How to Lighten my bike?

biscuit

Easiest way to lighten any bike is to take the wheels off... HAHA just my 2c.

As I tell all my clients, unless you're prepared to go big and dish out the cash then don't bother.

Strong, Light, Cheap pick two

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eldron' date=' what about spending R400 plus on a carbon bottle cage just to save 10gr.[/quote']

I go back to my point 'wear just one sock' 400 ZA Ronds saved .... Wink

Eldron's weight saving tip of the day:

Drill a hole in your water bottle - the savings can range from 500g for one small bottle right through to 1,500kg for two big bottles!!!!!

And it's free!!!!!!!!

And you save another 0.0000003g - weigh the plastic shavings from the drill for a more accurate weight....

Man weight weenies are dof. Unless of course they're doing it for bling/pimp/look at me effect. I can easily dehydrate whilst salivating on the latest carbon/ti bling bits. Beautiful as they are - I'll just never own them.

i agree with the getting stonger story, you are like 70kg's - maybe spend some time on squats,

i saw this dude on a Merida team mtb + kit (with merida socks nogal looked cool) - he is pretty big (not in the way that i am pretty big), and he absolutely flew up the hills at magik. Save the 10k and kick some weights around.

We'll see who's a "weenie" when I fly past you up the next hill.......

Pffffff let's hope you aren't any of the Radford's that road the 94.7 cos if you are then your mouth is writing cheques your legs can't cash!

Gotta love the internet - info is power he he he.

Eldron' date=' what was your time?

If a sub 3, I'll respect???
[/quote']

I did a 2h37 but that wasn't really my focus - I'm a mountain bike rider so Saturday was more my style. 12th overall in that one.

This looks like some of the best advice here for me:

Put the following on:

1) KCNC Scandium seat post  Seat post is a must!!

2) ITM Bianco bars and stem (very light and STRONG) Look around...there are a lot of cheap alu bars that are quite light.  Get your steerer tube the right lenght.....that will save you extra

3) Spez Toupe team saddle  Any saddle below 150g.  Easy 50g saving up for grabs there!

4) Look Keo sprint pedals (about 135 grams each - best buy in the Keo range when considering price vs weight)  Good idea but maybe a bit expensive.  Potential 100g saving here?

5) Lightweight tyres and tubes (for racing - don't need lightweight stuff for training. I use Conti GP4000 foldable tyres. They are a good weight and relatively robust. they don't cut too easy.)  Definitely foldable tyres!  Tubes don't matter that much.  Long valve tubes on that wheels are also not necessary.

6) Easton EA90 Aero rims (weigh in at 1450g for the set - anything lighter and you will need big bucks!!!!!. PS I don't know what the Mavics weigh)

Wheels will be the best but most expensive upgrade.  You can easily shed 500g here.

7)  Potential 50g saving on carbon bottle cages as well....although very expensive! 

GOOD LUCK and enjoy.

O yes....this will help as well:

QUOTE=BigBen]Wear just one sock .....

Eldron' date=' what is that in your avatar?

A flaming doodie?
[/quote']

The character is Gambit - thats a flaming card but now that you mention it - it does look doodyish...

@sterad - so can I call you a weenie now when I fly past you on the hills WinkLOLTongue ah gotta love bike weights/race times and egos - they're relative to the point of being meanigless.