How to Lighten my bike?

biscuit

weight weenies on a budget Smile

go singlespeed, ha ha, i know but before you laugh it makes more sense to me than thinking that a 9kg bike is heavy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Work it out weight for weight between those and your ksyriums... Seriously though, the Force will give you the best bang for your buck out a top end grouppo so focus on that first. Wheels though look at easton ec90 aero. They are great and super light. Wont lie not a Campag fan so don't know much about their product

Budget 10K max, and EC90's get a mention........already we are off topic..

SRAM Force 2010 is a superb buy but Sram Rival is the best value for

moeny in their range and comes in around 220 heavier than Force. it

will set you back around R6000 from Icycling or Willemse.

Then the wheels. Ditch the Ksyriums and opt for a set of easton EA90SL

2008 models which can be had for around R5500 if yo shop around. That

will lose you around a kilo off your current set up.

Or you can buy my 2007 Giant TCR Advanced Team frame for R12000. In awesome condition.

Look at saving weight where it rotates. The further from the relevant axle, the greater the benefit for even small weight reductions.

Light wheels, especially wheels with light rims will make the bike feel much more lively.

Believe it or not, light tyres will also make a difference, especially if you are currently riding heavy tyres. Hard to tell what you are rolling, but Conti Attack/Force are pretty good in my experience. Bear in mind that the couple of seconds that you gain from light tyres pales to insignificance against the several minutes you will lose if they are not at least reasonably puncture-resistant.

James

Put the following on:

1) KCNC Scandium seatpost (Lightest on the market. I dropped about 180g compared to my  FSA SLK seatpost)

2) ITM Bianco bars and stem (very light and STRONG)

3) Spez Toupe team saddle

4) Look Keo sprint pedals (about 135 grams each - best buy in the Keo range when considering price vs weight)

5) Lightweight tyres and tubes (for racing - don't need lightweight stuff for training. I use Conti GP4000 foldable tyres. They are a good weight and relatively robust. they don't cut too easy.)

6) Easton EA90 Aero rims (weigh in at 1450g for the set - anything lighter and you will need big bucks!!!!!. PS I don't know what the Mavics weigh)

With these upgrades you could lose a huge chunck of weight and still stay in budget.

As mentioned earlier, sell off the old stuff and recoupe some of your money, and then you could start upgrading the gruppo

Speed Devil2009-11-30 12:48:11

Agreed with the seat post! The KCNC stuff is tit! The Ec90 Aero wheels are also great! A good mix between light weight and aero. They'll save you around 120g over the mavics! Big%20smile

Agreed with the seat post! The KCNC stuff is tit! The Ec90 Aero wheels are also great! A good mix between light weight and aero. They'll save you around 120g over the mavics! Big%20smile

Just stay away from the KCNC bars and stem. I heard they have a lot of flex. Rather sacrifice weight for stiffness in the cockpit. You will appreciate it when you standing on the hills or in a sprint.

When I got my new bike I wanted a set of stiff AND lightwieght bars. I was told to rather go for the ITM bar and stem as I was stiffer and not too heavy. In hindsight I'm glad I rather glad that I went the ITM route.

You could also look at a set of lightweight skewers...Maybe KCNC? They will also shave a few grams off.
Speed Devil2009-11-30 12:55:56

Unless your saddle/bars/stem are made of solid granite, don't spend money on swapping them out. Making your bike light so you can tell the guy who just beat you how light your bike is, is a waste of time and money.

Tyres, wheels, pedals and cranks (in that order) should be your priorities.

Unless this all just a wnak-fest so you can brag about your candy-ass super-light bike....in which case, fill your boots!

James

As a start, give a detailed list of your current components and figure out what their weights are.

If you're prepared to extend your timeframe a bit, then you can save a lot of money by waiting for good second hand deals to pop up in the For Sale section.

Eat less, poo more, keep the 10k in the bank for later. Think about what you really want to achieve. Are you going to a bike race or a cock fight?

Look at saving weight where it rotates. The further from the relevant axle' date=' the greater the benefit for even small weight reductions.

Light wheels, especially wheels with light rims will make the bike feel much more lively.

bla bla bla bla cut cut cut.

James[/quote']

Not this old wife's tale again! If you do the math you'll discover that you're just perpetuating an old myth. Stop it.

On a bike, weight is weight, whether it rotates, vibrates or gyrates.

OK Johan, I'll bite.

Show us "the math" that proves that to be an old wives' tale.

I'm no physicist, but as far as I am aware there is such a thing as rotational inertia. But I'd be happy to learn otherwise.

James

James, it has been done here ad infinitum.   This topic comes up at least twice a year and each time produces a huge barney.

Do a search.  You won't be disappointed.