53

Proteas fast bowler Dale Steyn tested positive for a banned substance during the Indian Premier League (IPL), Cricket South Africa (CSA) confirmed on Tuesday.

Steyn, the world's number one fast bowler, was injured for the bulk of the IPL and only featured in three games for the Bangalore Royal Challengers. A urine sample taken from the SA star during the tournament indicated an excessive level of morphine.

But CSA chief executive, Gerald Majola, indicated that the morphine levels ? Steyn was tested at 1.3 microgram per millimetre, which is only slightly over the allowed level of 1.0. ? can be attributed to the painkillers he was taking for a thumb injury.

"We are aware of the result and submitted a report immediately to the IPL on why this has happened," Gerald Majola, CSA's chief executive told Cricinfo.

"There was a marginal increase in the presence of morphine in the sample and that was due to painkillers he took during that period. We are awaiting a reply from the IPL authorities."

CSA, meanwhile, is confident no action will be taken against Steyn.
splat2009-08-11 03:21:39

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this doesnt get to much Media attension, I meen Its pretty obvious he was trying to recover/get over Injury (his ways were questionable) but I meen its not like he was taking "performance enhancing drugs" or would morphene be one? If anything I would think It might make him bat worse..

To think.....

Somewhere on the interwebs there will be a cricket forum having a muur of a fight about this dude........ClapClapClapClapClapClap

BAN HIM FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, sy ouma het die pille vir hom gegee, gese dit sal die pyn beter maak, hoe moet hy weet wat is daarin...

I've got a terrible cough that just does not want to go away. I'me gonna drink half a bottle of cough syrup everyday untill it is gone. Hope I do not get tested after Sunday's race.

I hope this doesnt get to much Media attension' date=' I meen Its pretty obvious he was trying to recover/get over Injury (his ways were questionable) but I meen its not like he was taking "performance enhancing drugs" or would morphene be one? If anything I would think It might make him bat worse..

[/quote']

I agree...its a storm in a tea cup....not even worth discussing Dead 

and if memory serves me right, he also suffers from sinusitus...and I know how many myprodols you need for those migraines DeadDead you just do what you have to do to make the pain go away...trust me !!

I hope this doesnt get to much Media attension' date=' I meen Its pretty obvious he was trying to recover/get over Injury (his ways were questionable) but I meen its not like he was taking "performance enhancing drugs" or would morphene be one? If anything I would think It might make him bat worse..

?[/quote']

?

I agree...its a storm in a tea cup....not even worth discussing Dead?

?

and if memory serves me right, he also suffers from sinusitus...and I know how many myprodols you need for those migraines DeadDead?you just do what you have to do to make the pain go away...trust me !!

Mmm - I say if you're not 100% fit/healthy - you shouldn't play! And that goes for any sport!!

Guest colonel

Im really surprised to read what he tested positive from I thought he, along with the remaining cricket team would be positive on cream pies and donuts....

[/quote']

and if memory serves me right, he also suffers from sinusitus...and I know how many myprodols you need for those migraines DeadDead you just do what you have to do to make the pain go away...trust me !!

Mmm - I say if you're not 100% fit/healthy - you shouldn't play! And that goes for any sport!!

You and I would....... but you know how much $$$$$ were at stake at the IPL....I guess none of us would have said no to that Wink

Im really surprised to read what he tested positive from I thought he' date=' along with the remaining cricket team would be positive on cream pies and donuts.... [/quote']

Not to mention serious alcohol consumption

and if memory serves me right' date=' he also suffers from sinusitus...and I know how many myprodols you need for those migraines DeadDead you just do what you have to do to make the pain go away...trust me !!
[/quote']

Sorry PI......BAD argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Angry

Like with SOOOOOO other doping threads here.....if you are sick and have to take medicine that is not allowed, STEP OUT OF THE SPORT AND GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are NOT allowed to cheat.  Period.

This looser wanted to get 'better' faster than your honorable sportsman will be able to, taking "WADA approved" medicine.

No shortcuts allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He gets paid millions and should be able to read or hire someone to read for him what he can take and what not.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, yes?

There are cough medicine that would clear my chest in NO TIME.....but I am not allowed to take it and up till now am battling a week long with this damn flu!  Angry

BAN HIM FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and if memory serves me right' date=' he also suffers from sinusitus...and I know how many myprodols you need for those migraines DeadDead you just do what you have to do to make the pain go away...trust me !!
[/quote']

Sorry PI......BAD argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Angry

Like with SOOOOOO other doping threads here.....if you are sick and have to take medicine that is not allowed, STEP OUT OF THE SPORT AND GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are NOT allowed to cheat.  Period.

This looser wanted to get 'better' faster than your honorable sportsman will be able to, taking "WADA approved" medicine.

No shortcuts allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He gets paid millions and should be able to read or hire someone to read for him what he can take and what not.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, yes?

There are cough medicine that would clear my chest in NO TIME.....but I am not allowed to take it and up till now am battling a week long with this damn flu!  Angry

BAN HIM FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and surely they would advise the authorities or get an exemption for certain painkillers. wasn't smith doped to the gills when we played the aussies?

wasn't smith doped to the gills when we played the aussies?

KFC is not on WADAs list of banned substances.

Wtf? All he needs to do is run and throw his ball at some guy with a stick. Since when do you need pills to do that?