MTB Newbie questions

NomadKP

ok you lot' date=' i ride a R2000 schwinn mesa and it suits me fine. now that that is off my chest here are a few tips from my side:

- ONLY buy from lbs (lbs = local bike shop) whether you buy new or second hand. they will (should) ensure that you get the right size and help you get correctly set up.

- use a R100 helmet on a R100 head and a R500 helmet on a R500 head (etc). the important thing to remember about supermarket helmets is that no one in the shop cares if they fall etc so you aren't guaranteed of their integrity from the moment you buy it.

- get sports sunglasses. not only do they help sunglasses wise, but they also keep dirt etc from your eyes. imagine no glasses and you are bolting downhill, turn a corner and there is a branch.... not a good idea

- i'd recommend SPD pedals and mtb shoes - they tend to be a bit tougher than tekkies so if (when) you fall they will give better protection

- get cycling shorts - the chamois (padding) in them help make the ride more comfy

- water bottles (and cages), a tubby bag, a spare tube and puncture kit and a pump are essential

- work out some form of ID to carry with you - a laminated card or a "buddy band" or such like

- remember the most important thing of all - HAVE FUN!!!!!
[/quote']

Cool, thanks for the info.  Sounds like I'm gonna have to spend for quite a few things if I decide to take up this sport.  I hear bike carriers can also be expensive. :( 

Missus isn't gonna be too happy about that.  hahaha... I was telling her last night that biking isn't going to be as costly as diving (something she wants to do) or photography (my other hobby, or shall I say addiction).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclelab has a Trek 4300 on special for R2750 - which seems like fairly good value for money. I'll recommend getting a pair of padded shorts - bike saddles are a lot harder than they used to be in high school. Also - toolkit' date=' spare tube, saddle bag, water bottle, and helmet. Clip-in pedals are cool too, but you'll have to budget for shoes and pedals extra.

Maybe stop by your local shop and have a look at all the cool toys and goodies.... then kiss your budget goodbye!!!

[/quote']

I'll check them out.  Will probably bring cash and leave the credit card at home. LOL

Just a warning' date=' if you get addicted, it gets expensive.  I started like you wanting a nice cheap entry level bike, then moved up to a +- R10000 bike and now I have a R20000+ bike.

[/quote']

This is what I wanna avoid.  Hahaha...

Nice entry level bike is the Giant Rincon.  I had great fun on mine and although I didn't look after it at all' date=' I didn't have a single problem with it.  They are about R2800.  The Giant Boulder also seems to be really popular, cheaper than the Rincon.

Good luck and have fun!!!  Just a warning, if you get addicted, it gets expensive.  I started like you wanting a nice cheap entry level bike, then moved up to a +- R10000 bike and now I have a R20000+ bike.

[/quote']

Dis hoekom ek net een keer wil koop en eers volgende jaar 'n nice een sal he!

NomadKP, shoes cost from around R600 up, bottle cages and bottles are cheap. rather get a backpack if you're gonna use for commuting - that's what I do (gives me the flexibility of choice between mtb and road bike for when i commute)

it only gets expensive when you get addicted and start upgrading and competing etc. otherwise it's cheaper than golf! Wink

NomadKP, why not enter our monthly prize give-away. For a R100 you could win a SRAM MTB gruppo, brakes and wheels and at the same time supporting a Cycle Safe Initiative. Check out the advert!!!

Hi' date='

I'm absolutely clueless about MTB but I know I wanna do it.  All I know is I'm spending too much time in malls and cafes during weekends and too little time outside jhb.  I don't wanna bike on roads because I don't wanna get run over by cars and trucks and I don't wanna run or hike because I like speed.  Hehehe...  Hence, I've concluded that mtb might be a good sport to take up.

Question is, what should I buy and how much would it cost me?  I know bikes are expensive and people would recommend buying something in the region of R3000, but if I can get away with a sub-R2000 bike, I'd go with that.

I don't wanna get into competitive or extreme stuff.  Just wanna have an excuse to go out of town on weekends and will most likely stick to beginners or intermediate stuff for now.

What else should I be getting in addition to the bike (helmet, of course)?  Can I mtb with my cargo or track pants or do I need cycling shorts?  Do I need gloves and leg and arm warmers?  Is a R100 helmet any good?

Looking forward to your replies.

Kevin
[/quote']

Don't worry Kev....you'll be sucked in and busting your piggybank and life savings in no time Wink

Hi' date='

I'm absolutely clueless about MTB but I know I wanna do it.  All I know is I'm spending too much time in malls and cafes during weekends and too little time outside jhb.  I don't wanna bike on roads because I don't wanna get run over by cars and trucks and I don't wanna run or hike because I like speed.  Hehehe...  Hence, I've concluded that mtb might be a good sport to take up.

Question is, what should I buy and how much would it cost me?  I know bikes are expensive and people would recommend buying something in the region of R3000, but if I can get away with a sub-R2000 bike, I'd go with that.

I don't wanna get into competitive or extreme stuff.  Just wanna have an excuse to go out of town on weekends and will most likely stick to beginners or intermediate stuff for now.

What else should I be getting in addition to the bike (helmet, of course)?  Can I mtb with my cargo or track pants or do I need cycling shorts?  Do I need gloves and leg and arm warmers?  Is a R100 helmet any good?

Looking forward to your replies.

Kevin
[/quote']

Hi Kevin

My opinion is that you should rather spend more money cause I can almost gaurentee that you will love riding and within a few months a entry level bike will feel insufficient and then you have to buy again. But thats just me! but also don't go for the retail store bikes! You wil just hate cycling if you have one of them!

I recently bought a MTB and spend a lot more than my original budget, but it is worth every cent! Knowing what I know I could have even spent more and still it would be worth it.  Good luck and have fun!

Ek is nie 'n double poster nie! Ek distansieer my totaal van NomadKP. Ek is NomadLP!

Baie welkom NomadKP. Thanks to wireless broadband kan ons nomadelike rondtrekkende jagters ook nou forums soos die oorvat!

Die ouens op die hub gee altyd goeie raad, jy kan maar luister.

Hi there

I recently bought a bike for my fiance when she got keen to ride....

I bought a Silverback Alpine for R2500. It is probably the best value for maney you can get. Not even the Raleighs compared.

Seriously it is a nice Bike... 24 speed Alivio with lockout shock. I rode it a couple of times and did a long side with it and I love it.

I will suggest it to anyone....

Really good value for money!

Some good advice ja... but no one thought of the good old FFR...

Fully Rigid Rig

Buy a bike without any suspension, ride it for 1 year just to learn the ropes about mtbk'ng, then buy a hardtail which can be replaced or complimented by a dual suspension beast at a later stage.

Straight after buying the Rigid rig, open an investement account dedicated to your future cycling costs cause soon you will be traveling all around SA to the various races / rides, and the wife / GF will also want one (bike), then you will be upgrading and buying all sorts of things you never dreamed off before and so it goes...

But dont worry it will be worth every pennyWink

well, since no one else has done it: a big warm hubber's welcome to the real cycling disciplineClaptell us all what you got and how you're getting on. oh, one last bit of advice: the round rubber things go on the ground, the polystyrene thingie should point to the heavens. that's the theory anyway

Thanks for all the great tips.

Hi Nomad, I don't speak Afrikaans, but I sort of understood your "baie welkom".  I just took on the handle that I normally use on the net, but would be glad to change it (if the mods allow) if the similarity might cause confusion.

I think I've gotten my foot in the door when the wife and I were discussing biking over the weekend, she seemed keen as long as she doesn't get battered and bruised on rides.  Yeah!  Although I think the battered and bruised part comes with the package.

Any feedback on Raleigh Adventure?

The Raleigh website categorizes mountain bikes into Elite Mountain, Trail and Others.  "Others" contains the bikes that one sees in Makro and Game, but does anyone know the difference between the "Trail" and "Elite Mountain" categories?