Training Question

I have a fitness related question (possibly a silly question)

Here is the scenario. (let exclude weekend rides - lets base this on a monday to friday)

What will make a person stronger. two x two hour sessions a week at 75-90 percent pace,(I am totally stuffed after wards) or four x two hour session, but slightly easier, with a few 90 percent efforts. (I am still tired after wards, but I am not completely shot)

personal experience - do 3 easy sessions, and one all out. You need to have that high-end, all out interval type session in order to stretch yourself as well as to increase strength over what you can currently do. Plus, if you don't stretch yourself, you'll never get to a level above what you think you can do.

if that makes any sense at all...

cptmayhem2009-08-25 11:55:58

of your options the first one is the best for sure.  but try one day 4x 10-15 minute intervals@80~90% (3-5 minutes rest between) then rest day or 2 and then 6x3 minute intervals @above 90% of mhr (3 minutes rest).  That should sort you out!

I have a fitness related question (possibly a silly question)

Here is the scenario. (let exclude weekend rides - lets base this on a monday to friday)

What will make a person stronger. two x two hour sessions a week at 75-90 percent pace' date='(I am totally stuffed after wards) or four x two hour session, but slightly easier, with a few 90 percent efforts. (I am still tired after wards, but I am not completely shot)

[/quote']

Try one of Joe Friel's training bibles, they really explain in detail the what, where, when and how to.  

2hrs @ 90%?

can i come watch?

nee man, hy se mos tussen 75% en 90%.  Dus tussen 150 en 180.  Dit is maar net 'n gewone ride.  Jy ry nooit onder 80% nie!

One word' date=' "Tabata"!!!

Problem solved. Good luck.
[/quote']

one word.

eina

but yeah. those will help

of your options the first one is the best for sure.  but try one day 4x 10-15 minute intervals@80~90% (3-5 minutes rest between) then rest day or 2 and then 6x3 minute intervals @above 90% of mhr (3 minutes rest).  That should sort you out!

So your saying rather stick to the less hours, but higher intensity??

So your saying rather stick to the less hours' date=' but higher intensity??

[/quote']

without a doubt. I do not have the worlds talent but try to train as intelligently as possible.  Average hours the 8 weeks before 2007 argus wat 5.5h.  But rode sub3 out of F.  Longest week was 8h17 and longest ride was 3h19 (CdC 99).  But it was moerse intensity and intervals.

I use Joe Friels Training bible, it works for me as he really stresses on rest! I like that. 

In my 4 years i have only once spend more than 10 hours on a bike during the week.  I am not close to pro but can handle my bike well enough.

those look familiar, but unless you are a sprinter, you may rather want to do 4x10-15m @ 70-80(aerobic stamina), and 6 x 3min @80-909(lactate tolerance). And that will be according to the heart rate reserve calcs. Then you won't feel tired, and are ready for more.

those look familiar' date=' but unless you are a sprinter, you may rather want to do 4x10-15m @ 70-80(aerobic stamina), and 6 x 3min @80-909(lactate tolerance). And that will be according to the heart rate reserve calcs. Then you won't feel tired, and are ready for more.
[/quote']

jip, sounds better. Best is to have lactic threshold tested. my % were just guestimates.

get the book at

http://www.take2.co.za/books-the-cyclists-training-bible-paperback-3978124.html

or kalahari