Rietvlei the right choice?

thehermanator

To you guys that have ridden the Rietvlei route.....It'll be my 9th 24-Hour so I really cant wait - Logwood was still the best 24-Hour venue and route.  In 2004 Noah's flood struck us - the wooden bridge over the wall was a challenge but I really remember Terry Spinman sliding down the dropoff without his bike - he let it find it's own way down - this at 2am - man we were laughing like we were drunk - good memories from all the 24 Hours.  Dimitri and his gang put on a great show every year.

HOWEVER - I've heard some concern about the technicality of the course - we're thinking of entering a ladies team - clueless from a MTB perspective but reasonably OK as roadies - will they cope?  I want to encourage enthusiasm for MTB'ing - not scare them off.

To you guys that have ridden the Rietvlei route.....It'll be my 9th 24-Hour so I really cant wait - Logwood was still the best 24-Hour venue and route.? In 2004 Noah's flood struck us - the wooden bridge over the wall was a challenge but I really remember Terry Spinman sliding down the dropoff without his bike - he let it find it's own way down - this at 2am - man we were laughing like we were drunk - good memories from all the 24 Hours.? Dimitri and his gang put on a great show every year.

?

HOWEVER - I've heard some concern about the technicality of the course - we're thinking of entering a ladies team -?clueless from a MTB perspective but reasonably OK as roadies - will they cope?? I want to encourage enthusiasm for MTB'ing - not scare them off.

Logwood would never work anymore, fences everywhere! Besides I reckon that course was boring and I doubt it would ever accomodate such a big 24 hour these days!

I never suggested going back to Logwood - I agree that it cannot host it anymore - but it was fun while it lasted.  My question is a concern over rumours of a very technical course at Rietvlei and it's suitability for novice MTB'ers.

It's not very technical. We rode almost all of the route a few weeks back and it was great. Only concern is cheaters and maybe a few backed up spots on the single track. A lot of single track so don't know how overtaking friendly the course will be. And yes BB smiley1.gif there are the wider sections but they seemed to be on one side of the course....

I never suggested going back to Logwood - I agree that it cannot host it anymore - but it was fun while it lasted.? My question is a concern over rumours of a very technical course at Rietvlei and it's suitability for novice MTB'ers.

No sure, I know you were not suggesting that, I just personally didn't like the venue, too much sand road. I have ridden the new route, yes it's more technical, but honestly, it's an MTB route. If you can't ride this route, you should take up road cycling. I love the new route, it's soo much fun!?

Cactus, I rode it the first time I was on my mtb and had no real issues...so think it should be okay. will have some muddy sections though the way the rain is going!!

If they are go-getters they'll be fine. If they total chickens they won't like it!!

I suggest you go check out/ride the route in the last week of November......they should have kinda finalised the route by then.  Entries close on 1st Dec, so then you can make a decision.  My input - enter the event and take it as it comes and have some fun.Thumbs%20Up

jislaaik, you guatingers winge alot. just ride your bikes.

its the off ramp on the right, right ?

You okes are right...

les Alpinistes are entered with 2 girls in the team (the term girl doesn't include our lesser experienced male riders). One of which is very novice. Time for wondering whether or not to enter is over. Now's the time to start figuring out how to put the team on the track after dark!

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Rietvlei is accessible 7 days a week. If you are concerned, go ride there, today if you want.

I don't know why everybody is so concerned about how technical it is. Us SA mountainbikers are sissies and many can't ride over a pavement even. It's mountain biking, it's suppose to be technical and challenging.

When I just started riding, some of the most technical courses were thrown at me... (Woodridge XC Nationals 2005 in PE for example) if it scares you, get off and walk... else TRY to ride it and be prepared to bail if you suddenly can't make it...

My concern for the 24hr is passing space and too many ppl on a short course... it's a 24hr, it's supposed to be tough... there should be technical sections, but also enough fast stretches...

Here's a nice example of what I'm talking about... in 24hrs of Moab, even the pro's get off... but there's also long fast sections...

Have fun!

My concern for the 24hr is passing space and too many ppl on a short course........ but also enough fast stretches...

Here I can concur, the course needs to have FLOW.

I have been doing 24 hour races for quite some time now, if they get the flow right at Rietvlei it will be a good race, it's not the technical aspect, it's the flow.

I just saw that USN is the official supplier for the drinks station...

I'll just have to take my own preferred energy drinks along.   

I just saw that USN is the official supplier for the drinks station...
I'll just have to take my own preferred energy drinks along.   

USN Naartjie flavour is the worst. Never again.Thumbs%20Down