MTB disc brake noise (cure?)

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I am hijacking this thread and I am bring up the my case.

Can someone tell me why and then how do I stop the squeeling on my discs. They only do so when I travel between 27km/h-35km/h. The rest of the time there is no sound.

Sorry, just interested to hear some opinions.

don't go over 27kph

That easy for you to say. I ride my bikes, not play with them. Wink

Just 'confiscated' a few isopropyl alcohol wipes from one of the ladies that works for me! She says she uses them to clean her glasses, like can that be more important than me cleaning my rotors with them tonight? Nah, didn't think so!

Thanks for the ideas guys, think I'm first gonna tighten, check alignment etc. then clean the rotors and give the pads all a lekker 'roughing' up. Only the ones that are moaning of course! Don't wanna disturb those quiet ones in the front!

don't go over 27kph

That easy for you to say. I ride my bikes' date=' not play with them. Wink

[/quote']

In that case don't go under 35kph....?

don't go over 27kph

don't go under 35kph...   Wink

aw dammit...

You get the picture....
RodTi2007-05-17 07:37:12

don't go over 27kph

That easy for you to say. I ride my bikes' date=' not play with them. Wink

[/quote']

In that case don't go under 35kph....?

I don't but I don't like the squeeky 3 seconds I spend in that window on my way to 40km/h.

BB I had a similar vibration (as opposed to squeal) problem. It turned out that the brake caliper was sitting a little too close toward  the hub side of the rotor and as a result the pads, instead of just touching the braking area on the rotor were also touching the spokes that join the braking area to the hub.

A thin spacer solved the problem.

I could post a picture if that is as clear as mud.

Make sure the pad does not touch the part in the red square as the wheel rotates. It causes a wierd high frequency vibration that changes frequency as your speed decreases.

20070517_090148_8890.jpg

The pad, when the brakes are applied.

If the caliper touches you have bigger problems than vibration.Big%20smile

I've searched the ends of the earth to solve the same problem with my Juicy 5's..squeeling, causing bike-vibration - it took all the pleasure out of mtb'ing and my "supposed to be" high end carbon Giant - 1000 visits to what I consider to be the best bike shop and techie dude, who fixed it every time, just to"voluntarily" revert back to the same problem without notice - I could not take it any more.

After the Breede Rivier race I dumped it at W.E. bike shop! Now it's got XT brakes - all I can say, I finally found a cause in life, a reason to live, and it's not world peace - it is to rid the earth of Juicy brakes, and supply every peace force with a load of XT brakes to hand out to those who do no have it! 

No more squeeling brakes!!!!!!! XT rocks!! The ONLY solution!

• 2 weeks later...

OK so here's what I done so far :-

On my HT (Magura Julies), just cleaned the rotors with isopropyl alcohol. Noise 90% gone! Like riding a new bike and haven't yet, baked, burnt or anything the pads (they are still pretty good).

On my FS (Juicy 7's), new pads (the old were pretty near to shot) and cleaned the rotors with isopropyl alcohol. Squeeling gone, now just that that Avid sound like a turkey but nowhere near as irritating as the noise before!

Lots happier, my wife has threatened me with all sorts if I even think of baking any kind of foreign objects in our new fancy digitally controlled convection oven! Will need to ask a friendly hubber if it comes to that!