MTB Newbie questions

NomadKP

Thanks for all the great tips.

Hi Nomad' date=' I don't speak Afrikaans, but I sort of understood your "baie welkom".  I just took on the handle that I normally use on the net, but would be glad to change it (if the mods allow) if the similarity might cause confusion.

[/quote']

No! Don't change, please. The more Nomads the Better! We can go hunting together. Just give me a hint on what the KP is short for.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what you're asking about really depends on the manufacturer's range. elite mountain would "xc" on another brand's website, ie for the core racer. trail is the kinda bike you would use for an all-day thrash with mates (or your bruised wife). it wouldn't be as light, but possibly more robust, and more what you're looking for. are you set on a raleigh?  

No! Don't change' date=' please. The more Nomads the Better! We can go hunting together. Just give me a hint on what the KP is short for.

[/quote']

Kewl.  KP are my initials. :)
NomadKP2007-06-08 04:46:25

No! Don't change' date=' please. The more Nomads the Better! We can go hunting together. Just give me a hint on what the KP is short for.

[/quote']

Kewl.  KP are my initials. :)

You're not Kevin Pietersen are you? Angry...................TongueWink

what you're asking about really depends on the manufacturer's range. elite mountain would "xc" on another brand's website' date=' ie for the core racer. trail is the kinda bike you would use for an all-day thrash with mates (or your bruised wife). it wouldn't be as light, but possibly more robust, and more what you're looking for. are you set on a raleigh?  [/quote']

Not really...  I'ts just that they seem to have the most in-depth website I've seen so far.

Just like everyone else, I'm gonna go with whoever I think gives best value for money.

Gotta do more research in the coming weeks (i.e. drop by at an LBS).  Am putting off buying a bike til next month otherwise there'll be more month than money in June.

KP - try the buyers guide on www.bicycling.co.za - it helped me a LOT when I was trying to decide.

so you got a lot of very sound advice . But then you mentioned value for money and it so happened that you landed on the Raleight Web site . Now I don't care much for what other people say , but there you will find a excelent bike at a price nobody else can beat . BUT minimum would be a RM , please no Marko/Game raleigh's .

Shoes - Got brand new pair of Olympics last week for R450.00 , the best MTB shoe around .

Helmut - get the best you can afford

You're not Kevin Pietersen are you? Angry...................TongueWink

Haha... just googled the name and found out he uses KP as his nickname.

No, I am not that KP.  In fact, I haven't got a clue about cricket. Tongue

hey kp' date=' got your bike yet?[/quote']

not yet.  Put off the purchase to sometime next month or even August as I convinced the government to join me. Big%20smile  It's going to be waaaaayyyy more expensive than planned now that I'm buying 2 of everything. Cry

Hmmm... maybe I should find her a "mtb-ers wives' club" that I can temporarily relegate her to, then get her a bike and gear a few months later.  hahaha...

KP - try the buyers guide on www.bicycling.co.za - it helped me a LOT when I was trying to decide.

Thanks! Will check it out.