The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

Guest Omega Man

Hey Boys.

Got back from riding in France on Friday afternoon.

It was INCREDIBLE. The riding there is simply on another plane. The first 1/2 of the first track I rode was better than all of the tracks I've ridden here put together. Forget Whistler. There's more riding in the Portes Du Soleil region than you will be able to ride in 3 weeks. And it's a 3rd of the price.

We were based in Morzine but did most of our riding in Les Gets. We did 2 days in Chatel. One of them took in day 1 of the Chatel Mountain Style. and let me tell you. The pictures do no justice as to exactly how massive the jumps and drops are.

Vince, Nic and myself went to Morgins in Switzerland for a day. That was pretty sick too. The only issue was getting there and back. It's about 40km of ski lift and country road to get there.

Make a plan. sell your kidney but get there. It's not even that expensive. The only really expensive things are bars, restaurants and labor in the bike shops. The rest is ridiculously cheap.

Flight. R8000

Lift Pass.13 day R1400

Accom. R2200

Airport Transfers. R600

Food etc. 30 euros a day. R4800

R17000.

That's 17k all in for the best trip of your life. GO.

Some Do's

Do. Go Emarites. The flights are cheap and the baggage limits are 30kg. Oh and you don't get off at JHB.

Do. A lot of exploring. There are loads of unmarked tracks.

Do. Spring the cash for a night of Fondue. But got easy on the beers. they are expensive.

Do. Go with a few mates. It makes the accommodation cheaper and you will share your stoke.

Do. Go for a few walks around town. The whole place is beautiful and has such a cool vibe about it.

Do. Take a mate who can speak a bit of French. Nic's broken french was a life saver on more than one occasion.

Do. Go early in the season. The tracks are not well maintained so if you go late in the season the brake bumps will be deep. real deep.

Do. Train before you go. And by that I mean your hands and arms. Our legs were fine. Our hands took a beating.

Do. Pace yourself.

Do. Take at least one spare set of brake pads. You will go through a set quickly and they are kaaak expensive there.

Some dont's.

Don't. Go to Bar Robinson. The beer is laced with a weaponized hallucinogenic. You have been warned.

Don't. Book your bike through if you have a connecting flight out of JHB. Nic and I did that and our bikes arrived 2 days late. On that. I rented a GT ruckus and a Fury. The ruckus was sweet. The fury sucked.

Don't. Judge a book by it's cover. We saw MANY guys with the hottest latest kit riding SSLLOOOOWW. And then there were kids on hard tails busting all the gaps and going fast.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

post-18968-0-58915900-1310371715.jpg

Chatel Mountain Style

post-18968-0-34092600-1310371791.jpg

Bearclaw about to drop in.

post-18968-0-19945700-1310371885.jpg

Nic, Roman, Dan cooling off at the bottom of Les Gets. Note the track in the background.

post-18968-0-62045300-1310372034.jpg

Some Les Gets sweetness.

post-18968-0-62045300-1310372034.jpg

Pic taken from the top of Pleney. You can see the Green and Black routes snaking down the hill.

post-18968-0-78413700-1310372149.jpg

Edited by Omega Man

"Don't. Judge a book by it's cover. We saw MANY guys with the hottest latest kit riding SSLLOOOOWW."

Funny! Just yesterday we discussed this strange phenomenon.. it's called "iDownhill"

Guest Omega Man

Who followed Bear? Vince?

We all kind of mixed and matched. One some days I rode with Vince on others he rode with the youngsters and I rode with Nic and JP. Trying to keep our group together (9 dudes) all the time proved impossible. One dude is thirsty. another dude is pinning it today while 3 of us are suffering with major arm and hand pump. etc etc. We always seemed to ride in pairs or small groups.

People would also focus on their favorites. I loved the Les Gets Main line. Nic fell in love with the 2004 World Champs track on the other side of Les Gets and some of the other dudes turned into Pleney Pinners.

Guest Omega Man

"Don't. Judge a book by it's cover. We saw MANY guys with the hottest latest kit riding SSLLOOOOWW."

Funny! Just yesterday we discussed this strange phenomenon.. it's called "iDownhill"

The term we came up with was screecher. Cos their brakes were screeeeeching. Of course I am a bit of a screecher given the right set of circumstances.

I echo PorS's sentiments here... It was actually funny at times. Cringingly funny, but funny nonetheless.

ah man.. you want an apology from me, don't you.. ;)

The term we came up with was screecher. Cos their brakes were screeeeeching. Of course I am a bit of a screecher given the right set of circumstances.

HA HA, were you in on the conversation?? Cpt, did that not start the chat, the brake noise.. ?? ah man, it just went downhill from there!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well heres my "new" baby.

2001 Schwinn straight 8.

With 2001 Boxxer 7" fork and Fox Vanilla RC rear shock.

Think i need to service the suspension, but will take it for a spin and see whats what.

Also need a new seat the one on is massive! Might get a cheap Giant Fade BMX seat in white :)

post-9789-0-07202500-1313149440.jpg

Edited by loveme.DH/FR

haha Nigel... Yeah I know. Been reading alot about The schwinn Straight 8 / Yeti DH9. (both were almost identical and shared the same manual)

Apparently the design by Mert Lawwill is one of the best designs on a bike with lots of direct stable travell and very little peddle bob. Theres quite a huge following for these bikes internationaly.

Im super amped to get the bike 100% sorted and out on the trail.

Also keen to get the bike re-sprayed. thinking Grey and lime green. With matching forks and lime green grips :)

Also,

Capricorn - When last you been to the Signal Hill track? I see the fire has cleared most of the bush, should make it easier to build new trails. Always wanted somthing that zig-zags down the slope with a few nice berms etc... Instead of the straight shoot between the trees...

Has there been any further development since last year?