NCR - Boks returning from NZ

Trubie

burry - u23 world champion (world cup was last year's title)

greg - missed world champ by 0.0not much , but been there before

press coverage...almost zero. How many world class individual sportsmen do we have in the country. Take away golf and it require some headscratching. I even start missing wayne 'bacon/mayo/tomato' ferreira.

The only way our cyclists will make it into mainstream public eye:

olympic medals

tour de france GC victory

I hope I'm wrong, because Burry should be up there with Ernie and the superstars. He shouldn't need to wipe Absolon et al all over the course on one day in london in 2012 to get there.

greg - missed world champ by 0.0not much ' date=' but been there before

press coverage...almost zero. How many world class individual sportsmen do we have in the country. Take away golf and it require some headscratching. I even start missing wayne 'bacon/mayo/tomato' ferreira.

olympic medals

I hope I'm wrong, because Burry should be up there with Ernie and the superstars. He shouldn't need to wipe Absolon et al all over the course on one day in london in 2012 to get there.
[/quote']

See even cyclists are behind the news!  He won a World Cup EVENT yesterday beating the great Absolon into second place and WORLD CHAMP Naef into third.  To me that's bigger than under-23 WC.

You cannot even call it a race thing. What about our esteemed BMX protagonist who is currently recuperating from a broken neck? Did he receive press/media coverage other than Souper Sukkeling?

I think we need to be a little fair here. We are not one of the major sporting codes if comparing to rugby, football or athletics.

Athletics is so popular that this weekends debacle with Pistorius being locked up even made Sky News.
Gasping2009-09-14 03:05:00

greg - missed world champ by 0.0not much ' date=' but been there before

olympic medals

[/quote']

See even cyclists are behind the news!  He won a World Cup EVENT yesterday beating the great Absolon into second place and WORLD CHAMP Naef into third.  To me that's bigger than under-23 WC.

my bad...that's awesome, not sure why it's not the biggest thread today then. lets go there and bump it up

oh, isn't Schurter world champ, or am i missing somethingshebeen2009-09-14 02:25:53

Well Burry made the Swiss news

Akt. 13.09.09; 18:54 Pub. 13.09.09; 18:51

Mountain Bike

Erster Weltcupsieg von Stander

Der U23-Weltmeister Burry Stander (USA) hat in Champ?ry seinen ersten Weltcupsieg seiner Karriere gefeiert.

Der S?dafrikaner fuhr in der letzten Runde an Julien Absalon vorbei und verwies den Franzosen auf den zweiten Platz. Der Thurgauer Ralph N?f, der wegen einer Verletzung auf die Teilnahme an der WM in Canberra (Au) verzichtet hatte, wurde Dritter. Mit Lukas Fl?ckiger (4.), Mathias Fl?ckiger (5.) und Christoph Sauser (10.) fuhren drei weitere Schweizer in die Top Ten.

Weltmeister Nino Schurter hatte zu keiner Zeit etwas mit dem Ausgang des Rennens zu tun. Er beendete das Rennen mit einem R?ckstand von 6:41 Minuten als 26.

Champ?ry. MTB-Weltcup. Cross-Country. M?nner: 1. Burry Stander (SA) 1:41:06. 2. Julien Absalon (Fr) 0:15. 3. Ralph N?f (Sz) 0:24. 4. Lukas Fl?ckiger (Sz) 0:28. 5. Mathias Fl?ckiger (Sz) 0:41. - Ferner: 10. Christoph Sauser (Sz) 2:49.

In Google Engleesh

Update 13.09.09, 18:54 Pub. 13.09.09, 18:51

Mountain Bike

First World Cup victory by Stander

The U23 world champion Burry Stander (USA) celebrated his first World Cup victory in Champ?ry his career.

The South African drove past Shocked on the final lap of the Frenchman Julien Absalon and referred to the second spot. The Thurgau Ralph Naef, who had resigned because of an injury to participate in the World Championships in Canberra (Aus), was third. With Lukas Fl?ckiger (4.), Mathias Fl?ckiger (5.) and Christoph Sauser (10.) drove three other Swiss in the top ten.

World Champion Nino Schurter had no time to do something with the outcome of the race. He finished the race with a gap of 6:41 minutes in 26th place

Champ?ry. MTB World Cup. Cross-Country. Men: 1 Burry Stander (SA) 1:41:06. 2. Julien Absalon (Fri) 0:15. 3. Ralph Naef (Swi) 0:24. 4. Lukas Fl?ckiger (Swi) 0:28. 5. Mathias Fl?ckiger (Swi) 0:41. - Also: 10 Christoph Sauser (SUI) 2:49.

I am guessing that Mr Stander is from the Bloem area - how else could these knobs confuse USA with the Free States?

I am guessing that Mr Stander is from the Bloem area - how else could these knobs confuse USA with the Free States?

Hmm did not see that USA part...

Think Burry is Sheppie botjie - Port Shepstone, Kwa Zulu Natal, not Dorp Sheepstad, Vrystaaaat Big%20smile