greeting etiquette

geoffro

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I greet everyone that I pass while I am on my bike, even people walking next to the road... Eigther you are friendly or not? It depends on you dude?

I make an effort to greet all riders when I'm out riding, granted it's always in the mountain so don't come across any roadies. For the most part everyone always greets back, others just stare which I can forgive them for Big%20smile.

If I do ride out on the road it's always on the sidewalk as I don't trust the drivers in the cars not to run me over when they realise that there is someone riding a unicycle. I greet the pedestrians. Some greet back, some jump out of the way thinking that I am going to run them over and cause massive injury to them, and some just scowl at me.

I'm a greeter, for sure! I sometimes even wave while I'm shouting 'morning' or 'good afternoon' at the top of my voice!

works everytime.......well, ok, not on the roadies.

To greet or not to greet?

Let's see. I like to be one of the friendlies on the road and try to greet most other cyclists regardless of roadie or MTB rider. That "appartheid thing" just confuses me.

There are time however, when it is just not possible to greet first or return the greeting from another kindred spirit.

1. I did not see you. (Sometimes I am just so "Zenned" The only thing I see is the road just ahead of me, my front wheel and partly, in the peripheral vision, maybe my speedo. (I am also old and partly short sighted but don'ttell anyone. They will take away my wheels.)

2. I was hanging onto the handle bars so hard that removing a hand to return a freindly greeting might result in me crashing. 

3. I was so focussed on the traffic, that it was not possoble for me to see you as in 1 above, or I was crap scared of prising my hand from the baras in 2 above.

4. The lights were on but no-one was home. (In truth I recently landed here from another planet and I was doing the zen thing as in 1 above.

5. My Mrs. shouted abuse at me about my riding habits and the dog bit me so I was having a bout of PMS or FSFMS (Feeling sorry for myself syndrome) and was completely distracted and oblivious to your franticllay waving arm.

6. I was just too out of breath to manage dragging my hand off the bars or even rasing my voice above a whsiper.

Last year this time, we arranged a ride to the circus farm and a fellow hubber passed me while I was agonising my way up the dreaded steps. He said a loud hello as he went past me. The net result was that I got such a fright, I almost jumped off the bike from terror. Fortunately I was nearing the end of my ride so a shower and change of clothes was the happening thing anyway. It was cleaning all that brown stuff out of the cysling kit and washing the bike that got me. (Hello again IanJ)

So greeting fellow sufferers is cool, but please do so carefully and without feeling bad when some crochety old fart has an instant bad reaction from the embarrassment of losing body control when you sneak up from behing and loudly hail you r greetings.

Similarly, if you are in your car, don't hoot and wave when you see me. I have the same reaction. My friends all know never to greet me too loudly from their bikes and never from their cars. Since I hardly ever notice them not greeting me (failing eyesight) they know I never hold it against them.

Being partly deaf, you really have to shout and that just makes my day. (NOT) I think it is time to look seriously at wearing diapers while cycling, to save the kit.  

To greet or not to greet?

Let's see. I like to be one of the friendlies on the road and try to greet most other cyclists regardless of roadie or MTB rider. That "appartheid thing" just confuses me.

There are time however' date=' when it is just not possible to greet first or return the greeting from another kindred spirit.

1. I did not see you. (Sometimes I am just so "Zenned" The only thing I see is the road just ahead of me, my front wheel and partly, in the peripheral vision, maybe my speedo. (I am also old and partly short sighted but don'ttell anyone. They will take away my wheels.)

2. I was hanging onto the handle bars so hard that removing a hand to return a freindly greeting might result in me crashing. 

[/quote']

The only time I don't wave at a passing cyclist is when I'm on my cellphone- especially when I'm taking a drink at the same time. Then I nod or wink.Big%20smile

Winkonly greet those who you deem worthy.  if you greet and they do not greet back remember to not greet at least the next five riders you pass.  if you pass a female cyclist always greet.  especially those who ride with long pony tails.  if you are on a good day give thier pony tails a frindly tug as you pass.  they will enjoy it and may give you an especially vocal greeting.  if you see any one who's kit costs more than your car do not greet - stare intently at your bike computer as if deeply contemplating your next interval. they will nod knowlingly and may greet you the next time.  but don't expect it.  runners especially like to run in groups in the left side of the road directly in your path - challenge them and see who calls chicken first.  if you have survived the dressing down from the female cyclist and are still a good day tuck into the drops and lower your head as you approach the runners. That way when you hit them - becuase runners do not move out of the way - you can truthfully claim to have not seen them.  In a nice twist you can always call out a greeting t other riders from inside the back of the ambulance as you go to hospital. what kit do you wear so I know if I must greet you.

Ahh greeting - the olde chestnut.

Mostly it's good fun unless it's the week before Argus/94.7 in which case your right forearm gets a better work out then your legs!!!!

on certain cape town roads it is may be appropiate to call out a greeting in the traditional cape flats style -  followed by various meaningfull hand gestures and signals. This will  create a sense of being in touch with the street and its lingo - and , when directed at a larger and faster rider, will culminate in an actuall physical meeting with the street by means of the riders fist. and the tar. and the small stones and thorn bushes on the side of the street. And in true cape town style those who come to assist you will do so by robbing you. If you are anywhere near Senator Park in Long Steet they may actually very kindly take you home with them.  And keep you there while convincing you to hand over any surviving bank cards, pin codes, trust funds and might your sister be free on Saterday night?

on certain cape town roads it is may be appropiate to call out a greeting in the traditional cape flats style -  followed by various meaningfull hand gestures and signals. This will  create a sense of being in touch with the street and its lingo - and ' date=' when directed at a larger and faster rider, will culminate in an actuall physical meeting with the street by means of the riders fist. and the tar. and the small stones and thorn bushes on the side of the street. And in true cape town style those who come to assist you will do so by robbing you. If you are anywhere near Senator Park in Long Steet they may actually very kindly take you home with them.  And keep you there while convincing you to hand over any surviving bank cards, pin codes, trust funds and might your sister be free on Saterday night?

[/quote']

Very funny but true - good one!!

Clap U r so rite. I've been riding in PE for 2yrs and often my wave or vocal hello also gets no response. My sister-in-law came down from Jhb this weekend & she also commented on this. She's been riding for 4yrs (rd & mtb) & said when yr in the pack, the guys have been really friendly but the ladies just dont greet... Road cyclists are especially guilty. Mtbikers are really great and always say "hi" or "how u doin" but Whatz up with the roadies Shocked?? I'm also a runner and runners have always greeted each other in passing. It's no skin off yr noze to greet guyz & especially dollz. Rookie cyclists might not look as great or ride as great but what the heck ?! a smile or a Hallo or wave will not cause any pain it actually makes the journey more enjoyable Tongue

the guys have been really friendly but the ladies just dont greet...

that's a strange phenomenon......

ever seen how many guys stop when a girl is in trouble with a chain slip or heaven forbid a flat....

how many guy stop when a guy has a flat.....?

Its programming....  sorry!

I was on the roadbike this morning (had to) cycled past a guy on a mtbike (had slicks on) He did not even bother to nod...

must be a roadie in training... 

in the most cynical of ways ... do you greet everyone you walk pass ?do you wave hello to other people in cars ?not all cyclists are friendly' date=' some are downright rude!. Runners are the most friendly. I greet everyone on my bike (mtn or road) I even say yello to taxi divers LOL

[/quote']

hey slow one... you do more than greet. your provide tea and croissants at 6am...